BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I'm still waiting for a response to this.  Having boated the challenge 3 times and cycled it once, I rather fancy walking it this time.  I'd been keener if I knew I could be a 'proper' entrant with points awarded etc.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, it's in the rules Dave.

The event is open to everyone with a boat licensed for use on Canal and River Trust waterways.
Other users, e.g. anglers, bird watchers, canoeists, cyclists, naturalists and walkers etc are very
welcome to participate in any way which enhances the spirit of the event and the organisers
would be very pleased to receive constructive suggestions from such groups on how this may be
achieved.

Walkers will receive 1.5 points for each full mile walked.

Yes, you would be a 'proper' contestant - only the third from memory

It's something that needs developing really. We haven't got a plan for people walking parts of the BCN that cannot be navigated by boat, and I think we should have. It needs someone to push the boundaries a bit and se where we end up

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It's something that needs developing really. We haven't got a plan for people walking parts of the BCN that cannot be navigated by boat, and I think we should have. It needs someone to push the boundaries a bit and se where we end up

For what my opinion is worth, I think walkers should get extra points/bonus scores for walking un-navigable  sections.  Ridgacre/Bradley is a very obvious one but there are probably others.

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

For what my opinion is worth, I think walkers should get extra points/bonus scores for walking un-navigable  sections.  Ridgacre/Bradley is a very obvious one but there are probably others.

In my ignorance I've forgotten the chaps name who did the videos for the virtual BCN, I would have thought he would have a lot of info about the derelict bits, maybe have a parallel walking BCN challenge for those bits

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

In my ignorance I've forgotten the chaps name who did the videos for the virtual BCN, I would have thought he would have a lot of info about the derelict bits, maybe have a parallel walking BCN challenge for those bits

We've already co-opted Andy for other purposes

Richard

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, it's in the rules Dave.

The event is open to everyone with a boat licensed for use on Canal and River Trust waterways.
Other users, e.g. anglers, bird watchers, canoeists, cyclists, naturalists and walkers etc are very
welcome to participate in any way which enhances the spirit of the event and the organisers
would be very pleased to receive constructive suggestions from such groups on how this may be
achieved.

Walkers will receive 1.5 points for each full mile walked.

I know it's not all about the winning, but that's a rather low level, and fails to take into account the cumulative effect of racking up some miles and the lack of opportunity to increase the score by doing locks etc.  Imagine I was able to do 25 miles on day 1 and 15 miles on day 2.  I think most people would agree that would be a fairly substantial undertaking, yet it would score a measly 60 points.  In fact I would bet that it would be nigh on impossible for a walker to even finish in the top half of the table.  If participation of other groups is desired, I doubt 1.5 points per mile with no bonus sections (for disused canals for example) is likely to achieve that. 

2.5 points per mile for disused sections would be an idea.

And what about bonus points for helping boat crews if they get stuck or something like that?  Or bonus points for collecting litter?  I'll be honest, I'm not sure how any of that would work in practice!!

I assume walkers can still score points for solving clues and taking the required photos?  Although I'm not sure how that works when the scores are based on boat length?

Of course, Sue and Richard are a very clever pair, so I'm sure they've got this all in hand.

If I do it, I'll probably take the BCN Challenge twitter account out of retirement as it's been quite a useful way of keeping abreast of all the excitement as it unfolds.

3 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I know it's not all about the winning, but that's a rather low level, and fails to take into account the cumulative effect of racking up some miles and the lack of opportunity to increase the score by doing locks etc.  Imagine I was able to do 25 miles on day 1 and 15 miles on day 2.  I think most people would agree that would be a fairly substantial undertaking, yet it would score a measly 60 points.  In fact I would bet that it would be nigh on impossible for a walker to even finish in the top half of the table.  If participation of other groups is desired, I doubt 1.5 points per mile with no bonus sections (for disused canals for example) is likely to achieve that. 

2.5 points per mile for disused sections would be an idea.

And what about bonus points for helping boat crews if they get stuck or something like that?  Or bonus points for collecting litter?  I'll be honest, I'm not sure how any of that would work in practice!!

I assume walkers can still score points for solving clues and taking the required photos?  Although I'm not sure how that works when the scores are based on boat length?

Of course, Sue and Richard are a very clever pair, so I'm sure they've got this all in hand.

If I do it, I'll probably take the BCN Challenge twitter account out of retirement as it's been quite a useful way of keeping abreast of all the excitement as it unfolds.

Surely a walking challenge really needs to be independent from the boating challenge. The issue being to get enough interest to operate such an event in parallel to the boating challenge.

3 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Awww, your belief in us is touching - if misguided....

We're at the 'wouldn't it be a good idea to include walkers!' stage. Nikki and John informally walked part of the challenge a few years back, so we counted them in as competitors.

