Flooring surface

Featured Posts

Hello

I am taking up the old, tatty carpet on most of the boat with a view to laying adhesive vinyl planks from B & Q.

The ply that I found under the carpet looks like shutter ply and, although sound, it is not the smoothest surface and i worry that all the bumps would show through the thin vinyl.

What would be the best thing to do, lay a thin but smooth 6mm ply over the top first, or seal the shutter ply with something which would both seal and smooth out the imperfections - latex, PVA based?

Thanks for usual help and advice

I’d be tempted to bed a thinnish layer of something on to a bed of flexible floor tile adhesive, applied with a notched trowel. Tile-backer board might be worth looking at - it can be quite thin while also being less affected by moisture than ply. 

You’d want to be careful where the boards join to avoid ridges showing through the vinyl. Perhaps lay some thin battens over the joins, screwed down while the adhesive sets. You could also skim the joints with a bit of feathering compound if you needed to. 

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

I'd be inclined to consider the B&Q 'click lock' vinyl planking. This is thicker than your adhesive one, and is much more durable. It is more expensive, but will last much,much longer

much easier than my suggestion! 

Depends on how flat the subfloor is. Looselay can move around a bit on an uneven subfloor. Karndean technical have told me that their gluedown range would be better for my uneven floor. 

I take my shoes off on the boat so In the end I decided against any karndean as it's too cold underfoot. I've got B&Q click-lock laminate flooring in my bathroom and kitchen but wouldn't use it again for the same reason. I'm thinking about wood effect Flotex flooring laid over Regupol 4515 Multi 3mm to compensate for the subfloor joints, imperfections, etc. This is the stuff Karndean recommend.

https://flooringwarehousedirect.co.uk/product/regupol-4515-multi-3mm/  

Edited by blackrose

Do NOT buy B&Q, I have had stick on planks, bad.

I have had carpet, not good unless you never let a particle of dirt inside boat and hoover every day.

Flotex was expensive, but never looked 'super', and as cat was brown, carpet ended up brown.

I have now laid Artco, off Ebay needs to be cut upside down, then laid, temp needs to be warm. brother thinks it looks like a hospital, I think it is clean and easy to clean.

Ve aware that the youtube vlogs show that it is easy to cut, it is easy to cut if very warm, otherwise it is rhinoscerous hide,

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

Hello

I am taking up the old, tatty carpet on most of the boat with a view to laying adhesive vinyl planks from B & Q.

No

Edited by LadyG

51 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

I’d be tempted to bed a thinnish layer of something on to a bed of flexible floor tile adhesive, applied with a notched trowel. Tile-backer board might be worth looking at - it can be quite thin while also being less affected by moisture than ply. 

You’d want to be careful where the boards join to avoid ridges showing through the vinyl. Perhaps lay some thin battens over the joins, screwed down while the adhesive sets. You could also skim the joints with a bit of feathering compound if you needed to. 

Thanks for that. Would I need to use adhesive? Could I not just nail the layer down with thin headless pins or similar? Skimming the joints and nail head sounds good, if nailing is OK

50 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I'd be inclined to consider the B&Q 'click lock' vinyl planking. This is thicker than your adhesive one, and is much more durable. It is more expensive, but will last much,much longer

Thanks Ex Brummie. Unfortunately I have already bought the vinyl planks in a burst of over-eagerness.

Similar reply to Tonka, thank you. Not sure why Karndean would be better? isn't the same thickness but considerably more expensive? I presume the quality may well be better but isn't thickness the key issue? 

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Do NOT buy B&Q, I have had stick on planks, bad.

I have had carpet, not good unless you never let a particle of dirt inside boat and hoover every day.

Flotex was expensive, but never looked 'super', and as cat was brown, carpet ended up brown.

I have now laid Artco, off Ebay needs to be cut upside down, then laid, temp needs to be warm. brother thinks it looks like a hospital, I think it is clean and easy to clean.

Ve aware that the youtube vlogs show that it is easy to cut, it is easy to cut if very warm, otherwise it is rhinoscerous hide,

No

Ah, LadyG, thanks . I think I should have asked the question some time ago before i had bought the flooring - too late to take it back I think, bought well before the last lockdown.

So, have to persevere with what i've got

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Depends on how flat the subfloor is. Looselay can move around a bit on an uneven subfloor. Karndean technical have told me that their gluedown range would be better for my uneven floor. 

I take my shoes off on the boat so In the end I decided against any karndean as it's too cold underfoot. I've got B&Q click-lock laminate flooring in my bathroom and kitchen but wouldn't use it again for the same reason. I'm thinking about wood effect Flotex flooring laid over Regupol 4515 Multi 3mm to compensate for the subfloor joints, imperfections, etc. This is the stuff Karndean recommend.

https://flooringwarehousedirect.co.uk/product/regupol-4515-multi-3mm/  

Thanks Blackrose. I'm beginning to feel I have bought the wrong product! Sadly I have to go with what I've got, but good info for the rest of the boat (bedroom at least) as I have only bought enough of the B & Q adhesive vinyl for the saloon at present.

