BCN Challenge 2022

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

Assuming there is a BCN Challenge in 2022, does anyone know what the dates might be? I know it's usually the bank Holiday weekend at end of May, but that's changed next year so unsure which weekend it might be. 

Need to book annual leave for next year now so really need to know what weekend to book! 

12 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Assuming there is a BCN Challenge in 2022, does anyone know what the dates might be? I know it's usually the bank Holiday weekend at end of May, but that's changed next year so unsure which weekend it might be. 

Need to book annual leave for next year now so really need to know what weekend to book! 

As there is an extra day in the bank holiday next year perhaps it will be a 48 hour challenge!

• 4 months later...

Just seen:

Good afternoon,

The BCN Challenge 2022  will be on the jubilee bank holiday weekend which is Thurs 2nd June to Sunday 5th June.

We have decided to run the challenge from Friday morning to Saturday afternoon this year, as that gives those at work the best chance of getting their boat to and from the challenge, or at least in and out of Birmingham.

We are still in discussion regarding the finish site, but please put the date in your diary, and let me know if you’d like an entry form when they are ready

Thanks

Sue

37 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Vulpes will be entered and my trusty Chief Officer is again up for the challenge of adding the boating know-how to the operation.

I'll just be glad to make it to the start line; it'll have been four years since I used my own boat on the Challenge.

We'd better crack on then....

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yeah, that was a long list I left you with.

Were you scheduled to crew Delhi before Covid intervened?

Will the new paint job be risked?

Yup, although not confirmed there is a rumour that the new paintwork will chance its shine on the BCN

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Apparently it's not quite as shiny anymore ...

My cabin paintwork was done three years ago and I got asked the other week if the boat was new. Shortly afterwards someone else commented on the quality of the paintwork.

I have never shied away from taking it to odd places.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

My cabin paintwork was done three years ago and I got asked the other week if the boat was new. Shortly afterwards someone else commented on the quality of the paintwork.

I have never shied away from taking it to odd places.

Or letting the odd person steer it.

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Glad to hear it. You're either a boater or you ain't. So, you either go boating or you don't.

Unfortunately I'm more a part time boater at the moment,  which is why I have missed the BCN

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Apparently it's not quite as shiny anymore ...

...your swimsuit ...

What!

I'm not swimming in the BCN, weed hatch diving is fine but not full body immersion.

Anyway no one wants to see me in my budgie smugglers, I don't want to see me in my budgie smugglers 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What!

I'm not swimming in the BCN, weed hatch diving is fine but not full body immersion.

Delhi doesn't have a weed hatch ...

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Anyway no one wants to see me in my budgie smugglers, I don't want to see me in my budgie smugglers 

Good point well made.  We'll arrange a mankini instead!

HTB1r4xaIFXXXXbPXFXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg_640x64

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Just seen:

Good afternoon,

The BCN Challenge 2022  will be on the jubilee bank holiday weekend which is Thurs 2nd June to Sunday 5th June.

We have decided to run the challenge from Friday morning to Saturday afternoon this year, as that gives those at work the best chance of getting their boat to and from the challenge, or at least in and out of Birmingham.

We are still in discussion regarding the finish site, but please put the date in your diary, and let me know if you’d like an entry form when they are ready

Thanks

Sue

Shopuld have added sue's contact details:

bcnschallenge@gmail.com

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Where's that?

The ice boat route map c.1952 gives its route as from Windmill End to Gosty Hill, so a trip down to Hawne Basin will need to be included I think, plus it should sound great through Gosty Hill. I am seriously tempted to try the gauge at Dudley Tunnel as it may just fit.

Alec

5 minutes ago, agg221 said:

The ice boat route map c.1952 gives its route as from Windmill End to Gosty Hill, so a trip down to Hawne Basin will need to be included I think, plus it should sound great through Gosty Hill. I am seriously tempted to try the gauge at Dudley Tunnel as it may just fit.

Alec

I'm sure it will fit through Dudley tunnel looking at the photo.  There are bonus points for legging through the tunnel but when we did it a few years ago the experience is worth more than the few points you get.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Alec

I go through Gosty Hill with very few revs as there's no point trying to fight with the 'rubbish soup' that passes for water in there. It's very slow.

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I go through Gosty Hill with very few revs as there's no point trying to fight with the 'rubbish soup' that passes for water in there. It's very slow.

Yes, I've gone through a few times on various boats (the first time the remains of the shed which used to house George the tunnel tug were still standing) and it isn't a quick route, but I do like the section through the old Coombeswood Tube Works the other side.

Alec