Ripped off Newby

canalboat

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Wait until you buy a second hand caravan from a dealer.

When we purchased one from a dealer near Bedworth we had to buy, at "special offer," - yes right :(,  a kit containing a water barrel and greywater container. Surprise surprise there was no battery or gas bottle, we had to purchase those too. The motor mover and associated wiring etc. had also been taken off.

All the above would have been on the van when it was traded in. We know this because when we were looking for a 'van we looked at some vans which had just arrived complete with kit but were not yet ready for sale. A week later all the above equipment had been take off the vans.

Sharp practice?

It's not uncommon for a caravan mover to be transferred from a van traded in as part exchange to the new one. Things like step, water containers, etc may also be transferred. Gas bottles are a bit of a grey area, as they're usually rented. Dealer may think it's better to sell a van without battery, rather than a possibly dud one.  They should, however, make it clear what's included, and what's not ! 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

It's not uncommon for a caravan mover to be transferred from a van traded in as part exchange to the new one. Things like step, water containers, etc may also be transferred. Gas bottles are a bit of a grey area, as they're usually rented. Dealer may think it's better to sell a van without battery, rather than a possibly dud one.  They should, however, make it clear what's included, and what's not ! 

Never having bought a 'van before I only had the boat purchase to compare it with.

As the 'van was our first ever 'van we had no motor mover or anything else to transfer.

When we bought our boat, the sale included, gas bottles, batteries, windlass, ropes,  mooring stakes, water hose if fact everything we needed to sail off into the sunset, apart from crockery, cutlery, bed linen etc., which we never expected anyway.

To have such essential items removed from a 'van came as a disappointment as we naively thought second hand 'van sales would be similar to boat sales.

The analogy would be to remove all the above from a boat then offer these items as "starter packs" to the first time, pre owned boat purchaser. 

Perhaps boat dealers are missing out on a "trick?" :ninja:

Edited by Ray T

18 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Yup. Only reason we couldnt transfer our mover from the previous 'van to our current one was our previous van was a twin axle. They are expensive items when new.

We did swap the roof mounted air con though. Or rather the dealer did.

I remember going with with the father of a friend when he was changing his car, I also went with him to pick it up and was able to point out that the radio was now missing. It was pointed out before we left and promptly rectified

5 hours ago, canalboat said:

The automatic bailer wasn’t working as the battery was flat which we agreed was probably due to it standing in the marina for some time trying to bail out the rising water.  

By automatic bailer I assume you mean bilge pump? I would have thought that it was either connected to the engine battery or the domestics, and even if it had flattened the battery then running the engine would have been re-charging it.

14 hours ago, Ray T said:

Never having bought a 'van before I only had the boat purchase to compare it with.

As the 'van was our first ever 'van we had no motor mover or anything else to transfer.

When we bought our boat, the sale included, gas bottles, batteries, windlass, ropes,  mooring stakes, water hose if fact everything we needed to sail off into the sunset, apart from crockery, cutlery, bed linen etc., which we never expected anyway.

To have such essential items removed from a 'van came as a disappointment as we naively thought second hand 'van sales would be similar to boat sales.

The analogy would be to remove all the above from a boat then offer these items as "starter packs" to the first time, pre owned boat purchaser. 

Perhaps boat dealers are missing out on a "trick?" :ninja:

Got caught out the same when we bought our camper van, thinking that buying would be like boat sales and a second hand one would be equipped!    Did warn us that needed to get a gas bottle so picked one up as well as other essentials from GO! outdoors (other camping shops are available).   However what we did not know, until we arrived at our first campsite that evening on the way home, was that we also needed a Special valve that needed to be fitted to the gas regulator so we could use the Gas! Luckily nice pub open round the corner 

Surely the difference between boats and caravan sales are boats are predominantly sold by brokers and caravans by dealers. As brokers don't own the product they are selling they can't remove items as it would be stealing from the actual owner. In contrast dealers own their stock so they can choose how they split things up to maximize profit.

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Awayonmyboat said:

Surely the difference between boats and caravan sales are boats are predominantly sold by brokers and caravans by dealers. As brokers don't own the product they are selling they can't remove items as it would be stealing from the actual owner. In contrast dealers own their stock so they can choose how they split things up to maximize profit.

Correct, anyway how did this post become caravan related?

The OP is relating the story told to him by someone who may or may not have been duped buying a boat.

There are no actual details of the actual 'deal' on the boat when it was sold and it may have all been above board. Whatever is on the Sales Contract is how it is going to be, wherever you go.

