Sterling Marine battery charger - RIP?

spicemouse

Featured Posts

Hi all,

next thing to go wrong on my boat... 

My battery charger seems to have overheated and melted itself! After about 15min of charging this morning my breakers tripped and upon investigation I found brown bakelite smelling goo coming from the unit (top of image)

PXL_20210506_091216207_LI.jpg.f18bf67d2a2501c7374f08a0eb890680.jpg

You can see it's dripped down onto the sockets. Not great! 

I'm guessing either something has stopped the fans or the temperature control in the unit has died. Either way, I am reluctant to turn it back on and my it potentially worse, so no battery charging for me. 

Anyone have any advice? Is this beyond repair? 

Cheers! 

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

"Out of stock"

Also doesnt screw to the wall. Wouldn't a Ctek one be a better investment.  How many outputs does your Sterling one have as my sterling is 20A and 2 outputs if I remember right.

Doesn't your solar give you enough at this time if year?

That charger is probably not enough even on a landline 24/7

50 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Also doesnt screw to the wall. Wouldn't a Ctek one be a better investment.  How many outputs does your Sterling one have as my sterling is 20A and 2 outputs if I remember right.

Look again it does screw to the wall?

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Doesn't your solar give you enough at this time if year?

That charger is probably not enough even on a landline 24/7

I'm fitting the solar this month, so nothing is charging my batteries right now. I have an old Sterling travel power unit, which can provide plenty of 240v AC when I've got the engine on, so I'd plug the charger in there. 

729338307_PXL_20210506_115613501(2).jpg.1e04b1b5ecf7bf812a243d149a16a5b5.jpg

5 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

I'm fitting the solar this month, so nothing is charging my batteries right now. I have an old Sterling travel power unit, which can provide plenty of 240v AC when I've got the engine on, so I'd plug the charger in there. 

729338307_PXL_20210506_115613501(2).jpg.1e04b1b5ecf7bf812a243d149a16a5b5.jpg

But your batteries would charge with the engine running anyway. Or have I missed something?

1 minute ago, Eeyore said:

But your batteries would charge with the engine running anyway. Or have I missed something?

AC comes out the travel pack unit, and the battery charger (RIP) plugged into the standard UK 3 on AC point. 

4 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

AC comes out the travel pack unit, and the battery charger (RIP) plugged into the standard UK 3 on AC point. 

What for? All it will do is muk up the alternater from charging the batteries.

3 hours ago, spicemouse said:

Hi all,

next thing to go wrong on my boat... 

My battery charger seems to have overheated and melted itself! After about 15min of charging this morning my breakers tripped and upon investigation I found brown bakelite smelling goo coming from the unit (top of image)

PXL_20210506_091216207_LI.jpg.f18bf67d2a2501c7374f08a0eb890680.jpg

You can see it's dripped down onto the sockets. Not great! 

I'm guessing either something has stopped the fans or the temperature control in the unit has died. Either way, I am reluctant to turn it back on and my it potentially worse, so no battery charging for me. 

Anyone have any advice? Is this beyond repair? 

Cheers! 

R I P

I'd give Sterling a quick call before chucking it away if I were you. I sent them an alternator regulator to adjust once and it was well out of warranty. Didn't charge me a penny.

It's got to be worth a phone call even if they aren't interested.

• Greenie 1