Widths of moorings in marinas

haggis

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

The newer basin (Sunrise) in Ventnor Marina has very decent gaps between boats, all on single-length pontoons. The gaps must be a good 3 or 4 feet. If I remember I'll measure it when we get back in about a week or so.

Those gaps, the single boat length  wider than average pontoons, and numerous other factors make it very likely that we will never wish to move to another marina.

See screenshot from Google Maps

Screenshot_20210531-230544.png

These look good! 

3 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

All marinas have wind generators!  Totally agree on short pontoon lengths especially the floating type like in Bancroft basin.  It would be more useful for planners to consider the prevailing wind when positioning the service wharf.

Something else in Ventnor's favour. You approach the Sunrise services with the prevailing wind more or less at your back. I think Sunset basin is similar although I rarely use that.

In France, a lot of their pontoon fingers are short, far to short for you to get off at the end. 
reason why all boats are stern to the main pontoon.

remember once where walking to end of all fingers would result it getting your feet legs wet lol!.

securing your bow was a art in it self.

at the time our sea boats were 35ft 40ft the fingers are possibly 12ft 15ft!!

On 06/05/2021 at 11:41, haggis said:

Where we moor the distance between pontoons is less than 6 inches wider than two narrowboats side by side which makes getting back into position along side another boat a bit tricky if there is a crosswind. Apparently the mooring was made narrower as it was designed for a widebeam. Also the pontoons are quite narrow. This made me wonder if other marinas  have wider gaps between boats and wider pontoons.  Is there a standard or  does it just depend on how many boats the marina owners wants to squeeze in?  I think we need to take an inch tape the next time we are looking at marinas ?  

haggis

As promised some days ago...

We have just gone back into the marina (Ventnor marina, Sunrise basin i.e. the newer one) and I've got my measuring tape out. As far as I know all pontoons in this basin are the same as each other (apart from length) and they are more generous than those in the older Sunset basin. All pontoons are single boat length.

Width of each pontoon:  1 metre

Gap between two pontoons:  5.77 metres

Gap between my boat and the boat on the next pontoon:  1.43 metres  (4 ft 9 inches)

Note: gap measured at gunnel level, obviously it's bigger at window level. Both boats have rope fenders deployed between boat and pontoon.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Lily Rose

Thank you for taking the time to measure. I like these measurements and I think we need to look round for something a lot better than where we are. A shame as the marina suits us in so many ways

Haggis

On 01/06/2021 at 08:23, haggis said:

These look good! 

Photographic evidence.

I wonder if there are any other marinas with such generous spacing between boats in single-length pontoons. Does anyone know?

IMG_20210609_075942074_HDR.jpg

Edited by Lily Rose

On 09/06/2021 at 08:16, Lily Rose said:

Photographic evidence.

I wonder if there are any other marinas with such generous spacing between boats in single-length pontoons. Does anyone know?

We had a very big gap between us and the next boat at Burton Waters. We could fit another boat the same as ours in the gap between the two adjoining boats. The boat was 8'2" wide and with fenders either side probably closer to 9'0".  So the gap was a little bigger still.

20170723_134857.jpg.18eee0574f275b8bf5c1eb0618dc1fab.jpg

The width of the boats in there does vary a lot though unlike narrowboats so the pontoons were spaced for the worst case scenario of two maximum beam boats side by side. which did make the spaces between pontoons for shorter boats (which have narrower beam) very generous.