BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

Just now, tree monkey said:

Seems like it was a failure of the manager, apparently she messed up my email, yeah  :)

anyway sorted now

Yeah! It seems I had two email addresses for you in my BCN challenge group and the software had selected the inorrect one. No idea why I had two but all resolved now. It seems to be contagious this email thing, I think Sue must have infected me lol

• Greenie 1

On 16/01/2022 at 13:25, Victor Vectis said:

I learned my lesson when the crew mutinied following a second transit of the Walsall and demanded to be taken in the the centre of Brum for beer.

To do the Walsall once is unfortunate, to be caught there twice is idiotic/stupid/unfogiva le/mad/daft/loony/lost*

*please delete as appropriate

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Yeahbut...

Empty pounds

Broken gates

Broken paddles 

Close relatives of the mattresse of tame in abundance. 

Bottom close to the top

<sigh>I'm getting all nostalgic. Happy days

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Dun Rockin said:

Interested to know what previous winning scores have been?

Thanks

Andy

To be honest, Andy, it won't help you much. If you are going to have a go, best bet is to plan as carefully as you can and don't try to do too much. A stuck lock or a slow boat can blow a split-second plan to bits

Richard

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

To be honest, Andy, it won't help you much. If you are going to have a go, best bet is to plan as carefully as you can and don't try to do too much. A stuck lock or a slow boat can blow a split-second plan to bits

Richard

He is going to need all the help he can get bless him! ;)

Edited by cheshire~rose

On 21/01/2022 at 14:05, Dun Rockin said:

Interested to know what previous winning scores have been?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

I am surprised with so many veterans of The Challenge on this thread nobody has been along to answr you question. @TheBiscuits won the last time it was run and so I would have hoped he would remember his score.

I have used the search function to dig out some old threads on previous challenges. You might find thrawling through them a bit tedious though and whether or not the change in scoring of different sections each year means comparing scores from one year to another I can't say but here are the threads:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/search/&q=BCN%20Challenge&quick=1&search_in=titles

The reason is - I can't remember what our winning scores were from when we competed. We've probably got the results from 2019 somewhere if Sue can find them.

And as you say, we change the points and finish point each time, and vary the number of 'quiz' questions and photo opportunities. So it varies a lot from year to year

I wonder what the top score was in the year that Factory locks held up a whole line of teams, including some of the 'competitive' ones?

Richard

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

I am surprised with so many veterans of The Challenge on this thread nobody has been along to answr you question. @TheBiscuits won the last time it was run and so I would have hoped he would remember his score.

I thought @RLWP answered it well enough.

In 2019 we were aiming for 300 points and based on previous years scoring that would have given us a position in the top quarter of the table.  We would have been happy with this, a respectable showing on our first challenge entry.

As it happened, we did slightly better than that, scoring 318 points and coming top of the table. In other years that score would have placed 6th or 7th.

The 2019 scores were:

Rank BoatName Total Points

1 Good Times 318.36

2 Rebellion 300.75

3 Tatty Lucy 287.18

4 Firefly 283.19

5 Maxwell 274.93

6 Mary Beth 263.75

7 Scorpio & Leo 263.65

8 Blue Nun 249.94

9 Goosander 245.35

10 Misbourne No3 242.48

11 Free Spirit 232.06

12 Corolla 215.7

13 Joy 213.08

14 Dotterel 209.63

15 Peckham Poppy 207.33

16 Carrie-Lou 200.5

17 Rhiannon 177.5

18 Charlie B 175.15

19 Caretta 166.4

20 Joanna 140.5

21 The Cat Who Walks by Himself 57.85

22 Kharis Late Entry 19.9

23 Clarrie 12.38

Cycling entry  (#BCNChallenge)

1 Dave Paine. 219.25

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought @RLWP answered it well enough.

In 2019 we were aiming for 300 points and based on previous years scoring that would have given us a position in the top quarter of the table.  We would have been happy with this, a respectable showing on our first challenge entry.

As it happened, we did slightly better than that, scoring 318 points and coming top of the table. In other years that score would have placed 6th or 7th.

The 2019 scores were:

Rank BoatName Total Points

1 Good Times 318.36

2 Rebellion 300.75

3 Tatty Lucy 287.18

4 Firefly 283.19

5 Maxwell 274.93

6 Mary Beth 263.75

7 Scorpio & Leo 263.65

8 Blue Nun 249.94

9 Goosander 245.35

10 Misbourne No3 242.48

11 Free Spirit 232.06

12 Corolla 215.7

13 Joy 213.08

14 Dotterel 209.63

15 Peckham Poppy 207.33

16 Carrie-Lou 200.5

17 Rhiannon 177.5

18 Charlie B 175.15

19 Caretta 166.4

20 Joanna 140.5

21 The Cat Who Walks by Himself 57.85

22 Kharis Late Entry 19.9

23 Clarrie 12.38

Cycling entry  (#BCNChallenge)

1 Dave Paine. 219.25

Clarrie played a blinder that year

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm surprised Carrie-Lou didn't get more points with all those locks they did ... :giggles:

I have made it known to the team that am not going to be involved in the planning or scoring at all this year. I am only there to support their challenge. I will ensure they are fed and watered and possibly close the odd lock gate after them but I have to work very hard at maths to ensure I don't make mistakes at the best of times. I never did understand that score and never will so I am out of it this year

I agree with the above sentiments that being too prescriptive with targets and plans is not the way to approach the Challenge. As I said somewhere earlier you need a plan that is both competitive and flexible (in real time helps) and a good dose of luck to win.

But for what it's worth I have some of recent winning scores:

2016 - William & Gosport - 347.2 (which considering the boats was an astounding effort)

2017 - Tawny Owl - 293.225

2018 - Indigo Dream - 277.55

2019 - Good Times - 318.36 (as stated above)

It doesn't come down to the decimal places (other than once IIRC) and as has been mentioned the above are not directly comparable since the scoring regime changes each year.  

• Greenie 2

What you can't work out  though is how the points break down. If you've got the route planner you can get your target score for boating. You can't tell how many points you are going to get for clues answered as they are only 'revealed' on the day*

Richard

*Unless you cheat and look at the sealed pack beforehand