Featured Posts

Help collective minds...

We hooked up our boat  at our new marina on February 9th and ran 2 mini oil filled radiators (1200 watt max output together), set to Frost Protect for 26 days. We then had to visit for an essential maintenance visit and decided that it was warm enough to switch off the electric at the isolator inside the boat.  According to my calculations, running at full bore (which they weren't) this should have cost around £26.00 and used about 186 units. I was fairly surprised then, to be sent a bill for 2,074 units at a cost of £278.00.

Unfortunately I didn't take my own meter reading at the start as the meters are in locked boxes.

What do I do now? To say I am a bit concerned is an understatement!

• Horror 1

We had two small oil filled radiators running from October to March on switches set at 5 degrees and probably used about £10 worth of electricity.

I think I would be asking the marina for an explanation of the charges.

• Greenie 1

We normally leave a couple of fan-heaters set to frost protection level for the whole winter, they normally use between £35 and £50 of electricity for the whole period, depending on the weather.

Unfortunately this year at some point the thermostat on one of them went wrong and so we are due a bill for about £150.

• Greenie 1

Do you know what rate the marina is charging? Your estimate of £26 for 186 units corresponds to a unit cost 14p per unit with no standing charge or service charge, which sounds low to me.

Do you have your own dedicated socket? How do you know someone else hasn't plugged into your supply?

I would be asking the marina to explain the start and end meter readings, and what their procedures are to ensure that the readings are properly recorded. How, for example, do you know that you are not being charged for use by the previous occupier of your mooring?

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Help collective minds...

We hooked up our boat  at our new marina on February 9th and ran 2 mini oil filled radiators (1200 watt max output together), set to Frost Protect for 26 days. We then had to visit for an essential maintenance visit and decided that it was warm enough to switch off the electric at the isolator inside the boat.  According to my calculations, running at full bore (which they weren't) this should have cost around £26.00 and used about 186 units. I was fairly surprised then, to be sent a bill for 2,074 units at a cost of £278.00.

Unfortunately I didn't take my own meter reading at the start as the meters are in locked boxes.

What do I do now? To say I am a bit concerned is an understatement!

Take a meter reading and run the radiators for an hour, and only the radiators. Take another reading. Work from that, to help compare the cost with what the marina can tell you they charge per Kwh. It will at least give you an idea of what is happening, or shouldn't be happening. I'd probably find out what the marina charges first. 

Edited by Higgs

Even if both heaters were on full power 24/7 you should have not used more than 748 units over 26 days (28.8 per day)

As others have qouted either the meter has been misread at the start or someone has used your socket which does happen.

Concide installing your own KW hour meter as a double check.

Update:

After consultation with the Marina, they agree that the reading is a bit mad and believe there  has been a misreading with the 'before we arrived reading'. They are adjusting our invoice accordingly. 

We have agreed to checking our consumption live with them next time we stay just to be sure. Seems fair, as last time we used the heaters in 2019 at a different marina  our bill was about £45.00 for about 3 months.

Apart from this scare we are very pleased with them. They seem very friendly and helpful and would recommend (but I wont name them at the moment)!

• Greenie 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/05/2021 at 21:19, David Mack said:

Do you know what rate the marina is charging? Your estimate of £26 for 186 units corresponds to a unit cost 14p per unit with no standing charge or service charge, which sounds low to me.

Do you have your own dedicated socket? How do you know someone else hasn't plugged into your supply?

I would be asking the marina to explain the start and end meter readings, and what their procedures are to ensure that the readings are properly recorded. How, for example, do you know that you are not being charged for use by the previous occupier of your mooring?

Looking at the figures supplied by the OP the Marina are charging him 13.4p per unit.

I would suggest that someone else had previously used that plug in point and had skipped without paying. The starting reading therefore would be prior to the sneaky people using the electric and slinking away. Try asking the Marina who was moored there before you.

Asked and answered - that'll teach me to read to the end of the thread before jumping in with both feet!

Edited by manxmike
Stupidity