Whats the latest? Macerator Toilets for pump out system

Featured Posts

It seems if you spend a day looking at toilets for a pump out system you have to spend some serious spondoolicks on that product. 

I saw one on Midland Chandlery for nearly 900 quid !  No thanks. Oh and a 240 v self pump system on another site (ASAP I think) for nearly 800. Jesus H. For a little pump and a hose?  Nope.

Sorry, but been out of UK for nearly 20 years. Prices are definately hairy scary.

So as we have to buy four (4) toilets for the upcoming two boat project and I am asking for feedback as to:

a) The best value outlet  for either toilets  or just about everything, so I dont have to numb my brain searching Google any more.

b) Macerator or Vacuum or another, is the best system for pump out. I like Macerator and was wondering why you cant put an normal B&Q cloakroom bog with one of those add on macerator kits?   Must suff be "Marinised" for this?  Yes, with seawater flusking I could seen but on freshwater canals? 

c) I would imagine that having tanks tailor made in stainless would be more expensive that choosing a ready made plastic black water offereing. So the best value outlet for these are, who?

Thanks in advance

David

two boats and four toilets, are these for hire use, if so consider all the foreign objects that will go down them, maybe talk to the hire companies and see what give the least problems. Me I would go for a drop through any day, simple stuff, mounted on to of the tank so no pipes to stink.

• Greenie 3

Thanks for your thoughts but the design is decided . NOT hire boats and will work together as part of a unique project using the waterways.. The design is contemprary on a basic traditional lower hull. 

Therefore not looking for peoples preferences, just sourcing intel.

Thanks

Seen too many boats with macerators having to empty every fortnight. We're going for vacuum on our new widebeam. Only 1/4 the water to flush so much longer between tank emptying.

45 minutes ago, pearley said:

Seen too many boats with macerators having to empty every fortnight. We're going for vacuum on our new widebeam. Only 1/4 the water to flush so much longer between tank emptying.

All depends on how much flush water you set it to and how often you flush, most have 3 buttons, empty, short flush and empty and big flush and empty.

For the OP the macerator toilets on a boat are much smaller than domestic toilets( about 2/3rds size) and use a lot less flush water (big flush 2 litres, domestic flush typically 6 to 9 litres.) also they have 12 /24 volt pumps so do not need the inverter on. Domestic macerators are a law unto themselves as anyone who has had one will tell you, you flush the loo, sometimes the macerator runs then sometimes half an hour later, and they anr bloody noisy as well as being 240 volt AC.

Sounds to me like you either need to accept the cost of the well proven solution or take a risk on something else. If you're going to go for the something else option, take the advice of John Ruskin and put a little aside for when it goes wrong, after which you might have been better off going for the proper solution in the first place. Other opinions are available. ;)

20 minutes ago, Detling said:

All depends on how much flush water you set it to and how often you flush, most have 3 buttons, empty, short flush and empty and big flush and empty.

For the OP the macerator toilets on a boat are much smaller than domestic toilets( about 2/3rds size) and use a lot less flush water (big flush 2 litres, domestic flush typically 6 to 9 litres.) also they have 12 /24 volt pumps so do not need the inverter on. Domestic macerators are a law unto themselves as anyone who has had one will tell you, you flush the loo, sometimes the macerator runs then sometimes half an hour later, and they anr bloody noisy as well as being 240 volt AC.

Accept that with the vacuum toilet there is only one flush, which uses just under 1/2 litre. As you say, macerator takes more than that on its shortest flush. 

If course, with vacuum there is always the option to let more water in but never as much as 2 litres.

