Improving moorings in the East Midlands Region

frangar

Featured Posts

Further on from my discussions at the CRT East Midland Public User Meeting I have been asked by CRT regional management if I know of places in the region where moorings have been removed due to towpath resurfacing etc (eg rings taken out...hard surfaces installed meaning pins can't be used etc) or indeed where moorings could be installed/extended. 

Ive heard a rumour that mooring has been made difficult in Shardlow due to towpath work...can anyone confirm this?

I've suggested that some more secure moorings such as those at Friars Mill in Leicester would be great in places like Nottingham/Newark/Loughborough and that developers of waterside sites could be encouraged to provide pontoons etc as well as more rings installed at popular locations.

As I seem to have the chance to talk to CRT from a boaters point of view then I'd be really grateful for the thoughts of other boaters in the region. I know we might not get anywhere but if we say nothing then its certain things won't improve!

Look forward to hearing others suggestions....feel free to post here and I can collate them and pass them on.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

We were in Shardlow a few weeks back and the whole section of offside moorings by the pubs was closed as new pillings were being installed. I presume once the works are finished the moorings will be reopened and have an improved edge. We moored on the towpath rings which were fine.  There could do with being more moorings in Shardlow as it can be difficult to find somewhere to moor as there aren't that many moorings available.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We were in Shardlow a few weeks back and the whole section of offside moorings by the pubs was closed as new pillings were being installed. I presume once the works are finished the moorings will be reopened and have an improved edge. We moored on the towpath rings which were fine.  There could do with being more moorings in Shardlow as it can be difficult to find somewhere to moor as there aren't that many moorings available.

Ahhh. I was told the towpath had the rings removed. Thanks for explaining. Hopefully as you say rings etc will be installed once the piling is done. One to keep an eye on. I agree more moorings would be good in shardlow but actual space is tight as I recall. 

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If its pile what do ou need rings for?

The towpath side has rings, the offside in front of the pub was concrete wall, with rings set back. Theres no guarantee the piling will have a happy pin capable holding rail, it might piling be like this...

P1040485.jpeg

There used to be rings past the no mooring section opposite dobsons. The tow path has been upgraded and the rings have gone I have yet to try and get a pin in the very narrow strip of earth left. Please PM me if my location description does not make sense.

In Nottingham there used to be rings opposite the canal house and fmc pubs, when the edging was replaced the rings were not.

3 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

There used to be rings past the no mooring section opposite dobsons. The tow path has been upgraded and the rings have gone I have yet to try and get a pin in the very narrow strip of earth left. Please PM me if my location description does not make sense.

In Nottingham there used to be rings opposite the canal house and fmc pubs, when the edging was replaced the rings were not.

Thanks. That’s very useful to know. I know where you mean in both locations. I might take a drive out next week. 

Some more rings along Cranfleet cut and doing something about Holme lock moorings on the Trent would be nice too. I've also wondered why there can't be visitor moorings in the cut above Sawley flood lock, I think it would be wide enough for narrowboats at least without blocking other boats,  and Sawley is hard to find space so much has been given over to long term moorings.

6 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Some more rings along Cranfleet cut and doing something about Holme lock moorings on the Trent would be nice too. I've also wondered why there can't be visitor moorings in the cut above Sawley flood lock, I think it would be wide enough for narrowboats at least without blocking other boats,  and Sawley is hard to find space so much has been given over to long term moorings.

When we came through Cranfleet Cut last June a lot of new rings had been fitted.

35 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

27 minutes ago, pearley said:

When we came through Cranfleet Cut last June a lot of new rings had been fitted.

Thanks both. I’ll pass them on…I agree that Sawley seems to have a lot of unused permanent moorings on the towpath with dire warning notices if you so much as touch a ring there. 

@pearley  Are you talking the whole length of the cut or between the sailing club & the railway bridge?  

6 minutes ago, PaulD said:

No vacancies at Sawley on the C&RT website. 

Ok. I shall ask how that equates to allowed towpath space…maybe they are ghost moorings. There’s always huge gaps when I come through. 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Thanks both. I’ll pass them on…I agree that Sawley seems to have a lot of unused permanent moorings on the towpath with dire warning notices if you so much as touch a ring there. 

@pearley  Are you talking the whole length of the cut or between the sailing club & the railway bridge?  

Between Club and railway bridge.

There is a Facebook Group dedicated to improving moorings on the Trent who replaced the missing rings and have also done a lot of work at Stoke Bardolph.

1 minute ago, pearley said:

Between Club and railway bridge.

There is a Facebook Group dedicated to improving moorings on the Trent who replaced the missing rings and have also done a lot of work at Stoke Bardolph.

Do you have a link for the group??

On 07/05/2021 at 11:39, Rob-M said:

It wouldn't be the end of the world if those moorings weren't reinstated, you inevitably meet boats on that bend, and the moorings on the offside hinder being able to approach the bend correctly, especially with a pair. 

11 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

It wouldn't be the end of the world if those moorings weren't reinstated, you inevitably meet boats on that bend, and the moorings on the offside hinder being able to approach the bend correctly, especially with a pair. 

But given that there arent a lot of moorings in Shardlow then I think every little helps! I understand where you are coming from but as I remember mooring is prohibited on the towpath  side on the bends...and It is a popular site...and I think the pubs need all the trade they can get at the moment!

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

But given that there arent a lot of moorings in Shardlow then I think every little helps! I understand where you are coming from but as I remember mooring is prohibited on the towpath  side on the bends...and It is a popular site...and I think the pubs need all the trade they can get at the moment!

Yes we find trying to moor in Shardlow is a bit of a gamble due to the lack of spaces. Taking some away would make it worse.

There are usually a few moorings available between Shardlow lock and Willowbrook moorings - walking distance to the pubs on the main road. Next winding hole is a long way however if you are just out for the day from Sawley marina.

It would be really nice to get a few more pontoons on the tidal section of the Trent. Once downstream of Cromwell, there is nothing until Dunham and then you are almost at Torksey. Beyond that it’s Gainsborough which is renowned fir being risky.

Often thought it would be nice to something at Carlton or Fledborough

7 hours ago, Jan13 said:

It would be really nice to get a few more pontoons on the tidal section of the Trent. Once downstream of Cromwell, there is nothing until Dunham and then you are almost at Torksey. Beyond that it’s Gainsborough which is renowned fir being risky.

Often thought it would be nice to something at Carlton or Fledborough

With the ski clubs permission you can use their pontoon at High Marnham. Lovely pub there the Brownlow Arms just behind the flood banks.