BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

• 2 months later...

Can I just check, one of our team asked me if there was any news on the updated route planner that was suggested after the closure of Black Cock Bridge 

I have not seen anything arrive yet and as we are now officially enroute for Birmingham (via the scenic route) it would be good to start getting our ducks in a row 

HI Everyone.

We now have 14 entries so it should be a good  challenge.

If you are thinking of entering and haven't done so yet, please get your form to me ASAP.

We've now had some discussions with those in the know at the BCN and C&RT and made our decision.

Due to the closure of Blackcock bridge we have decided to remove the Daw End and Rushall canals from this years challenge.

Therefore no points will be awarded between Catshill Junction and Rushall junction.

This is because there is no suitable winding hole between the top of the Rushall locks and Blackcock Bridge, and will save water as all boats would have to traverse Rushall locks in both directions.

We have also allowed points to be scored in both directions between Catshill and Pelsall junctions, and between Pelsall and Birchells junctions, so it's still worth going up to the cannock extension, and Angelsey basin.

Please find the new planning sheets attached.

I hope you understand, and are happy we have done our best with the situation.

Sue

Route planner 2022 Final.xlsx

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

HI Everyone.

We now have 14 entries so it should be a good  challenge.

If you are thinking of entering and haven't done so yet, please get your form to me ASAP.

We've now had some discussions with those in the know at the BCN and C&RT and made our decision.

Due to the closure of Blackcock bridge we have decided to remove the Daw End and Rushall canals from this years challenge.

Therefore no points will be awarded between Catshill Junction and Rushall junction.

This is because there is no suitable winding hole between the top of the Rushall locks and Blackcock Bridge, and will save water as all boats would have to traverse Rushall locks in both directions.

We have also allowed points to be scored in both directions between Catshill and Pelsall junctions, and between Pelsall and Birchells junctions, so it's still worth going up to the cannock extension, and Angelsey basin.

Please find the new planning sheets attached.

I hope you understand, and are happy we have done our best with the situation.

Sue

Route planner 2022 Final.xlsx 19.78 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you

If there are no more entries forthcoming then there is a significant risk we might be higher placed in the end results than we were last time! 

3 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Sadly a 6 week trip to Sydney put pay to my plans to join this year with Judith Ann, next year we are hoping to be there all being well!!

Tom didn't fancy single-handing her down then?

Alec

Having pretty much ignored this topic as the dates didn't work for us it now seems that there is a chance we may be in Birmingham on the boat over the challenge day(s).

Probably won't have time to take part but may just go for a cruise around anyway and see who we can spot 🙂

55 minutes ago, IanM said:

Having pretty much ignored this topic as the dates didn't work for us it now seems that there is a chance we may be in Birmingham on the boat over the challenge day(s).

Probably won't have time to take part but may just go for a cruise around anyway and see who we can spot 🙂

The two critical things are:

1. Enter the Challenge

2. Arrive at Withymoor Island at 1400 on Saturday

Everything that happens in between is just a detail. A large part of the Challenge is the gathering at the end.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

1. Enter the Challenge

Everything that happens in between is just a detail. A large part of the Challenge is the gathering at the end.

Will find out later today if we will definitely be able to make it, then I might just enter anyway 👍

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

Oh, quite possibly, i just need to finish the fit out!!!!

It has an engine that goes, a hull with a leak rate lower than the bilge pump rate and a cabin with fewer drips. Add a bucket and what more luxury does Tom need? After all, we are talking about a man who quite literally sleeps on a pile of bits of Kelvin!

22 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

1. Enter the Challenge

Or alternatively:

1. Enter the Challenge.

2. Break down somewhere remote - top of The Crow or the Curly Wyrley are my preferred options, thereby failing to reach the finish.

That’s been my approach on two out of three attempts anyway!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanM said:

Rubbish excuse, just join up and meet us all at the end for a pint

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Rubbish excuse, just join up and meet us all at the end for a pint

Only the one pint...?  I hope they will have a proper stocked bar this year.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, IanM said:

Will find out later today if we will definitely be able to make it, then I might just enter anyway 👍

So it looks like we're able to make it.  To save me trawling back through all the chat, can someone tell me how to apply?

45 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

They let @Dr Bobenter on the day last time, I'm sure they will accommodate 

I actually entered the evening before the start.....but that was not within the rules.

However we actually received bonus points for  doing that .....I think it was for initiative...... but the real reason for the points was only to inflate our very poor score so we didnt come last allowing someone else to do so. I'm not bitter but the bitter was good at Ma Pardoes where we ended up that night.

There is definitley a precedent for entering late and being awarded extra points m'lud.

• Greenie 1

Hopefully this stoppage won't be for long or more challenge routes will be off.

Notice Alert

Location: Rushall Junction to Salford Junction, Tame Valley Canal

Intersection of:

Rushall Junction Bridge to Rushall Junction Bridge on Rushall Canal

and

Access Point to Salford Bridge (Lichfield Road) on Tame Valley Canal

and

M6 Viaduct, Salford Junction to M6 Viaduct, Salford Junction on Birmingham & Fazeley Canal

Tuesday 17 May 2022 13:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Inspection

Original message:

The navigation has had to be closed off due to safety reasons. 

Please bear with us while our teams assess the situation.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/22354/rushall-junction-to-salford-junction-tame-valley-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices