Flooring surface

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

I had B&Q  adhesive vinyl planks laid down throughout the boat for years never had a problem,

As long as they are installed right way there will be no problems. I did ask around first for the best

thing to lay them down on. I was told to use tempered hardboard smooth side up on top of  

fibreboard underlay. Which is what I did and it has been down for over ten years.  

20 hours ago, Detling said:

I have laid B & Q stick down vinyl on smooth plywood with no problems in 6 years hard use.  I thinnk the secret is smooth plywood which was vacuum cleaned and then painted with PVA before laying the self adhesive tiles and rolled down with a rolling pin with a lot of pressure to ensure they were stuck with no air underneath.

Thanks firesprite & Detling, good to know that it has worked for some.

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

The trouble with the stick on vinyl is that the floor moves, the planks either rise up against one another, or open up and trap dirt, and show colour below.

Once you use any adhesive, it's a nightmare to remove.

My floor base could not have been less smooth. I really did not like the B&Q look.

Thanks Lady G - I am hoping to try and mitigate any movement in the floor it may be laid on.

Forgive my presumption, but do you mean more smooth rather than less smooth?

19 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

Take it back and ask for a credit note or swap no cash 

Cheers Feeby100. Bought it all in Sep 2020. Phoned B & Q yesterday to see what they say as there is 135 day return policy. My point was that it has sat in the boat during lockdown so there was less (just) than 135 useful days. Chap on the phone said 'go to the local branch, they may give you a credit note' Fair enough, but I may stick (no pun intended) with it if I can be sure of a suitable sub-surface

11 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks firesprite & Detling, good to know that it has worked for some.

Thanks Lady G - I am hoping to try and mitigate any movement in the floor it may be laid on.

Forgive my presumption, but do you mean more smooth rather than less smooth?

I mean it was very rough, as the ply had been covered with a sort of B&Q pseudo parquet which had worn badly. 

Thresholds are the bit between rooms where you might install a threshold strip, these may change from lino to carpet. So have different profiles.

My stick on planks also looked a bit like grey wood, textured, so gstthred lots of nice grey black, not easy to remove without a scrubbing brush, looked OK for a few weeks.

I recommend Artco in any area likely to get wet. 

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I mean it was very rough, as the ply had been covered with a sort of B&Q pseudo parquet which had worn badly. 

Thresholds are the bit between rooms where you might install a threshold strip, these may change from lino to carpet. So have different profiles.

My stick on planks also looked a bit like grey wood, textured, so gstthred lots of nice grey black, not easy to remove without a scrubbing brush, looked OK for a few weeks.

I recommend Artco in any area likely to get wet. 

I thought you meant rough, just wanted to be sure. Would that not make the vinyl a pig to stick anyway?

I understand what Sir Percy meant by thrteshold (although I didn't make that clear) I just wasn't sure how that was pertinent to getting access to the bilge - unless they were two different strands which i took as one.

I looked at Artco but couldn't seem to find a supplier - proabab;y should look harder.

I've got adhesive backed vinyl planks on an uneven floor. Firstly, they are much warmer to walk on in winter than the old laminate planks that were there.

Secondly, because the vinyl planks are quite thin, in a couple of places where the floor was uneven, I built up the small dip with off cuts of the vinyl, then laid one of the planks across it perpendicular to the direction the rest of the planks were to be laid, to create a smooth transition. I then laid the rest of the vinyl flooring on top of it. It smoothed out the wibble well. It's in a corridor so has the most footfall of the boat. The vinyl plank flooring has been down 3 or more years now and only just now is the slight difference in terrain starting to show there. I've got a couple more boxes of planks should I want to replace any in the future. It has been infinitely less trouble than the laminate, and has been hard wearing even by the kitchen sink (I get quite splishy when (reluctantly) doing the washing up)  and by the front door where wet boots walk in. 

Since you've already bought the planks, why not just use them. If you don't like the result in a few years' time you could always put a different flooring on top of them. 

1 hour ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I've got adhesive backed vinyl planks on an uneven floor. Firstly, they are much warmer to walk on in winter than the old laminate planks that were there.

Secondly, because the vinyl planks are quite thin, in a couple of places where the floor was uneven, I built up the small dip with off cuts of the vinyl, then laid one of the planks across it perpendicular to the direction the rest of the planks were to be laid, to create a smooth transition. I then laid the rest of the vinyl flooring on top of it. It smoothed out the wibble well. It's in a corridor so has the most footfall of the boat. The vinyl plank flooring has been down 3 or more years now and only just now is the slight difference in terrain starting to show there. I've got a couple more boxes of planks should I want to replace any in the future. It has been infinitely less trouble than the laminate, and has been hard wearing even by the kitchen sink (I get quite splishy when (reluctantly) doing the washing up)  and by the front door where wet boots walk in. 

Since you've already bought the planks, why not just use them. If you don't like the result in a few years' time you could always put a different flooring on top of them. 

Shoud you need to replace a section due damage, Warm the plank section thats to removed with a hair dryer on a high setting to soften the adhesive.

12 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

I understand what Sir Percy meant by thrteshold (although I didn't make that clear) I just wasn't sure how that was pertinent to getting access to the bilge - unless they were two different strands which i took as one.

On 08/05/2021 at 17:50, Sir Percy said:

Agree with that. I've taken the time to put in removable sections; it would be silly then to stick down a layer on top of that. 

However, it could be possible to use adhesive only on the boards which don't cross the threshold between those sections of flooring.

@Rick Savery May have been some confusion. There was a comment regarding planks stuck down with adhesive making it impossible to access the bilge. My thought was that if you have removable and fixed sections of flooboard, you could stick down plank on each individual section, but loose-lay planks across the border of the setions where they butt up against each other.

5 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Thanks BlueStringPudding. I think that I could have made better choices to begin with, but hindsight is wonderful. I will in all likelihood go with what I have.

It is good to hear that it can work

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Shoud you need to replace a section due damage, Warm the plank section thats to removed with a hair dryer on a high setting to soften the adhesive.

Good tip, Thanks for that

4 minutes ago, Sir Percy said:

@Rick Savery May have been some confusion. There was a comment regarding planks stuck down with adhesive making it impossible to access the bilge. My thought was that if you have removable and fixed sections of flooboard, you could stick down plank on each individual section, but loose-lay planks across the border of the setions where they butt up against each other.

Ah right, I get it now. I admit to originally being slightly confused. i hope to cut out some inspection holes in the floor and corresponding vinyl as there are none at present. Trick will be where to locate them so they don't show up like a bulldog's bits if I don't make a neat job of it  

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

i hope to cut out some inspection holes in the floor and corresponding vinyl as there are none at present. Trick will be where to locate them so they don't show up like a bulldog's bits if I don't make a neat job of it  

Inside a wardrobe or under the back steps are typical locations. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding