Where exactly were the old Callis Mill lock gate workshops?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

Ah, yes, thanks, now you mentioned Charlestown I think I found them.  A bit further than just 'Callis Mill'. 

https://goo.gl/maps/au8VLXARJ8NAWxue9

If you spin that view to the right you see the current Callis Mill building, which at the time of the lock gate workshops was occupied by a firm called Aquaspersions, who relocated some years ago. The building is currently being refurbished by the Community arm of Drum Machine for use as a Community Arts Centre.

https://whatisdrum.org.uk/home

Pan to the left and you see the front wall of a weaving shed  now demolished which is where the lock gate workshop was (and is now used for storing large water pipes and fittings). At the back of the site there is a bridge over the river leading straight onto the towpath, and I assume gates could be loaded directly onto boats here.

Edited by David Mack

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

At the back of the site there is a bridge over the river leading straight onto the towpath, and I assume gates could be loaded directly onto boats here.

And boats could be loaded onto trucks there as well ;)

008_06A.JPG

007_05A.JPG

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

No

A copy of a "Duker" barge built by Tayberg.

Nice, eh! Sad that both outfits are no more. They made some valuable contributions to the stock of craft on the inland waterways (P & A further afield).

18 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Interesting use of old lock gates.

Yes that's one of the reasons I chose that picture ?

Pictures date from January 2002, don't have any site ones I was more interested in taking pictures of my then "new" boat.

DSCF0003.JPG

Edited by Loddon