Long term mooring on Coventry Canal

superponies

Featured Posts

Hey Guys, 

New to boating, I have a 21ft Buckingham Day boat and I am looking for a permanent spot to keep it.

Preferably, on the Coventry Canal as currently in Atherstone. 

Any advice appreciated on any known moorings that accept GPR boats.

Keep an eye on CaRT's mooring site if you don't want facilities. £835/yr for 23' on the nearby Ashby canal. You can set an alert for your chosen locations when moorings become vacant. You will always find the same problem I have though with a small GRP cruiser on CaRT moorings, you can end up paying for a lot of space you won't use. 

https://www.watersidemooring.com/314-sutton-cheney-wharf-l1/Vacancies

Edited by BilgePump
forgot the link, doh

10 hours ago, superponies said:

Hey Guys, 

New to boating, I have a 21ft Buckingham Day boat and I am looking for a permanent spot to keep it.

Preferably, on the Coventry Canal as currently in Atherstone. 

Any advice appreciated on any known moorings that accept GPR boats.

Try Alvecote Marina

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thank you?

More than half way down but, yes, not in Nuneaton   Am I right about the licence?.

Not well today.

If we are talking the one just near the lock and skew railway bridge then yes I believe its correct, no licence required if you moor there (and dont come out onto the canal of course)..

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If we are talking the one just near the lock and skew railway bridge then yes I believe its correct, no licence required if you moor there (and dont come out onto the canal of course)..

The OP says it's a day boat - perhaps just day trips round (and round) the marina?

13 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The OP says it's a day boat - perhaps just day trips round (and round) the marina?

Yes indeed, it would need a licence if it was to be used fully.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thank you?

More than half way down but, yes, not in Nuneaton   Am I right about the licence?.

Not well today.

I think its between locks 6 and 7 . Samuel Barlow is another option

Would steer away from marinas if possible, will be paying for a full pontoon, so £200/month or there abouts, the one listed on the waterside moorings back a few posts back is a good shout as you only pay for 23ft, less than £70/month, the moorings there are nice and rural and plenty of boaters live there so will keep an eye on your boat, only issue is having to cruise half a day to get off the Ashby.

Or Tamworth cruising club is one that hasn't been mentioned.

Tamworth Cruising Club

Edited by Dave Payne

6 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

I suggested Alvecote Marina ( Samuel Barlow) earlier.

In that case I am agreeing with you 

4 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Would steer away from marinas if possible, will be paying for a full pontoon, so £200/month or there abouts, the one listed on the waterside moorings back a few posts back is a good shout as you only pay for 23ft, less than £70/month, the moorings there are nice and rural and plenty of boaters live there so will keep an eye on your boat, only issue is having to cruise half a day to get off the Ashby.

Or Tamworth cruising club is one that hasn't been mentioned.

Tamworth Cruising Club

£750 per year at Alvecote

On 04/05/2021 at 09:38, Tracy D'arth said:

Barry Hawkins yard down the bottom of the Atherstone flight, I believe no licence is required in there.

As others have said, halfway down the flight, but this is a DAY BOAT.

3 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

As others have said, halfway down the flight, but this is a DAY BOAT.

I'm guessing that the OP means leisure boat as opposed to residential. A Buckingham is plenty big enough in the cabin for one or two people to spend a week aboard. They are close to 20' but cavernous inside compared to a 20' Shetland or Norman, much more like a Dawncraft 22 space wise. If the OP can only get to go out for the day, it will be life restrictions at play, not boaty ones. Personally, I wouldn't want to be moored in a short pound between locks for exactly those reasons. Even with a good open stretch, time away from the home mooring can be very limited when you can only manage a few hours on the boat each visit for much of the year.

11 locks, marina is between locks 5 and 6, so not halfway i would say, halfway would be halfway up/down lock 5.

On 04/05/2021 at 20:01, ditchcrawler said:

In that case I am agreeing with you 

£750 per year at Alvecote

Nice and cheap, but nightmare getting in and out, have you seen the volume of boats stuffed in there!

34 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

11 locks, marina is between locks 5 and 6, so not halfway i would say, halfway would be halfway up/down lock 5.

Why cant CRT just leave things as they were. 

Not only are you not allowed to use the side ponds at lock 6 any more, theyve also moved Baddesley Basin up a pound......?

Its 0.7 miles to the top lock and 1.1 mile to the bottom lock.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

Nice and cheap, but nightmare getting in and out, have you seen the volume of boats stuffed in there!

I'm not certain if you mean Alvecote but if you do, I can't agree.

I moored my 70' boat there for three years and had no problem getting in or out. Yes there are several boats per pontoon but there is more than 3 boats' width between pontoons.

5 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

If you wish to be stupidly pernickety, then halfway out of 11 locks is going to be 1/2 way up/down lock 6.

6 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Yes I moor there and never had a problem yet