Repairing a diesel tank containing diesel

Featured Posts

A narrowboat that I am about to purchase has damage to the sacrificial couter baseplate on either side where the rudder has been hitting it almost wearing through the weld, There is a danger that this will soon wear through and the diesel tank which it is a part of will start leaking. The rudder is also damaged in the same way. I would like to know whether the damage can be repaired (pad welded) whilst there is diesel in the tank or should this be drained out?

P1050790 copy.jpg

Don't quote me........ But.

I reckon welding on a full tank is far safer than an empty one.

If you weld on an empty tank, the residual diesel which is almost impossible to get rid of will set on fire.

I have welded on hundreds of diesel tanks, the bottom is safer than the top. 

If I was welding near the top, in the air space, I would give the tank a shot of CO2 from a fire extinguisher then seal it up.

As the late John Jackson said to me many years ago, "carry on lass, it will be the first one that I have ever exploded"

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And those were his last words .......................

Fortunately they were not, he died this year at age 88 and was a grand fellow. For those who did not know, he was the owner of Kerridge Dry Dock.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, dudleyblake said:

A narrowboat that I am about to purchase has damage to the sacrificial couter baseplate on either side where the rudder has been hitting it almost wearing through the weld, There is a danger that this will soon wear through and the diesel tank which it is a part of will start leaking. The rudder is also damaged in the same way. I would like to know whether the damage can be repaired (pad welded) whilst there is diesel in the tank or should this be drained out?

P1050790 copy.jpg

Streethay welded two pads on mine when it was out for blacking about 5 years ago because mine had started to wear.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

They look like very small repairs so I'm sure you'll be fine. You need some vertical steel pads for the rudder to hit.

And relieve the rudder so it hits the pads and misses the uxter plate edge.

22 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fortunately they were not, he died this year at age 88 and was a grand fellow. For those who did not know, he was the owner of Kerridge Dry Dock.

First dry dock I ever used, DIY and he made sure I did the job properly, glad he made a good age he was a pleasure to know 

• Love 1