Crossing the Wash Boston - Kings Lynn June

Longmeadow

Featured Posts

We have arranged with a guide to cross the Wash from Boston to Denver (Kings Lynn) between June 10th - June 15th (weather permitting). If anyone else is interested in sharing the cost of the guide  and joining us please let us know, via Message please.

13 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I believe they're called pilots. The wash is many things, but certainly not Everest ........

I stand to be corrected but I think they are not official pilots under the Pilotage Act, but offer their services rather as very experienced guides,  and therefore I think the term guide is more appropriate. Scholar Gipsy on this forum has done the trip - I think more than once -  and he has a comprehensive file of his arrangements, preparations  and any points to watch out for. I am sure he would be able to give chapter and verse on any arrangements needed for a successful passage.

Howard

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, howardang said:

I stand to be corrected but I think they are not official pilots under the Pilotage Act, but offer their services rather as very experienced guides,  and therefore I think the term guide is more appropriate. Scholar Gipsy on this forum has done the trip - I think more than once -  and he has a comprehensive file of his arrangements, preparations  and any points to watch out for. I am sure he would be able to give chapter and verse on any arrangements needed for a successful passage.

Howard

Howard, you are quite correct...the term 'guide' is preferred by those so engaged.  As regards to Scholar Gipsy, yes there is much information to be found contributed by him. Thank you for your input

We did the trip, Boston to Wisbech, two years ago with Daryll Hill as guide/pilot. I can recommend his services.

We didn't beach, which was a bit of a shame, but we were entertained while at anchor by the RAF and USAF dropping practice bombs on the range at Donna Nook.

The 180 turn to face the tide and moor at Wisbech was a tad 'interesting'. I never like going sideways, narrowboats weren't designed for that sort of thing and it didn't help that the boat behind us didn't follow Darylll's instructions to hold back and got in the way.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

We did the trip, Boston to Wisbech, two years ago with Daryll Hill as guide/pilot. I can recommend his services.

We didn't beach, which was a bit of a shame, but we were entertained while at anchor by the RAF and USAF dropping practice bombs on the range at Donna Nook.

The 180 turn to face the tide and moor at Wisbech was a tad 'interesting'. I never like going sideways, narrowboats weren't designed for that sort of thing and it didn't help that the boat behind us didn't follow Darylll's instructions to hold back and got in the way.

If I was doing that trip I wouldn’t beach by choice. I would rather wait out the tide at anchor.

Although many boats have beached there without mishap over the years, personally I am not keen on the idea of beaching in relatively open water in a boat which is not designed for open water at the best of times and certainly not for sitting on banks where there might be a chance, albeit remote, of sitting on a rock which may be exposed. If a canal boat suffers a punctured bottom plate as a consequence it would be very unusual for it to be equipped with adequate pumping arrangements to keep her afloat, far less being able to keep afloat long enough to proceed to a place of safety.

I would much rather wait quietly at anchor if possible, or if not then cruise slowly around in the area until the tide is favourable to resume the passage. Boring I know, but why take an additional  risk when you don’t need to.

Howard

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, howardang said:

If I was doing that trip I wouldn’t beach by choice. I would rather wait out the tide at anchor.

Although many boats have beached there without mishap over the years, personally I am not keen on the idea of beaching in relatively open water in a boat which is not designed for open water at the best of times and certainly not for sitting on banks where there might be a chance, albeit remote, of sitting on a rock which may be exposed. If a canal boat suffers a punctured bottom plate as a consequence it would be very unusual for it to be equipped with adequate pumping arrangements to keep her afloat, far less being able to keep afloat long enough to proceed to a place of safety.

I would much rather wait quietly at anchor if possible, or if not then cruise slowly around in the area until the tide is favourable to resume the passage. Boring I know, but why take an additional  risk when you don’t need to.

