Dave123

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, pearley said:

None of those mooring posts when we visited in the mid 90s. But can confirm the locals were friendly, even to the extent of bringing their children out to see the boat.

The moorings are a very recent addition, within the last few years.

• Greenie 1

Went there in 2013. The silting at the winding holes and by the lock at the time made it real adventure boating, including a six mile reverse, followed by getting stuck on a mud bank overnight till some nice weed bashing contractors let down water to get the boat off! Now these problems have been fixed, then it is well worth a visit. As others have said, the locals in South Kyme are a friendly bunch. After the first lock raises you to the dizzying heights,  you actually get a view of the countryside, rather than just of flood protection banks. OK, the view is of Lincolnshire flat land, but a view is a view.

Jen

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

What's the licencing arrangements on there?  It's not CRT, do I need a seperate licence?

As far as I can make out, there isn't one. The EA control water levels, but have no interest in navigation. The Sleaford Navigation Trust don't mention any requirements. You can only get there via the CaRT controlled Witham.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

As far as I can make out, there isn't one. The EA control water levels, but have no interest in navigation. The Sleaford Navigation Trust don't mention any requirements. You can only get there via the CaRT controlled Witham.

Where does the funding for the moorings and lock restoration come from I wonder?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Where does the funding for the moorings and lock restoration come from I wonder?

As is usual with these things, a lot of hard work by the volunteers at the trust persuading various organisations to chip in. http://www.sleafordnavigation.co.uk/history/restoration/destination-south-kyme/

for example.

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Tried a few years ago in June, but had to give up after half a mile - physically impossible to push through the weed.  I was told that I was a month too late.  The Witham Navigable Drains were relatively clear.

Yes, and I think the weed is particularly scarce now because it's been so cold overnight so far, compared to this time last year.

14 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Very good. I was annoyed that I couldn't get there in 2019, but the river was in flood and it didn't seem a good idea! In any event  there was insufficient headroom at the first bridge at Chapel Hill! 

That's a shame! The flood gates were only open just wide enough for a narrowboat and wouldn't budge open any further. Not sure if this is due to silt or intentionally to stop wider boats that might get stuck further on? But height clearance was fine

• Greenie 1

On 07/05/2021 at 23:48, MoominPapa said:

Hopefully it will get sorted soon. That area tends to silt up, as I discovered. The EA have a sluice adjacent to the lock and run down a lot of water during the winter. The backwater to the bottom of the lock ends up with a lot of silt dropping out of suspension.

zrig.JPG.a853b8ac1a17eaff1b182eaa9d52b443.JPG

My boat stuck on the bottom lock mud bank in 2013. I've removed a lot of heavy stuff, emptied the water tank and set up a 3:1 hauling Z-rig to try and pull the boat off the mud. All to on avail! Eventually freed by a combination of hauling, reverse prop and water run down from the top.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2