BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I'm sure it will fit through Dudley tunnel looking at the photo.  There are bonus points for legging through the tunnel but when we did it a few years ago the experience is worth more than the few points you get.

I've found the tunnel gauge profile - will have to make up a template and check. Thinking about it, assuming it was always based on the same route (and the indications are that it was) it must have been through the Dudley tunnel before in its pre-cabin days, as it pre-dates the Netherton tunnel.

Alec

You've beaten me to it. I was just going to start a new topic!

Yes the challenge will take place on the jubilee weekend, and because the bank holiday is Thursday to Sunday the challenge will run from Friday morning to Saturday afternoon.

Let me know if you want an entry form, we are just trying to finalise the end point then we'll get the forms out.

email me at bcnschallenge@gmail.com

Sue

12 minutes ago, shiprat said:

What is this Challenge?

https://bcnsociety.com/bcns-marathon-challenge/

24h Marathon Challenge

Usually held on the May Bank Holiday, this highly popular event is not about racing along the BCN. It’s about careful planning, and developing a cunning plan well ahead of the event. The fun starts with maps of the BCN, all available canal guides, and all online resources. It’s not about winning, it’s about exploring and getting deeply involved with the Birmingham canals.

BCNS-owned ex-British Waterways working boat "Atlas" at the BCNS Marathon Challenge 2013

BCNS-OWNED EX-BRITISH WATERWAYS WORKING BOAT “ATLAS” AT THE BCNS MARATHON CHALLENGE 2013

How does it work? You’ll learn, months ahead, where the Challenge finishes, and where you should arrive, on the Sunday, for a fun afternoon with the other participants, and perhaps a BBQ. You start, wherever you like, at 8am on Saturday. Six hours of rest are mandatory, where and when is up to you. Planning is everything.

Historic FMC narrowboat "Clover" at Bromford Junction during the 2015 BCNS Marathon Challenge

HISTORIC FMC NARROWBOAT “CLOVER” AT BROMFORD JUNCTION DURING THE 2015 BCNS MARATHON CHALLENGE

Points are awarded for navigating under-used parts of the BCN, for reaching certain locations, and for answering clever questions about something on or near the canals, and for the number of locks and miles you’ve done. It’s not a race, it’s about clever planning. Having a Plan B (or C), should you discover, at 8am on the Saturday, that you are last in the queue to go down Farmers Bridge locks. Doing then something queue-less could make all the difference.

It’s all about fun, and exploring the BCN.

That's the official line.  Some boaters seem to think it's a floating booze fest in the rain.  Hic.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, shiprat said:

What is this Challenge?

It's an opportunity to boat parts of the Birmingham canal network that you may not normally choose to use and then to meet up with other like minded boaters and have a few beers. Plus you have a lack of sleep, work some hard locks, may be get stuck in a few locks, may have a few low pounds and you might get a bit of rubbish around your blades. But all in the name of fun.

On 30/09/2021 at 11:49, Tim Lewis said:

Just seen:

Good afternoon,

The BCN Challenge 2022  will be on the jubilee bank holiday weekend which is Thurs 2nd June to Sunday 5th June.

We have decided to run the challenge from Friday morning to Saturday afternoon this year, as that gives those at work the best chance of getting their boat to and from the challenge, or at least in and out of Birmingham.

We are still in discussion regarding the finish site, but please put the date in your diary, and let me know if you’d like an entry form when they are ready

Thanks

Sue

Where have you seen this please? 

I have not heard anything about it. 

On 30/09/2021 at 13:59, TheBiscuits said:

Apparently it's not quite as shiny anymore ...

Who says? 

Blacking is sacrificial! 

We appear to have managed to clock up close to 500 miles and 289 locks this year despite it being a funny year and starting very late. 

After the amazing crew that arrived to get us up Tardebigge and then out to Kingsbury a couple of days later I can imagine there may be even more crew wanting to get involved - our boat will be the one with the tent pitched on the patio! 

I know Kev is up for it as as Tree Monkey doesn't have a weed hatch to worry about I expect he will be too. We just need to make sure Rob doesn't have any more accidents before May 

20 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Who says? 

Blacking is sacrificial! 

We appear to have managed to clock up close to 500 miles and 289 locks this year despite it being a funny year and starting very late. 

