BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

Rivets 5000 is powered by a Kubota. It replaced a Petter of some description. It still requires the crew to wear ear protection though.

One problem they had is that a full tank of diesel lasted for about 2 hours cruising. They had supplies in what appeared to be metal flasks, hope they didn't mix it up with their coffee supplies.

They got through a whole tank trying to push us through Gosty Hill!

Alec

10 minutes ago, agg221 said:

They got through a whole tank trying to push us through Gosty Hill!

Alec

It must have been a great feeling to struggle through one way knowing you'd got to turn round and do it all again. We had similar with the Walsall which was worse than ever and we didn't even score on the way back which was a bit of an oversight of my part. Between Ocker Hill and Walsall Jn we averaged 1.6mph on the way up and 1.75mph on the way back, the difference being having to stop to clear some plastic bags off the prop on the way up.

We went through Gosty Hill yesterday and that took 12 minutes which is about what it always has done for me.

48 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It must have been a great feeling to struggle through one way knowing you'd got to turn round and do it all again. We had similar with the Walsall which was worse than ever and we didn't even score on the way back which was a bit of an oversight of my part. Between Ocker Hill and Walsall Jn we averaged 1.6mph on the way up and 1.75mph on the way back, the difference being having to stop to clear some plastic bags off the prop on the way up.

We went through Gosty Hill yesterday and that took 12 minutes which is about what it always has done for me.

Oh yes - given that we got through on the way down by me pushing us against the wooden ledge with the boat pole while Ben kept the bow straight/pulled using bare hands on the tunnel wall and roof, I really wasn't looking forward to the way back (my shoulders were already killing me). We have a real issue being a bit narrow without any straight sections on the sides as we can jam diagonally. Actually, we did a lot better on the way back as we started off well (didn't pick up a bladeful on the way in like we had on the way down) and had a bit of a technique going, with slightly more revs also helping. I'm not sure how much the push helped, but it was certainly quite entertaining watching them try to keep straight and not ship a whole boatful from my wash! I'm not certain on times (Ben had the log) but I think around 40mins on the way there and 25mins on the way back.

That wasn't our slowest bit though - from Horsley Fields to Deepfields we averaged under 1mph. We must have been the deepest boat through in a while and we cut the weed a foot deeper than anyone else. Just the force of the weed against the hull slowed us down, and there was one stretch just before Deepfields where we stopped to clear the prop every 100 yards! Fortunately a couple of other boats went up to Bradley so although the way up was a bit weedy the way back was much better and from then on was fine (we managed to find the channel cut by Joanna on the way down the Old Main Line).

Alec

6 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Official BSP update on the poorly Monkey man: I've spoken with my pharmacist explaining the polluted water thing and his symptoms, and I bought a thermometer (well, technically two thermometers). I've checked the monkey temperature myself so he can't pretend he's better than he is! 🙄🐒 Fortunately, his temperature is a little high for him, but not too bad. And at least he's in bed and resting/dozing. He did a Covid test earlier and that was fine, apparently. 

Pharmacist destructions are for him to drink plenty of fluids, take paracetamol, and if his temperature reaches 38 degrees, it's doctor time for tests and possible antibiotics, due to yummy yummy Birmingham canal water. Hopefully it won't get to that. 

🐒📈 Current Monkey grumpiness level: Livid Gorilla 

(As categorically the worst patient in the world, the GMS (Grumpy Monkey Scale) is the closest obtainable measurement of how poorly a Tree Monkey is at any one time. We're currently at Livid Gorilla which is nearly as poorly as man flu, and definitely more poorly than a hangover)

grampy_monkey.jpeg

Being a simian, you are aware the thermometer needs to be inserted rectally for an accurate reading?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, smudgepuss said:

Can confirm that we forgot...

We were in the tunnel and despite wondering both "why is my pocket vibrating" and "why is a boat sounding its horn", the thought didn't cross my mind until we were out of the tunnel!  It was a long morning...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

For anyone interested in how Tree Monkey is doing with his post-BCN disease, he's picking up a bit. Paracetamol is keeping his temperature down, he's still sleepy, but he managed to eat a medicinal sausage this morning. 

🐒📈 Current Monkey grumpiness level: Somewhat Peeved Capuchin

angry-monkey.jpg

Good to hear it, he will have forgotten by next year's challenge.

1 hour ago, RebelMike said:

We were in the tunnel and despite wondering both "why is my pocket vibrating" and "why is a boat sounding its horn", the thought didn't cross my mind until we were out of the tunnel!  It was a long morning...

We were just passing the finish line at Withymoor and it was suggested we had timed our arrival to perfection simply to blow our horns! 

The team all had wooden "Toot Toot" train whistles to blow as well. 

18 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

For anyone interested in how Tree Monkey is doing with his post-BCN disease, he's picking up a bit. Paracetamol is keeping his temperature down, he's still sleepy, but he managed to eat a medicinal sausage this morning. 

