Pitting on 30 year old boat - how much is too much? (opinions on recent survey welcome)

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I saw a boat lifted at Debdale for blacking, the base plate was thick with mussels but the side were clean.

That would suggest to me that blacking is an anti-fouling, as well as acting as an inhibitor to corrosion (until it is damaged, or dissolved in oily-water).

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

So if the baseplate is covered in mussels would they prevent corrosion,  or would you still need to black it? ?

Apparently, they can actually enhance corrosion, I remember Trevor Whitling talking about a boat on the Trent, covered in areas with mussels, and those areas seemed to have rashes of pitting corresponding to where the mussels sat.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently, they can actually enhance corrosion, I remember Trevor Whitling talking about a boat on the Trent, covered in areas with mussels, and those areas seemed to have rashes of pitting corresponding to where the mussels sat.

I was told that the mussels attachment method is quite acidic and can 'eat' into paint and steel, it is similar to limpets and other things that affect sea-boats.

The white / silver areas are where I pulled off limpets and mussels (She hadn't been anti-fouled for 3 years) The hull wasn't bad, but the drive legs were pretty much covered in weed and molluscs, they prefer metal to GRP

CAM00343.jpg

CAM00341.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That would suggest to me that blacking is an anti-fouling, as well as acting as an inhibitor to corrosion (until it is damaged, or dissolved in oily-water).

On Parglena (which had the base plate blacked) they were all over the base plate and not on the chines or sides.

Suggests it's more to do with them being sheltered rather than the blacking.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Damn, when DQ was dry docked for her survey the base plate was covered in mussels.

I was rather hoping they were protecting the bade plate. I'll have to take regular trips up the Ashby to scrape them off.

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

when DQ was dry docked for her survey the base plate was covered in mussels.

We scraped them off in the dry dock ? Kevin was not impressed and at the end of our two weeks in there they stunk the place out ?

• Haha 1

On 07/05/2021 at 19:20, blackrose said:

There are a couple of people on the forum who move boats for a living, but if you put a post in the crew swap section with likely dates, departure point and destination you may get some volunteers to help you in return for cups of tea and sandwiches.

I've had help from forum members moving up the GU and along the K&A because I was on my own and due to the sheer number of locks and it was much appreciated.

Up the R Severn from where to which canal?

Ah that sounds lovely! I will be sure to ask the community.

From Gloucester to Worcester, then.... I don't know! Over towards London ideally. Up through the Tardebigge lock flight, onto the Straford-upon-Avon canal at the bottom of Birmingham, down through Lemington Spa, the GU down to London? I'll need to get an experienced boat mover for the Severn, then probably also through until after Tardebigge, and then hopefully I can manage myself most of the way from there. As long as I can get decent internet sorted on the boat then I'm not in a hurry!

12 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

Ah yes, I'm looking at that now. How do you get onto the GU from Stratford?

Through Bancroft basin and up the Stratford Canal.....take your chimney off first.

Tewkesbury to the GU at Kingswood Junction is do-able in 2/3 days, depending on whether you have a crew with you.

Edited by matty40s