After the amazing crew that arrived to get us up Tardebigge and then out to Kingsbury a couple of days later I can imagine there may be even more crew wanting to get involved - our boat will be the one with the tent pitched on the patio! 

I know Kev is up for it as as Tree Monkey doesn't have a weed hatch to worry about I expect he will be too. We just need to make sure Rob doesn't have any more accidents before May 

There was an email from Sue on Wednesday.  All the info is here though.

17 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Hi Jan,

your email address is bouncing messages back - could you let us have it again to be sure we have it right

Richard

5 hours ago, RLWP said:

Hi Jan,

your email address is bouncing messages back - could you let us have it again to be sure we have it right

Richard

Something is very wrong.  I am unsure how best to fix it. 

I emailed Sue on 9th August to the BCNS address and she replied saying she would update things now she had my correct email address. (An email address that has not changed for 9 years and was the one I was successfully receiving email to that address for the last BCN Challenge)

When I realised yesterday there had been another email sent out I replied to that email that Sue sent me just so it would hopefully flag up the correct email address. I am not aware of any problems with my email, nobody else has suggested they are having problems sending email to me and I have checked my spam filter. 

If you did not get that email I sent yesterday there is little point in me sending it again. Perhaps you can message me via PM (on here or on FB)  to let me know what email address it is you are trying to send to to see if I can identify where the problem lies. 

If my email client is filtering out emails from the BCNS address I need to know why and try and convince it that I really do need to read them! 

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Something is very wrong.  I am unsure how best to fix it. 

I emailed Sue on 9th August to the BCNS address and she replied saying she would update things now she had my correct email address. (An email address that has not changed for 9 years and was the one I was successfully receiving email to that address for the last BCN Challenge)

When I realised yesterday there had been another email sent out I replied to that email that Sue sent me just so it would hopefully flag up the correct email address. I am not aware of any problems with my email, nobody else has suggested they are having problems sending email to me and I have checked my spam filter. 

If you did not get that email I sent yesterday there is little point in me sending it again. Perhaps you can message me via PM (on here or on FB)  to let me know what email address it is you are trying to send to to see if I can identify where the problem lies. 

If my email client is filtering out emails from the BCNS address I need to know why and try and convince it that I really do need to read them! 

We are wondering if your email account is somehow bouncing emails with multiple recipients. I'll get Sue to send you an individual email

Richard

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

We are wondering if your email account is somehow bouncing emails with multiple recipients. I'll get Sue to send you an individual email

Richard

Thank you

Nothing has yet been received. I am very used to getting emails with multiple recipients from both the boat club and Chesterfield Canal Trust. I am not too sure how they are sent though and if it might differ from the format you are using. 

I hope we can get to the root of the problem soon 

Jan

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

I had a similar issue using BCC to many recipients for the heritage working boats group, one person never receives the email with their Microsoft Outlook.com email address so I have to send to them directly.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I had a similar issue using BCC to many recipients for the heritage working boats group, one person never receives the email with their Microsoft Outlook.com email address so I have to send to them directly.

Mine is @gmail.com

I am tempted to say it is a little more "intelligent" than Microsoft but I suspect it is more a case of  Google not missing an opportunity to gather data where it can 

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Mine is @gmail.com

I am tempted to say it is a little more "intelligent" than Microsoft but I suspect it is more a case of  Google not missing an opportunity to gather data where it can 

Have you tried logging into the Gmail website Jan?  If the emails are visible there then it's an issue on your device(s).

Also check for filter rules on the account.

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have you tried logging into the Gmail website Jan?  If the emails are visible there then it's an issue on your device(s).

Also check for filter rules on the account.

Most of the time when we are not on the boat I am accessing my email via the website 

I have just checked filters and only have a couple of rules set in there from many years ago with a couple of troublesome email addresses, certainly nothing that might block these emails and, if that had been the case I would have expected it to affect the emails I was getting without any problem from the same email address in 2020?

23 hours ago, RLWP said:

There should be a reason or error code in the bounce return email.  You'll probably have to look at the raw text source to see it rather than what the client renders visible.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There should be a reason or error code in the bounce return email.  You'll probably have to look at the raw text source to see it rather than what the client renders visible.

Someone could just pick up the phone....

☎️

• Haha 1