🐒📈 Current Monkey grumpiness level: Somewhat Peeved Capuchin

angry-monkey.jpg

That's good news, I was wondering 

• Greenie 1

After not having any significant rubbish on the blades during the challenge I managed to stall the engine today on the lock moorings at Woodend Lock on the T & M when I picked up a pair of jeans.

After not having any significant rubbish on the blades during the challenge I managed to stall the engine today on the lock moorings at Woodend Lock on the T & M when I picked up a pair of jeans.

Did it belong to a HS 2 contractor ?

Place    Boat       Miles  Locks    Points

11    Red Wharf    27       51    218.85
12    Ferrous         36      25    215.75
13    Tamar No2   19.5    38    152.6
14    Oates           32.5    36    144.75
15    Joanna         19       18    118.23
16    Piglet           9.5        3    43.95

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

Place    Boat                 Miles  Locks    Points

6         Rivets 5000       61.5    37        341.5
7         Golden Eagle    36.5    72        327.15
8         Karis                  39      61        306.83
9         Delhi                 34.5   66         305.8
10       Daisy                 35      57         262.1

• Greenie 1

Place    Boat                 Miles  Locks    Points

1          Vulpes              35          79    387.83
2          Tatty Lucy         55.5       37    374.65
3          Rebellion          44          82    359.05
4          Julie                 50.5        62    358.55
5          Goosander       43          81    356.4

• Greenie 4

Well done 'Vulpes'!

And well done 'Tatty Lucy' too.

A big thank you to those who organised things (we know who you are!)

Thank you too to all the people at Withymoor Island for such a warm welcome.

We had a fun weekend so a final big THANK YOU to all who took part.

ETA PS (and we didn't come last)

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Victor Vectis said:

Well done 'Vulpes'!

And well done 'Tatty Lucy' too.

Notice the different approaches from two, two person crews with different length boats

Richard

An excellent few days of boating and bagging Walsall Locks in both directions has finally paid off.

Thanks to the organisers and Withymoor for hosting, especially for replenishing the beer when it ran out and for cooking breakfast.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

An excellent few days of boating and bagging Walsall Locks in both directions has finally paid off.

Thanks to the organisers and Withymoor for hosting, especially for replenishing the beer when it ran out and for cooking breakfast.

Seconded and despite my dire warnings of the Walsall we also bagged it twice with no problems.

No sympathy additional score for being floored by the weekend though which is a bit of a disappointment, I go the extra mile and what do I get, pah

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Place    Boat                 Miles  Locks    Points

1          Vulpes              35          79    387.83
2          Tatty Lucy         55.5       37    374.65
3          Rebellion          44          82    359.05
4          Julie                 50.5        62    358.55
5          Goosander       43          81    356.4

And Rivets 5000 was a two person crew (any more and it would have sunk) but they used their speed to cover miles and didn't take full advantage of the lock bonus. They also had to rendezvous with Ferrous for somewhere to sleep.

Vulpes was overtaken by Tatty Lucy on the Walsall, it's about where you go rather than how fast you go.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I didn't realise the beer ran out. I believe it may have something to do with the fact that you drank it all though.

The hospitality was excellent.

Congratulations Vulpes!  That's a lot of locks with only 2 crew.

We had a great fun weekend - thank you again to the organisers and Withymoor Island for hosting a great after party!

Hope to be back and see you all again next year.

• Greenie 1

If anyone is interested our route was:

Old Turn - Aston - Salford - Rushall - Tame Valley - Walsall Jn - Birchills - Walsall Jn - Walsall Basin - Ocker Hill (O/N) - Ryders Green - Pudding Green - Bromford - Spon Lane -  Oldbury Jn - Titford Pumphouse - Oldbury Jn - Bradeshall - Albion - Dudley Port - Windmill End - Bumblehole - Parkhead - Withymoor.

Intended to maximise locks - and particularly those with a good bonus factor - to suit a short boat and a crew of two.

We dropped a walk to Swan Bridge winding hole and Parkhead locks from our intended plan due to time. I also managed to blow 10 points in questions by misreading one and then being too busy showing Rob where Vulpes used to be moored to realise that the lost Withymoor (or is it Withymore) branch was opposite.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

Wow! Didn't expect 2nd! Was hoping for top 5, but never expected that high. Congratulations to Vulpes, overtaking you on the Walsall didn't help us in the end though🤣

This year we took a different approach to usual for us, and chose a route with less locks, and no long flights. There's only so many locks you can do at once with an 8mth old and 6 year old before they get bored🤣 Surprisingly Bea, our 8mth old was much more tolerant than Lily! 

That's 4th, 3rd, and now 2nd in our last 3 Challenges - watch out next year!!!

Huge thanks to the organisers for putting in the work to organise and run this event, particularly with the last minute problems around Netherton and the Daw End closures. Thanks also to Withymoor Island for putting on such a warm welcome. Going to be a hard ending to beat!