2 hours ago, David HK said:

a) buy cheap, buy twice. Do you really want to spend time repairing or replacing duff items that have been used for this purpose.

b) if your after a pump out the simplest and easiest to maintain is a drop through. Gravity keeps all the nastys in a box, macerators and vaccums have pipes and valves that if fail when you take them apart pour the contents into your living space.

c) depends on your choice of system, if drop through go metal tank , if macerator go plastic as there shouldn't be any weight on it. That being said metal boxes are generally happier to be abused, shoved, and less likely to be punctured inadvertently than plastic

I agree with drop through for minimal maintenance but would insist on two x about 1.5 to 2" breathers in each tank at opposite ends and  fit one with an extractor fan operated by a timed push button by the toilet. That should keep and smells to a minimum but many nowadays claim they do not get any.

As I have no practical experience of the simple sysytem and it sounds REAL simple BUT, has anyone a link to a schematic and what fitting are needed?

Does it work with one of those toilets with the hand pump flush on the side ( which you can get as electric these days.  Found the answer

Do you start the tank off with a disenfectant (blu ) inside at every empty cycle?

Thanks

Edited by David HK

2 hours ago, David HK said:

As I have no practical experience of the simple sysytem and it sounds REAL simple BUT, has anyone a link to a schematic and what fitting are needed?

Does it work with one of those toilets with the hand pump flush on the side ( which you can get as electric these days.  Found the answer

Do you start the tank off with a disenfectant (blu ) inside at every empty cycle?

Thanks

Red bit No, unless you wan't smells but you may want to us a biological treatment of even Oxy type detergent.

Edited by Tony Brooks

17 hours ago, pearley said:

Accept that with the vacuum toilet there is only one flush, which uses just under 1/2 litre. As you say, macerator takes more than that on its shortest flush. 

If course, with vacuum there is always the option to let more water in but never as much as 2 litres.

A macerstor toilet's shortest flush requires 0 water. It's the Empty function. Great for flushing just pee without filling the tank with unnecessary water - which most trips to the loo are. And, for those from the "If it's yellow, let it mellow" school of thought, half a bowl of pee is plenty to flush all but the most elephantine bowel movement. Again, saving water and reducing time between pump outs.

??

Whats most important is the tank - There's a reason Black Prince use tanks the same dimensions as a double bed for their macerator loos. They last weeks or months between pump outs.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Red bit No, unless you wan't smells but you may want to us a biological treatment of even Oxy type detergent.

how very very correct. Blue kills all bugs and microbes, as does any bleach used to clean the loo, this results in anaerobic bacteria growing which stink, as does blue. There are products that encourage aerobia bacterior to grow, or you can use bio washing powder/liquid to prime the tank. these allow aerobic bacterior to thrive and eat the nasties, converting them to soup,  but they need oxygen to do so, so adequate ventilation is required. Most boat builders do not understand the need for oxygen and only fit a single vent pipe of limited diameter. To overcome this on my boat I have fitted an auarium air pump on a timer, set to totally change the air in the tank twice a day,  seems to work fine.

I've got a old Sealand dump through with a2" breather vented to a skin fitting. It only smells when it's getting very full, had to replace the seals once as they tend to get all chewed up and the valve doesn't return fully. Not a nice job but pretty easy.

Never had any issues with blocking or persistent smells though, and I've always done the bio washing up liquid option. 

Thanks all for this great info. Now only need to find 4 reasonably price toilets.  The Albin / Jabsco hand pump items are nice prices but make it electric and .. ouch. 

Spose I will have to bite the bullet because I can't see our clients enjoying the pumping to flush experience. 

14 minutes ago, David HK said:

Thanks all for this great info. Now only need to find 4 reasonably price toilets.  The Albin / Jabsco hand pump items are nice prices but make it electric and .. ouch. 

Spose I will have to bite the bullet because I can't see our clients enjoying the pumping to flush experience. 

Dump-throughs are not pump to flush. They use the boat's pressure water system or a dedicated pressurised supply. Without knowing much about the business and who would be using the toilets its very hard to know which would be best. Whatever sort you choose will almost certainly need some strongy worded dos and don'ts for users. Otherwise you will be undertaking regular unblocking type maintenance as the maccerator or vacuum vavles clog with myriad wetwipes etc.