As the saying goes....."Caveat Emptor"

I will happily name and recommend the broker I bought my boat from, they were open, honest and very informative.

The boat had a comprehensive inventory, but when I looked closer I found many extra items on board right down to the salt and pepper shakers. When I asked the broker what was included they told me the boat will be sold "as is" and everything is in the price.

After some negotiating down towards a more acceptable price, the deal was done.

I got the boat a week later with absolutely everything still on board and they even gave me the extra electric hook up cable because they were not sure exactly who it belonged to.

When I dipped the fuel tank prior to leaving I found a bonus 150 litres of diesel already on board.

New and Used at Mercia, excellent honest service and great people to do business with.

17 hours ago, Rob-M said:

We had two full gas bottles and a full tank of diesel when we purchased our boat. I was surprised and hadn't actually checked either beforehand.

I had two gas bottles both full and half tank of fuel which I found out when filling up on leaving. I now have 3 bottles as I got a 3rd when supply issues started last year. Mind you in the 1st 18 months Ive replaced most items with wires attached but for lights. All be I've put over 2500 hrs on the boat which only had 1995 hrs when I got it and that to over 17 years so electrical items just failed with the shock of so much use. Domestic batteries died within the 1st week which was upsetting to say the least. However all is well now and we are happy leaving and cruising full-time on the boat.

I would have thought that there should be no question about 'what you get included' when buying your boat, it is a condition of contract for marinas brokers using BMF or RYA contracts of sale that an inventory is included, this ensures that both seller and buyer are aware of what they are agreeing to.

Extract :

If the inspection, survey or sea trial reveals any major defects in the Vessel, its machinery, gear or equipment which affects the operational integrity of the Vessel or her systems or renders her unseaworthy, and such defect was not disclosed to the Purchaser in writing prior to the signing of this Agreement, or if there are any deficiencies in the inventory prepared and attached to this Agreement,  ...........................................

The boat can be rejected by the buyer and the deposit returned unless the deficiencies are rectified.

Simply saying 'everything on board is included' is very much open to argument :

"There was a land line on board and now there isn't"

"No there wasn't"

"Yes there was"

"No there wasn't"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

When we sold a boat we arranged to deliver it to a point and leave it.

My wife was distraught over selling her, and sat down and painted new buckby cans to send her off with. On the last day we moved her to the appointed spot,  polished the brass, put the exhaust covers and chimney covers on and tearfully locked up and walked away.

3 weeks later we cycled past she was still on the 48 hr mooring. No exhaust or chimney covers on with the sheets  blown up letting in water.

The newly painted cans were later reported for sale in the weedon emporium.

Unreal.

Current owners are even more unsympathetic, judging by observation 2 weeks ago.

My wife was distraught over selling her, and sat down and painted new buckby cans to send her off with. On the last day we moved her to the appointed spot,  polished the brass, put the exhaust covers and chimney covers on and tearfully locked up and walked away.

3 weeks later we cycled past she was still on the 48 hr mooring. No exhaust or chimney covers on with the sheets  blown up letting in water.

Unreal.

33 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Correct, anyway how did this post become caravan related?

Because its a discussion forum and a comparison was being made between how things are different when selling and buying other large value items by comparison.

HTH.

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Unreal.

A strange and sad story. What I don't understand is why someone would pay for a (from your description, not cheap) boat and then take no interest in it whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

A strange and sad story. What I don't understand is why someone would pay for a (from your description, not cheap) boat and then take no interest in it whatsoever.

Well we dont know the full circumstances though, did they suddenly become ill, lose their job, die, etc etc.

I do also think though not everybody buying a boat fully understands the time and financial commitment involved. This is particularly so if the boat is kept some way away from your primary residence.

20 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

other brokers are within striking distance of Hillmorton, New & Used at Dunchurch, Braunston Marina, Weltonfield, Castle Boat Sales at Wigrams just off top of my head

There's a broker at the bottom of Buckby Locks that usually gets accused of this sort of thing (though my own experience with the company is quite different). 

-

Not sure why anyone would agree to pay £1000 to make "disappeared" fixtures reappear rather than wave their survey around and issue legal threats tbh, especially since unless they've been pulling out gearboxes and stoves the fixtures aren't likely to be worth £1000

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Unreal.

Unreal.

Same thing happened with a friend when he sold his Kelvin engined boat, it has since been sold on and the new owner is trying to put it all right again