Daily use leisure mooring

Featured Posts

Hi All,

looking for an alternative to residential mooring and i found the option of daily use leisure mooring at Pillings Lock Marina.

They offer the usual leisure mooring option but for a roughly £40 monthly surcharge you can stay on your boat 24/7.

Can't be the only Marina offering this option but i struggle to find an alternative closer to the south east.

2 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Hi All,

looking for an alternative to residential mooring and i found the option of daily use leisure mooring at Pillings Lock Marina.

They offer the usual leisure mooring option but for a roughly £40 monthly surcharge you can stay on your boat 24/7.

Can't be the only Marina offering this option but i struggle to find an alternative closer to the south east.

The closer to the south east you go the more you will get ripped off.

11 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Hi All,

So, how does this "daily use leisure mooring" differ from a residential mooring?

The only difference i can see that you don't have to pay council tax and they have a rule what the post delivery is concerned.

Post Boxes are available from the marina office for rental. They are to be used for the sole purpose of acting as a forwarding address only. Customers may not use to the post boxes here at Pilling's Lock for voters roll registration, running a business or claiming of state benefits. Post boxes are only available to Leaseholders & Berth Holders paying “Daily User” Rates

I know of at least one leisure moorings marina (coastal) that had a similar thing. They called it 'intensive usage' or something similar.  Essentially it was for anyone staying at the marina more than 150 nights/yr iirc. Was per person rather than boat size and quite reasonable cost at the time (five or six years ago). Similar thing for post forwarding, not a reg'd address and a recognition that although you may live on the boat you did not have a residential mooring so should take  the boat out of the marina or stay away for a number of nights/yr.  Rather a grey area, certainly not residential but all above board and the right side of marina management.

Although it may not be important to you, they are charging you £480 a year with you receiving NO permanent rights, no voting address, no post box etc, so why pay it.

It's not as if they are being honest with the local authority(and havnt been since the opened, along with BW/CRT).

You also pay over the odds for electricity so they sting you for this as well....

Even though this is illegal....the last boaters who questioned this were thrown off site.

There are MANY better and nearer places than Pillings Lock.

Just have a look through this forum search engine to see what an honest bunch they are.

Oh, and if you miss a payment, they will probably disable your gearbox until its paid.....

• Greenie 1

I have come across high usage which gives you free pumpout and a reserved parking bay. If they allow you voter registration and benefits address then they have to have planning consent (unlikely to get more than they have) and you get the privilege of paying council tax. The Nelson approach seems common but as you are there a lot then, there is higher wear and tear and more rubbish which they have to pay for, so some small additions to cover this is common.