BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I would suggest TAMAR No 2 deserves an extra point for turning into the Oozells Branch at this junction:

Tamar 2.jpg

We came out the loop on Vulpes and turned right there, was quite easy on a 35' boat, didn't even need to engage reverse.

1 hour ago, BlueStringPudding said:

For anyone still interested in how Tree Monkey is doing with his post-BCN disease: He's in hospital with suspected Weils Disease. They're keeping him in overnight. 

🐒📈 Current Monkey grumpiness level: Narked Gibbon in Captivity 

en-caged-gibbon-100582129.jpg

I wonder if  this is a simian response to humans getting monkey pox?

Get well soon Tree Monkey.

N

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Me too. Unlucky as well, there are typically less than 40 cases per year in the UK... 😞

There may be typically less than 40 diagnosed cases but a large number of people who might have contracted the disease will manage to shake it off. They may suffer no more than feeling a little off colour for a day as their immune system does it's work. 

This is why it is very important to seek medical treatment if flu type symptoms persist. 

I really wish he wasn't in hospital but I am very relieved he is there. I have been extremely concerned from the moment he said he had a flu type bug. 

I hope the antibiotics work quickly 

I once had a flu type bug that wasn't going to be fought off. I had been volunteering with Python around 4 to 5 days a week prior to that so I toddled off to the Docs and mentioned leptospirosis and she laughed at me! 

I was taken aback but stood my ground and told her she shouldn't dismiss the possibility. She did a quick Google (or whatever the NHS version is) and apologised to me, saying I had been correct and she didn't know enough about it to understand why I suggested it.

I often tell our volunteers that if they do need to speak to a medic about potential symptoms they must stand their ground and not allow them to dismiss the possibility lightly. We have cards we hand out to those who want them too. 

I hope the drugs start working soon. 

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I once had a flu type bug that wasn't going to be fought off. I had been volunteering with Python around 4 to 5 days a week prior to that so I toddled off to the Docs and mentioned leptospirosis and she laughed at me! 

I was taken aback but stood my ground and told her she shouldn't dismiss the possibility. She did a quick Google (or whatever the NHS version is) and apologised to me, saying I had been correct and she didn't know enough about it to understand why I suggested it.

I often tell our volunteers that if they do need to speak to a medic about potential symptoms they must stand their ground and not allow them to dismiss the possibility lightly. We have cards we hand out to those who want them too. 

We have cards that CRT gave us when we started volunteering that we can show a medical person.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We have cards that CRT gave us when we started volunteering that we can show a medical person.

Yes we had some of them but don't seem to be able to get any more.

The current batch are from The Historic Narrowboat Club. 

48 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Thank you for the good wishes everybody, I am finally in a ward being hydrated and pumped full of drugs, well antibiotics anyway.

I have to say it took some perseverance to get them to actually consider weils and according to my nephews partner who is involved in SUP boarding it's not uncommon for the Drs to ignore the possibility or not know what it is

So mention canals, mention rats, mention dirty water and keep saying it.

All that aside I was at least hoping for a serious bump up the score board for the sacrifices I have made for the BCN challenge  ;)

Wishing you well,from a Cestrian to an Ellesmere Port-ian.Get well soon & keep taking the tablets !

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Wishing you well,from a Cestrian to an Ellesmere Port-ian.Get well soon & keep taking the tablets !

If my dad hadn't insisted on leaving town I would have been a Cestrian, damn those cheap houses ;)

And thank you

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Thank you for the good wishes everybody, I am finally in a ward being hydrated and pumped full of drugs, well antibiotics anyway.

I have to say it took some perseverance to get them to actually consider weils and according to my nephews partner who is involved in SUP boarding it's not uncommon for the Drs to ignore the possibility or not know what it is

All that aside I was at least hoping for a serious bump up the score board for the sacrifices I have made for the BCN challenge  ;)

WRG use to issue their workers with a little card to give to doctors

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Hence my earlier post.

And other readers please take note.

• Greenie 1

On 09/06/2022 at 20:04, TheBiscuits said:

May I have the photos of all the litter you collected please?  There's a gap where the shopping trolley trophy used to sit for the last three years ...  :giggles:

Undefeated champion for 4 years then.

It's great to know you kept the title to soften the blow of not managing to take part this year. 

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Undefeated champion for 4 years then.

It's great to know you kept the title to soften the blow of not managing to take part this year. 

It was a pretty spectacular haul!

We had to stop collecting because the boat was becoming unnavigable - the rules were drop it all off at the skip at Icknield Port loop.

By the time we had four 8' x 4' sheets of insulation, a scooter, a motorbike, a vacuum cleaner, a complete van wheel and tyre, and six fire extinguishers the usual plastic sheeting and general prop clearings were a bit of an afterthought!

IMG_20190526_135748.jpg.ff4ac40e9b866d4e8ed1301f1614c147.jpg

I also probably wouldn't have fallen in if we hadn't collected that much.  The leap of faith immediately before the splash ended up with me catching some rubbish instead of the handrail.

In view of @tree monkey's misadventures (get well soon, mate!) I'm a bit more grateful I went in at the bottom of the Crow in the nasty oil and tar pollution.  No self respecting disease would choose to live in that sludge.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/06/2022 at 19:48, cheshire~rose said:

It was the fact that they didn't realise what is was that killed my uncle. He had fallen off his bike into a ditch whilst riding back to his air base during WW2, no-one even thought of Leptospirosis until it was too late. If they'd realised what he'd got, even back then, antibiotics would probably have saved him.