Hire Boat Code

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was a consultation, some time ago, which was discussed on here, but I have not seen the 'result'. 

Thank you.

That makes it even more unlikely that a 'private' boat is suitable for hiring out.

not if the hire boat is privately owned, i.e sponsored

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

not if the hire boat is privately owned, i.e sponsored

I was meaning those folks that buy a 'run of the mill' private boat and then set up as a small hire company with one or two boats so they don;t have to comply with C&RTs hire boat rules of car parking, moorings, bins, toilet emptying facilities etc etc.

It is the build specification of the boat that makes it compatible with the requirements not the ownership of it.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was meaning those folks that buy a 'run of the mill' private boat and then set up as a small hire company with one or two boats so they don;t have to comply with C&RTs hire boat rules of car parking, moorings, bins, toilet emptying facilities etc etc.

It is the build specification of the boat that makes it compatible with the requirements not the ownership of it.

yes i know what you mean but in the old days Hire companies like Swan line at Fradley used to have boats that they built so were to hire spec but owned by a private individual who time shared the boat with the hire company. Julianne was one such boat. Does this not happen any more or has time share (which is a fancy term for hire boat) replaced it 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

yes i know what you mean but in the old days Hire companies like Swan line at Fradley used to have boats that they built so were to hire spec but owned by a private individual who time shared the boat with the hire company. Julianne was one such boat. Does this not happen any more or has time share (which is a fancy term for hire boat) replaced it 

This is refered to as sponsored these days I believe. Aqua narrowboats do this for one.

5 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This is refered to as sponsored these days I believe. 

Yes, and has been for some time - we investigated it about 15 years ago and they were called sponsored boats then.

7 hours ago, Tonka said:

I don't think there are many time share boat companies now

14 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Bcbm

That is shared ownership, each person jointly own the boat, between them they own it all, it may sound similar but its not. The boat is not owed by a company who can then let anyone have it for a week or two

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is shared ownership, each person jointly own the boat, between them they own it all, it may sound similar but its not. The boat is not owed by a company who can then let anyone have it for a week or two

Even some in what was BW didn't know that there was a difference between a shared boat and a time share boat. When I took a case to the Ombudsman about licence fees for shared boats the renowned Sally Ash thought they were the same thing. She learned. I think.

haggis

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are some shared ownership companies that retain an interest in each boat by owning a share. I think I am right in saying that BCBM is one company that does this.

Some shared ownership boats are not managed by a commercial company but rather the boat is owned and run totally by the syndicate owners. My boat is such a boat and is owned and run totally  by 12 owners equally. We find it works very well and means that we do not have to pay a fee to a management company.

Howard

7 minutes ago, howardang said:

My boat is such a boat and is owned and run totally  by 12 owners equally. We find it works very well and means that we do not have to pay a fee to a management company.

Howard

Very wise

On 06/05/2021 at 21:30, howardang said:

There are some shared ownership companies that retain an interest in each boat by owning a share. I think I am right in saying that BCBM is one company that does this.

think that was the practice that brought down Ownerships and at least one other of the older Share boat companies and so is frowned upon by the industry 

BCBM don’t do this as far as I am aware, they do however commission the new builds and sell the shares, but they sell 100% of the shares to bets knowledge.    

44 minutes ago, Dharl said:

think that was the practice that brought down Ownerships and at least one other of the older Share boat companies and so is frowned upon by the industry 

BCBM don’t do this as far as I am aware, they do however commission the new builds and sell the shares, but they sell 100% of the shares to bets knowledge.    

Ownerships never retained a share in a boat once the 12 shares were sold when a boat was first built. This was in contrast to some other ones like Challenger. Ownerships collapsed for other reasons which in my opinion was

caused by bad management and over extending their ambitions.

I wasn’t sure about BCBM so thanks for the correction.

Howard

36 minutes ago, howardang said:

Ownerships never retained a share in a boat once the 12 shares were sold when a boat was first built. This was in contrast to some other ones like Challenger.

I believe Challenger had the opposite problem. They sold shares they didn't own!

• Greenie 1

On 06/05/2021 at 18:07, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think there are many time share boat companies now

We see quite a few "Diamond Resorts" boats out of Anderton. They are a timeshare company.

Steve

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

I believe Challenger had the opposite problem. They sold shares they didn't own!

Also sold at least 2 boats, 3 times over.

Lovely boats though.

Challenger-Syndicateships_-The-net-tightens.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I had a share in Oberon and then Endeavour for 10 years.  They were good years before, as Howard says, over ambition and creative accounting took hold.  The current Ownashare is a different model altogether.

Challenger Syndicateships director Ed Rimmer served time for fraud; his wife Gill passed away.  She was also a director and company secretary when the company went into administration.

All details available at companies house beta online.

Ed also previously ran Black Price Narrowboats which went into administration in 1987 but now relaunched and rfenamed.

5 hours ago, Ray T said:

@rustynewbery

Do you have an photo's of Oberon you would mind sharing please?

I am trying to compile photo's of all the Challenger Fleet as well as the "Stealth Hire" fleet.

Happy to receive them by PM

Many thanks.

IMGP3032.JPG

Here is a photo of Oberon (ex-Ownerships) in private ownership . It was taken at Fradley in 2018.

Sorry it is upside down, even when I invert the original it appear upside down here.

20180719_151951_compress68.jpg

• Greenie 1