That's as far as we have got - it needs a proper think if walkers are to be competitive in some overall BCN Challenge Winner thing. Clearly having a walking category with it's own Golden Boot is possible

There's another can-o-worms I'd like to open at some point which is canoeists. Equally as difficult to work out

Richard

8 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Awww, your belief in us is touching - if misguided....

We're at the 'wouldn't it be a good idea to include walkers!' stage. Nikki and John informally walked part of the challenge a few years back, so we counted them in as competitors.

That's as far as we have got - it needs a proper think if walkers are to be competitive in some overall BCN Challenge Winner thing. Clearly having a walking category with it's own Golden Boot is possible

There's another can-o-worms I'd like to open at some point which is canoeists. Equally as difficult to work out

Richard

I would think the main barrier to non-boaters taking part is where do they sleep overnight?  If I walk it, I shall probably leave my boat at my intended overnight stop.

Also,  I remember there being an online mapping website, where you could overlay old maps onto current maps (so you could see both sets at once).  Does anyone have a link?  I'm pondering whether the Bentley Canal is walkable.

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

I would think the main barrier to non-boaters taking part is where do they sleep overnight?  If I walk it, I shall probably leave my boat at my intended overnight stop.

Maybe a challenger could gain bonus points for allowing a walking challenger to kip overnight.

Plus bonus for

Mug of tea

Bit of toast

Full English...

Maybe a reduced bonus for making them sleep on the roof because they're a bit sweaty and smelly

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Also,  I remember there being an online mapping website, where you could overlay old maps onto current maps (so you could see both sets at once).  Does anyone have a link?  I'm pondering whether the Bentley Canal is walkable.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14.75768212890141&lat=52.59728&lon=-2.08974&layers=6&right=ESRIWorld

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Personally I prefer: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.59680&lon=-2.08730&layers=6&b=1

Richard

14 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

It's a similar problem with canoeists, maybe there could be 'campsites' e.g. Ocker Hill

Richard

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Personally I prefer: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.59680&lon=-2.08730&layers=6&b=1

Richard

It's a similar problem with canoeists, maybe there could be 'campsites' e.g. Ocker Hill

Richard

Campsites could work, but obviously the moorers would have to agree and they may well not, due to security concerns.  And the walkers would need letting in.  Possible places with a bit of grass other than Ocker Hill:  Withymoor, Hawne, Hockley Port, Longwood, Sneyd, Grove Colliery.

I like Monkey's idea.

It's something to think about, but not for this year, I'm struggling with getting this organised, and running our business after the last difficult couple of years.

Maybe we can look at ideas and suggestions for a future years, it is a good idea but just too hard at the moment.

Sue

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

It's something to think about, but not for this year, I'm struggling with getting this organised, and running our business after the last difficult couple of years.

Maybe we can look at ideas and suggestions for a future years, it is a good idea but just too hard at the moment.

Sue

I doubt anyone is expecting you both to drop everything and introduce new things for this year's BCN, certainly not me, just throwing around ideas.

Thank you both for all the work you put into this

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Fighting for the wooden spoon then.

It was a close run thing last time. @Dr Bob was seriously in contention due to his underhanded tactics.

Starting at the finish point and slowly cruising away from it for a couple of hours then stopping for a whole day gives a surprisingly low score!

• Greenie 1

I reckon there should be a prize for coming in second last.

Any idiot can come last but it takes real skill, planning and effort to be last but one!

😃

Team 'Red Wharf' will be taking part but for social rather than competitive reasons.

I learned my lesson when the crew mutinied following a second transit of the Walsall and demanded to be taken in the the centre of Brum for beer.

Anyone else thinking about beer in the Wellington Friday pm?

:cheers:

• Greenie 1

I'd love to take part in this challenge but only as limited experience crew Im afraid,  but if anybody needs an extra, if only to make bacon sandwiches, then I can travel if needed. 

Edited by Chagall
too out irrelevant info!

On 14/01/2022 at 09:39, Dave_P said:

The Bentley is walkable but there are some detours needed in the middle bit around Clarke's Lane.

Thankfully our team and much faster at working through locks than they are responding to emails to allow me to get our entry form in!

There are a series of very pressing questions that take more priority though:

•  Dare I open the cupboard where the (now very past it's sell by date) Pot Noodle is stored to bring it along?
  • Will Dr Bob be participating so it can be delivered to him?
  • Has The Noodle now become a living entity of it's own so I need to register it as a crew member?

6 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Thankfully our team and much faster at working through locks than they are responding to emails to allow me to get our entry form in!

There are a series of very pressing questions that take more priority though:

•  Dare I open the cupboard where the (now very past it's sell by date) Pot Noodle is stored to bring it along?
  • Will Dr Bob be participating so it can be delivered to him?
  • Has The Noodle now become a living entity of it's own so I need to register it as a crew member?

No email