2 hours ago, Slim said:

My advice would be to bite the bullet, throw it away and start again. I know, I've got some.??? 

I am beginning to think this might not be a bad idea - although I won't throw it away, its about £130 worth ?

Back to the drwaing board possibly so will look at suggestions above more closely now

3 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

Ah, LadyG, thanks . I think I should have asked the question some time ago before i had bought the flooring - too late to take it back I think, bought well before the last lockdown.

So, have to persevere with what i've got

Thanks Blackrose. I'm beginning to feel I have bought the wrong product! Sadly I have to go with what I've got, but good info for the rest of the boat (bedroom at least) as I have only bought enough of the B & Q adhesive vinyl for the saloon at present.

I'd just carry on and see how long it lasts. I'm sure I've heard that some people think it's fine.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

I am beginning to think this might not be a bad idea - although I won't throw it away, its about £130 worth ?

Back to the drawing board possibly so will look at suggestions above more closely now

Or put it in the least footfall area, the bedroom/bathroom? with plenty of rugs on it.   (I corrected your spelling of "drawing" just because I couldn't bear to send it back, sorry!) 

Sounds worth a look, thanks.

I can't get the hang of deleting duplicate quotes, so forgive the confusion

No, can't get rid of the blasted things

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Perhaps LVT Underlay 

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Perhaps LVT Underlay 

1 minute ago, Chagall said:

Or put it in the least footfall area, the bedroom/bathroom? with plenty of rugs on it.   (I corrected your spelling of "drawing" just because I couldn't bear to send it back, sorry!) 

No problem at all with spelling corrections - I type fast and I have large hands ? really should get in the habit or reading my replies before posting though!

I don't have an issue with the product itself and its longevity, I just want to find out what to lay it on considering the existing flooring is shutter ply.

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'd just carry on and see how long it lasts. I'm sure I've heard that some people think it's fine.

Thanks Blackrose. It's not the product I have an issue with per se, it's what to lay it on really. I too, have heard that it is quite good, I am just not convinced that the bumpiness of the shutter ply type underfloor won't show through without something underneath

Personally I would lay more carpet, I like to be able to get at the bottom of the boat if possible and permanently fixed flooring makes that impossible. Carpets or rugs are warm, soft, easy to lay and can be cheap enough to be disposable.

19 minutes ago, Bee said:

I like to be able to get at the bottom of the boat if possible and permanently fixed flooring makes that impossible. 

Agree with that. I've taken the time to put in removable sections; it would be silly then to stick down a layer on top of that. 

However, it could be possible to use adhesive only on the boards which don't cross the threshold between those sections of flooring.

I had B&Q  adhesive vinyl planks laid down throughout the boat for years never had a problem,

As long as they are installed right way there will be no problems. I did ask around first for the best

thing to lay them down on. I was told to use tempered hardboard smooth side up on top of  

fibreboard underlay. Which is what I did and it has been down for over ten years.  

I have laid B & Q stick down vinyl on smooth plywood with no problems in 6 years hard use.  I thinnk the secret is smooth plywood which was vacuum cleaned and then painted with PVA before laying the self adhesive tiles and rolled down with a rolling pin with a lot of pressure to ensure they were stuck with no air underneath.

10 hours ago, Slim said:

My advice would be to bite the bullet, throw it away and start again. I know, I've got some.??? 

The trouble with the stick on vinyl is that the floor moves, the planks either rise up against one another, or open up and trap dirt, and show colour below.

Once you use any adhesive, it's a nightmare to remove.

My floor base could not have been less smooth. I really did not like the B&Q look.

Edited by LadyG

On 08/05/2021 at 17:25, Bee said:

Personally I would lay more carpet, I like to be able to get at the bottom of the boat if possible and permanently fixed flooring makes that impossible. Carpets or rugs are warm, soft, easy to lay and can be cheap enough to be disposable.

Thanks Bee. No access to bottom of the boat at the moment, but did think of cuttiing out discs to access it before laying any floor.

On 08/05/2021 at 17:50, Sir Percy said:

Agree with that. I've taken the time to put in removable sections; it would be silly then to stick down a layer on top of that. 

However, it could be possible to use adhesive only on the boards which don't cross the threshold between those sections of flooring.

Thanks Sir Percy. It would be silly if I already had access, but I don't. Will try and cut some access before laying anything (with matching holes in any flooring laid)

Not 100% sure what you mean about crossing threshold etc, but assume the gist is about retaing some sort of access to bilge

On 08/05/2021 at 17:59, Tracy D'arth said:

Carpet tiles were made for this job. Hard wearing, easy to lay and lift to get underneath, cheap.

Thanks Tracy. Carpet tiles certainly worth thinking about in other areas of boat where I don't have enough vinyl, or possibly instead of