Looking for info on Bristol to Gloucester cruising.

MarkH2159

Featured Posts

Currently on the K&A heading west and in need of a forward plan.

Potential ideas of travelling to Bristol then onward via the Severn to Sharpness/Gloucester

Could somebody help me with the requirements for navigation from Bristol to Sharpness, my boat has done it before but I have not.

I understand that there are advisories in respect of taking pilots etc, but I am interested in what the actual rules are and any other information available.

I have a lot of experience in Bristol Channel navigation on larger vessels, but basically doing the pilotage from sea up to Avonmouth Docks.

All advice and first hand experiences appreciated.

I would check with your insurance as they may say you have to have a pilot for one or both parts of the journey.  The journey being Bristol to Portishead and Portishead to Sharpness.

The only requirements are those set by your insurance company and your skills and  intestinal fortitude.

Mostly you need to apply common sense and seamanship. Proper  Anchor and kit, life raft or  life jackets  at least, clean fuel, fresh filters. Boat preparation for being in a seaway.  Etc.

As said above it is not practical to do Cumberland basin to Sharpness on one tide  in a normal narrow boat. Most folks overtide  at Portishead marina. For an all daylight passage you could instead anchor at Pill in the Avon just above the M5 Bridge and then catch the flood to Sharpness. We did this, on a Sharpness to Brissle trip.

The weather needs to be good. Nothing more than a force 3 for most narrowboats, and not wind over tide.  We had a glorious day of 8/8 blue and force 1-2.

The nav is pretty basic, if you have experience of inshore or coastal navigation,  but the track  is not. It is all over the river!  There was when we did it a a video, made  by the local police IIRC, showing the various beacons, day marks, transits etc.  Under the M4 and M49 motorway bridges is very turbulent and you can see why from the tidal data and Admiralty chart for the passage. 

You also need to avoid the cooling water ponds for Berkeley power station.  The reactor is shut down but they are likely to have a sense of humour failure if you get into their ponds, as some have done.

Bristol harbour master charges like a wounded Rhinoceros!

Obviously CaRT at Sharpness will need to know you are expected. There is nowhere to hang about off the entrance to Sharpness, so sort out the right time to arrive and avoid any outbound traffic, which usually leaves just before HW. You also need to arrange for the low level bridge at the dock exit to the canal to be swung.

N

• Greenie 2