Leaky borders might mean boat licences

Featured Posts

I cannot quite see how this will stop the illegal immigrants being loaded into a rubber dinghy in France and told 'head that way'.

Are there many people smugglers going from the UK to pick them up and bringing them back ?

Leaky borders might mean boat licences | News | The Times

Anyone wishing to buy a boat could be forced to obtain a licence beforehand under new laws to combat the surge of people smuggling across the Channel

Currently there is no legal requirement to have a licence to buy or drive a private boat at sea. But under new proposals being considered, anyone trying to buy an engine-powered boat of any size would need to present a licence, The Times understands. The Maritime and Coastguard Agency would be responsible for issuing licences, and could keep a register of people who have applied for one.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

My immediate thoughts were it would cost to get a licence then you'd have to renew it every so many years... Basically boater tax!

Yup. Or at best  paperwork boaters pay the admin costs of

If they're going for the migrants angle to sell it they haven't even thought about real benefits

It seems brexit has been a success and they are now going the other way, not quite sure of the logic of trying to stop people entering and sending them away then trying to stop people leaving

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-56950033

Lorry driver jailed for bid to smuggle people out of the UK

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Sooner or later this had to happen. Nothing to do with asylum seekers. Everything to do with the politicians hatred of people doing stuff without being tested, licensed, charged, counted, and under the eye of the state. This is not even a left versus right thing although the right feel they have the god given right to tell people how to live their lives  . No doubt the 'if you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to worry about' brigade will see this as being perfectly OK.

• Greenie 3
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I cannot quite see how this will stop the illegal immigrants being loaded into a rubber dinghy in France and told 'head that way'.

Are there many people smugglers going from the UK to pick them up and bringing them back ?

There have been stories about inflatables being bought in the UK, taken to France in the back of a van, and then inflated on the beach there for the (single use) crossing. 

If that's accurate, making those purchases more trackable might have some effect. There are probably better ways of doing that than licensing though. 

11 minutes ago, Bee said:

Sooner or later this had to happen. Nothing to do with asylum seekers. Everything to do with the politicians hatred of people doing stuff without being tested, licensed, charged, counted, and under the eye of the state. This is not even a left versus right thing although the right feel they have the god given right to tell people how to live their lives  . No doubt the 'if you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to worry about' brigade will see this as being perfectly OK.

I wonder how this will apply to the 500,000 coastal boats and (probably) another 500,000 that live at peoples homes on trailers.

How can it be implemented retrospectively ?

How will it control the sales of secondhand boats via Gumtree etc ?

I don't see how it can be applied, except to the buyers of new boats from the manufacturers or dealers.

Thinking about it, I guess the majority of boaters have insurance, so maybe it could be that you cannot get insurance without a 'licence to buy or own.'

There is a political divide between left and right but also  between authoritarian and libertarian you vote labour because you believe in social equality and end up with an authoritarian like Jack Straw or you vote conservative because you believe in freedom from state control and end up with and authoritarian like Pritti interesting quiz here to establish were you are on the spectrum https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

22 minutes ago, Bee said:

22 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think the left love a nanny state just as much…no government likes it population to have freedom really. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how this will apply to the 500,000 coastal boats and (probably) another 500,000 that live at peoples homes on trailers.

How can it be implemented retrospectively ?

How will it control the sales of secondhand boats via Gumtree etc ?

I don't see how it can be applied, except to the buyers of new boats from the manufacturers or dealers.

Thinking about it, I guess the majority of boaters have insurance, so maybe it could be that you cannot get insurance without a 'licence to buy or own.'

you are supporting, aiding and abetting those who would run a nanny state if you are going to suggest practical ways to enforce it.   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, alias said:

There have been stories about inflatables being bought in the UK, taken to France in the back of a van, and then inflated on the beach there for the (single use) crossing. 

If you are going to do that, why wouldn't you just buy your inflatables in France?

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you are going to do that, why wouldn't you just buy your inflatables in France?

I think there are some rules there already about who you sell to

34 minutes ago, frangar said:

I think the left love a nanny state just as much…no government likes it population to have freedom really. 

its a different spectrum to left and right i.e. Ghandi left libertarian, Stalin left authoritarian

2 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I think there are some rules there already about who you sell to

Any boat with an engine over 6hp (including Jet Skis) needs to be licenced.

The boat should have a book called "Acte de Francisation" which is where you will find the ship's registration number (and other details) from new and names + date of ownership for all previous owners. When you buy a boat, you need to take the book to the "Receveur des Douanes" (The customs where your boat is shown to be attached to... Also visible in the Acte de Francisation) to have it amended.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

And of course the Labour party have never done that when in power have they? 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

And of course the Labour party have never done that when in power have they? 

Of course not, never, at least I don't think so. Can't actually remember that far back!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

It seems brexit has been a success and they are now going the other way, not quite sure of the logic of trying to stop people entering and sending them away then trying to stop people leaving

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-56950033

Lorry driver jailed for bid to smuggle people out of the UK

people who come here legally (student/visitor visa) but have overstayed often go to countries like italy where they can get permanent residence easily... 

• Greenie 1

I was surprised to find that you didn’t need a boat licence in the U.K. Here in Spain the boat has to be licenced and insured and everyone who steers the boat has to have a licence. Getting a licence for a boat up to 6 metres is easy and needs only basic knowledge of Spanish but you are restricted to going only two kilometres offshore. It cost us about €150 each to get a licence. We went out on the testers boat for the day and the six people doing the “test” steered the boat for twenty minutes each, tied a few knots, answered a couple of questions and that was it. Of course no one failed to get their licence. No need to be tested on VHF, many boats don’t even have it. Getting higher levels of licences involves more testing and a knowledge if Spanish but it’s doable.