BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I also managed to blow 10 points in questions by misreading one and then being too busy showing Rob where Vulpes used to be moored

If I'd thought we'd be that high up, I'd have taken more care with my answers! We got 2 wrong, through silly mistakes, and missed the Withymoor one. 

That's not quite as bad as I thought, given the constraints and the deliberate decision not to do some of the high risk sections to get caught on if the alternator packed up. I think we would have done slightly better if the Dudley Tunnel had been available (or we had not picked up a bladeful and finished on time) but the key point was that a good time was had by all and that you can now get a deeper boat through more of the BCN as we have cleared out a lot of the rubbish for everyone else!

Alec

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Notice the different approaches from two, two person crews with different length boats

Richard

I wondered after posting that........

Do Lily (6ish) and Bea (8 months) count as crew?

:unsure:

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Vulpes was overtaken by Tatty Lucy on the Walsall, it's about where you go rather than how fast you go.

Overtaken on the Walsall?

Good Gawd.......How?

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

:unsure:

Overtaken on the Walsall?

Good Gawd.......How?

They are about 6" further off the bottom. And they probably weren't dragging an accumulation of plastic bags around their prop. We didn't try and hold them up, we play fair.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I was tempted to count them as -0.5 crew each, bringing Tatty Lucy's crew down to one

Richard

58 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I was tempted to count them as -0.5 crew each, bringing Tatty Lucy's crew down to one

Richard

You didn't for BobBiscuits last time.  I was angling for scoring 2 crew because we had a two year old and three adults but we settled for just counting the adults.

Excellent scores and sounds like a great party too - we're sorry we had to miss it, but the boat we intended to do it on came out of Wigan dry dock an hour after the challenge started.  A bit too long a run to get there, even by challenge standards!

I think the two of us on Rivets were glad to survive the event! 
cunning plans for next year hopefully not thwarted by bridge closures and paddle boarders!  Fantastic event and really enjoyed it again after a break of about 30years!  Thanks to all who took part and all who organised.  I think it’s safe to say will be back! 

54908FE0-8DB2-4DD4-8F9C-063AB844D033.jpeg

• Greenie 3

Well done everyone, especially those at the top of the leader board. You did well. 

Well it was certainly an eventful challenge for us. Everyone enjoyed it though which is what counts. We placed 16th last time we did it (in a different boat, one with a weedhatch and much less draught) so to come 9th this time is a huge improvement and was, from memory, roughly where we expected to be placed last time if I had not screwed up the scoring so badly. 

We had numerous low pounds where we had to run water down which held us up quite a lot,  we had several significant blades full (which held us up even more) we had one smoke alarm alerting us to a smoke filled engine room which did not hold us up at all, we had one wierdo intent on ensuring we got no sleep, we had one pizza delivery who could not find us. we had 2 breakfasts end up on the galley floor (along with me) when Delhi decided there was insufficient water under the prop to power around a sharp bend. We had one broken sugar cannister  resulting in broken glass and granulated sugar down the back of the stove (from the same bend). We had one  hanging up in a lock - thankfully Delhi dropped off fairly quickly (caught on a protruding brick - CRT have been notified) We also picked 9 sacks of rubbish, along with a large quantity of wire, a large blue trough/tub with castors, a roadworks barrier, a sleeping bag and a duvet which were all dropped off at CRT services as we passed by apart from the wire which the folks at Withymoor Island are going to weigh in. 

Thanks to everyone who helped to organised it and especially to the lovely folks at Withymore Island who were so very welcoming and accommodating. We stayed an extra night to assist them in using up that rather lovely beer. 

What I have learned for any future challenges  is to ensure that I have nothing to do whatsoever with the data input because the big difference this year compared to 3 years ago is that the score we were given bears a remarkably close resemblance to the score that was expected.  For future reference: Never let someone with discaculia anywhere near to the scoring! Andy did a fantastic job of planning a route (with no experience whatsover of the BCN) and controlling the spreadsheet 

I had not realised until after the event that the award for collecting litter was not being run this year but hopefully some of the stuff we collected will have prevented other boaters from having problems (especially the wire and the sleeping bag) 

Was the best decorated boat judged at all? 

We won't be taking part next year as we have other plans but we hope that our team will be offered an opportunity to crew for another vessel because they really are amazing grafters and brilliant team players too

Edited by cheshire~rose

7 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Surely someone has a photo of it to share? 

I hope so. Need some hi-res images of the whole event for BCNS Boundary Post. Please email to editor@bcnsociety.com for consideration.

39 minutes ago, BimbleBob said:

I hope so. Need some hi-res images of the whole event for BCNS Boundary Post. Please email to editor@bcnsociety.com for consideration.

I have around 250 photos I took but none of Daisy! 

I have shared a selection of them on FB for those you are interested and wish to venture over there:

https://www.facebook.com/102291267993075/posts/pfbid0VwjmgwAywkbmCJCGZpXZzbxt9Lt7Ssg6UWz18jXvFCCxJYdqz5UgKHtZJ8cqrF1yl/?sfnsn=scwspmo

if you wish to use any of them you are welcome to do so. Please message me with the details of which you would like and I can email the originals (rather than a distorted FB copy) across to you 

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

if you wish to use any of them you are welcome to do so. Please message me with the details of which you would like and I can email the originals (rather than a distorted FB copy) across to you 

May I have the photos of all the litter you collected please?  There's a gap where the shopping trolley trophy used to sit for the last three years ...  :giggles:

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

May I have the photos of all the litter you collected please?  There's a gap where the shopping trolley trophy used to sit for the last three years ...  :giggles:

You will have to collect your own litter next year and hope the competition is run again. 

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I hope he gets well soon.  Weils Disease is no joke and makes me glad I have a weedhatch.  I also scrupulously wash my hands and arms if they've been in the water round the prop.

Me too. Unlucky as well, there are typically less than 40 cases per year in the UK... 😞