Kate boats Stockton to?

Mike Coe

Featured Posts

Stoke Bruerne with a diversion via The Leicester Arm to Foxton?

3 Locks at Calcutt, which ever route south you take.

Braunston Locks & tunnel.

Watford locks and possibly down & up the Foxton Flight.

Buckby flight and Blisworth tunnel.

Visit the museum at Stoke Bruerne.

Plenty of room to wind.

Or South Oxford Canal to Banbury.

Napton Flight and Claydon Flight.

Or North Oxford, Coventry Canal to Ashby Canal.

3 locks at Hillmorton and a stop lock at Hawkesbury Junction.

Edited by Ray T

If you are hiring from Stockton, it does not make a lot of sense to go in the direction of Kingswood unless you are doing the Warwickshire ring.

Going south I think you basically have the options from Ray. 

Before we had our boat, we hired for a week from Kate Boats at Stockton, we went south on the GU and turned just past the aqueduct at Cosgrove.  We then came back up the GU, and then onto the South Oxford and to Fenny Compton, where we turned and headed back. It was easy in a hire week with 2 adults ands 2 teenage children, we only got as far as Braunston on the first night, and the last night was above Calcutt locks.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I always liked what Calcutt called the four locks route although in your case it will be seven. That is Braunston, North Oxford, Coventry and Ashby.

It would be 5 for a hire boat from Calcutt!

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

t would be 5 for a hire boat from Calcutt!

Well yes except Calcutt put you through the top lock and that leaves 3 at Hillmorton and one at the Greyhound unless you are couting the ungated stop lock at the start of the Ashby.

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well yes except Calcutt put you through the top lock and that leaves 3 at Hillmorton and one at the Greyhound unless you are couting the ungated stop lock at the start of the Ashby.

No I was counting Calcutt top!

I’ve done weekend and midweek (three night and four night respectively) hires from Stockton Top. You asked about Kingswood which if your 6 days means a 7 night hire would be a very easy trip in terms of time but would mean a lot of double locks in both directions.

We did the bottom of Foxton and return in a very active four night hire so I would suggest perhaps aiming for Market Harborough for a relaxed 7 night trip. As @Ray T says Foxton and Stoke Bruerne is possible but whereas Buckby locks are horrible and hard work the flights at Foxton and Watford are easy because you’ll likely be worked through by the volunteer lock-keepers and gongoozlers.

I’d suggest making Market Harborough (or just Foxton if you prefer) your first destination and then see if you are up for Stoke Bruerne.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

...  unless you are couting the ungated stop lock at the start of the Ashby.

I always love to stop there and pretend to work through that lock, pushing the imaginary gates and winding the imaginary paddles. It sure confuses any boat that is following me, especially when I stop and back-set it for them!

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I always love to stop there and pretend to work through that lock, pushing the imaginary gates and winding the imaginary paddles. It sure confuses any boat that is following me, especially when I stop and back-set it for them!

Allan,

Are you on the 'good stuff' already?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

230471871_MBRocket.jpg.6f48fd9418c90797baf053823ea0d817.jpg

16 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ll second that. Well worth a visit.

Thirded. A friendly pub with excellent beer and some of the best fish'n'chips we've ever had ?

(and yes, that includes having tried all the best chippies in Whitby...)