Howard

I think you'd need a very strong rock to generate enough pressure to puncture the 10mm baseplate of the narrowboat. In the days when we did blacking on a trailer, the whole weigh of the boat would be supported on two steel pipes across the width the hull at 1/3 and 2/3 of the length without problems. Given the amount of support you'd get from deform-able sand, I just can't see it. I'm sure our engineering colleagues will be along to comment soon.

MP.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Has anyone ever found a rock out there, I thought it was all shifting sands that pile up and brake surface at low tide

Maybe no one but I wouldn’t like to be the first!

As for the size of the rock etc. who knows what may be there , and of course you would have to be very unlucky to find one but I would much prefer not to be the one that does! It could also be, say, a jettisoned anchor? Caution is the watchword?

Howard

The practice does seem to vary across the country - for example the Severn and Mersey crossings do involve Pilots, but I think the Wash normally does not (ie a guide).  This was not helped by my insurer requiring me to have a pilot ....

Arriving at Wisbech in the dark (2019) was most entertaining. Here we are at about 2330. As you can see I had left my stern light on... (the boat with the flagpole). 

Second photo shows one of the Wrecks that you need to avoid. 

For anyone who's not seen it, here is my collation of resources. I am sure Daryl has already set out the required standard for the bacon butties. https://scholargypsy.org.uk/washing/  

wisbech_moored_small.jpg

dji_0231.jpeg

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The practice does seem to vary across the country - for example the Severn and Mersey crossings do involve Pilots, but I think the Wash normally does not (ie a guide).  This was not helped by my insurer requiring me to have a pilot ....

Arriving at Wisbech in the dark (2019) was most entertaining. Here we are at about 2330. As you can see I had left my stern light on... (the boat with the flagpole). 

For anyone who's not seen it, here is my collation of resources. I am sure Daryl has already set out the required standard for the bacon butties. https://scholargypsy.org.uk/washing/  

wisbech_moored_small.jpg

dji_0231.jpeg

What a brilliant shot. What was it taken from?

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

wisbech_moored_small.jpg

dji_0231.jpeg

Which one of these boats is the wreck to avoid?

Can't make it out,but what's that sticky uppy thing in the sea?

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Which one of these boats is the wreck to avoid?

Can't make it out,but what's that sticky uppy thing in the sea?

Ha, ha, the wreck is in the distance on the extreme left of the photograph. I thought I had a better photo of it but I cannot find it. Here is one from the drone.

DJI_0234.jpeg.9dd007bed609dae28cdd75bb9fa0489b.jpeg

This is RAF#4 beacon, which you (obviously, given the cones and the colouring) pass to the east of.  I think its main function (seems a bit over-engineered?) is to hold a tide & weather monitoring station. Doesn't appear to be working today: https://thewash.port-log.net/live/Display.php?Site=TW04

dsc_4538.jpg 

Thanks for the reply SG.As one used to the reassuring sight of dry land a couple of yards either side I found your post interesting but I don't have enough brave pills in stock to attempt to cross The Wash.

• Greenie 1

On 10/05/2021 at 16:11, Mad Harold said:

Thanks for the reply SG.As one used to the reassuring sight of dry land a couple of yards either side I found your post interesting but I don't have enough brave pills in stock to attempt to cross The Wash.

I would say it all depends on the weather. On a flat calm and a sunny day it is just glorious. If there is a bit of wind it gets a bit more exciting and you need to concentrate on what the waves are doing. If there is too much wind Daryl won't go. It is not unusual for narrow boats to wait for a week for suitable weather.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/05/2021 at 20:55, howardang said:

Maybe no one but I wouldn’t like to be the first!

As for the size of the rock etc. who knows what may be there , and of course you would have to be very unlucky to find one but I would much prefer not to be the one that does! It could also be, say, a jettisoned anchor? Caution is the watchword?

Howard

I understand another quite common detritus that turns up in the Wash on occasion can be that most worthwhile Rolls Royce product, The Merlin aero engine.  Something else you wouldn't want to bottom out on.