Running an engine without the air filter

Featured Posts

I opened my engine bay and I found that my air filter assembly fell off the engine. I was fiddling with it 2 days ago and I obviously didn't tighten it properly. It has been idling for maybe 1 or 2 hours since then. Could I have done any damage running the engine without an air filter? is there anything I should do about it?

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Really long term, the dust would increase engine wear, but otherwise no. Unless it was unlucky enough to eat a loose washer, or rock. What @Sir Nibble said above^^^^^.

That must be bad news to a lot of Vetus owners. What looks like an air filter is no such thing, its just an intake silencer. I have told this tale before. As an apprentice I was told that London Transport, that did all their own work, did not ft air cleaners the busses because any accelerated wear was far out priced by the cost  of air filters. No air cleaner is absolutely nothing to worry about whereas a clogged one is.

Changing fuel filters, oil filters, changing the oil and draining the bottom of the fuel tank regularly are vital for long trouble free boating. It is also vital you don't let an air filter become clogged so changing the element or cleaning the gauze as part of a regular service is a very good idea. Check the alternator belt for tension and condition at the same time.

I always wondered about that. My Lister never had an air filter until one got put on when the engine was rebuilt after I'd had it twenty years. It just had a T shaped bit of pipe to stop things falling down into it.  I've never been sure it's run as well since one got put on.

It is often said that "engines are very good at eating things" and this is mostly true. My old mini ate a hose clip and that made it quite unwell but I think I was unlucky.?

.............Dave

4 hours ago, Troyboy said:

I've run my BMC 1.5 diesel for well over 30 years without an air filter so you have nothing to worry about.

You do realise that you have probably halved its life! ??

The air filter on my Perkins 4108M is necessary to contain the flames from the star coil. I was used to seeing smoke from it, but once started it up without the filter on and was horrified to see the flames belching forth.

13 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

The air filter on my Perkins 4108M is necessary to contain the flames from the star coil. I was used to seeing smoke from it, but once started it up without the filter on and was horrified to see the flames belching forth.

The 4-108 we ha don the fleet only had an inverted bowl shaped metal cover over the intake so no filter and I know exactly what you mean by the smoke and looking down the intake when cold starting.

I have seen several BMC 1.5s without even an inlet manifold.

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The 4-108 we ha don the fleet only had an inverted bowl shaped metal cover over the intake so no filter and I know exactly what you mean by the smoke and looking down the intake when cold starting.

I have seen several BMC 1.5s without even an inlet manifold.

Mine does have a gauze in the upturned bowl, and has had it from new.

Edited by Ex Brummie

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I always wondered about that. My Lister never had an air filter until one got put on when the engine was rebuilt after I'd had it twenty years. It just had a T shaped bit of pipe to stop things falling down into it.  I've never been sure it's run as well since one got put on.

My old lister didnt have an air or indeed oil filter. It worked on a total loss system for the oil anyway as it leaked so much with perpetual topping up the oil was always clean lol.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My old lister didnt have an air or indeed oil filter. It worked on a total loss system for the oil anyway as it leaked so much with perpetual topping up the oil was always clean lol.

You didn't need a dipstick with a Lister. If it had enough oil, it smoked; if it stopped smoking, that meant it had run out of oil.

• Greenie 3

12 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

You didn't need a dipstick with a Lister. If it had enough oil, it smoked; if it stopped smoking, that meant it had run out of oil.

That and other issues are what made boating fun and enjoyable - every day a challenge or as IBM puut it an oportunity.

Now it's silent engines, humongous electric cookers / microwaves  / showersthat want different technology or at least lead acid traction batteries - so everyone fits inadequate automotive batteries and whinges about them.

Ah well, all in the past for us the Management has called an end to our boating (no fun single handed)

Anyone want a 60 foot NB with all sorts of bells and whistles??

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

That and other issues are what made boating fun and enjoyable - every day a challenge or as IBM puut it an oportunity.

Now it's silent engines, humongous electric cookers / microwaves  / showersthat want different technology or at least lead acid traction batteries - so everyone fits inadequate automotive batteries and whinges about them.

Ah well, all in the past for us the Management has called an end to our boating (no fun single handed)

Anyone want a 60 foot NB with all sorts of bells and whistles??

I agree with you 100%. For exactly the same reason, after we have completed one final trip next month, there will also be a 67ft NB available (with all bells and whistles)

50 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I agree with you 100%. For exactly the same reason, after we have completed one final trip next month, there will also be a 67ft NB available (with all bells and whistles)

We left C&RT waters October 2019 but have not given up boating, just changed to waters that have less restrictions and no maintenance problems.