Beta 43: Thermostat & gasket replacement.

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I recently tried to be proactive and replace the thermostat on my 1997 BV1903/43 as I had not idea if it had ever been done before (no engine service history). 

I got the parts and managed to change (though rushed slightly as I didn't drain the system). I was confident I had it all correct, but after a good few hours crusiing yesterday I noticed a hissing around the mounting. Upon inspection today, I think I lost maybe 1.5 liter of water. 

PXL_20210502_070608711.jpg.ec38ca6c85a99e03311949ad9a5b00e2.jpg

I think I can see the gasket isn't in a perfect seal. 

I suppose I have two options, 1) continue and top up before each day and get a damp engine bay until I can get a new gasket, 2) drain and try to improve the gasket seal (assuming they can be reused?). 

What would you do Canalworld?

Thanks!

1)  Buy a new gasket.

2) Take it apart.

3) Clean off all mating surfaces, properly.

4) Fit new gasket with a thin smear of Hylomar compound both sides.

5) clean off around and repaint.

6) stop messing with things that aint broke and that you know nowt about?

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

6) stop messing with things that aint broke and that you know nowt about?

Ah now where would the fun be in life without a bit of that? 

I'll be movin for a good few more days before the chance to buy a new gasket and some of the hylomar stuff sadly. 

Are the old and new thermostat absolutely dimension wise, is the new stat sitting square in the recess, and did you clean the recess around the hole the thermostat drops into.  when you tightened the housing down did you do each nut/stud evenly gradually working around the nuts.

It looks to me as if the housing is not sitting square on the cylinder head.

3 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

Ah now where would the fun be in life without a bit of that? 

I'll be movin for a good few more days before the chance to buy a new gasket and some of the hylomar stuff sadly. 

7)  Replace that rotten hose and that 'orrible wire hose clip with a stainless steel worm drive clip.

RIght, decided that one day of cruising and the poor sitting wouldn't have done the gasket much damange.  Upon inspection, I think I was an idiot and place the gasket *below* the thermostat!

Fortunately the gasket seem in good condition, so I'll try get myself some liquid gasket this morning and put it all back together properly. 

Thanks! 

7) There are a lot of hoses and clips that'll be replaced when I've got the time, might even repaint afterwards.. 

3 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

RIght, decided that one day of cruising and the poor sitting wouldn't have done the gasket much damange.  Upon inspection, I think I was an idiot and place the gasket *below* the thermostat!

Fortunately the gasket seem in good condition, so I'll try get myself some liquid gasket this morning and put it all back together properly. 

Thanks! 

7) There are a lot of hoses and clips that'll be replaced when I've got the time, might even repaint afterwards.. 

Well, that's honest!  No wonder it leaked.  Learning curve?  See item 6!  We learn from our mistakes in life.

The Beta gasket is shaped in the horizontal plane and should only go domed side up.

Cross section         ____/            \____

I had to call Beta and ask ?

4 hours ago, spicemouse said:

PXL_20210502_070608711.jpg.ec38ca6c85a99e03311949ad9a5b00e2.jpg

If on reassembly you see a gap like that, then you should take it apart again, investigate the problem and sort it out, before ever starting the engine again!

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I have on old cars used cornflake box and liquid gasket when I couldn’t get a new gasket, lasted years.

Most of the gaskets on my Allegro were from cornflake boxes. Most of them outlasted the stupid car.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I have on old cars used cornflake box and liquid gasket when I couldn’t get a new gasket, lasted years.

Have to confess Kelpie  is currently running with a greased card gasket as the original wouldn't seal after thermostat removed for checking while investigating a minor overheating problem.

:wub:

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well, that's honest!  No wonder it leaked.  Learning curve?  See item 6!  We learn from our mistakes in life.

Indeed we do, but it's always best if we can learn from someone else's!  

The weekend before last, I was horrified to see the temp gauge on my Perkins 4108M shoot up to the top mark. Upon investigating, the engine didn't seem overhot, and the coolant level in the Bowman was good. As I carry a spare thermostat, I decided to change it just in case, and was surprised to find no gasket in the new box. However, I cleaned up the faces (the gasket had stayed on the cover anyway, in one piece thankfully)

. I reassembled and refilled the Bowman header. Upon switching on to start it, the wretched gauge went straight to the top, so the sender was the problem. The new sender was only 3/8" instead of 1/2" so needed a bush. When I changed that, it was obvious to me that the sensor would not have been in water, so if anyone else makes the same repair, after you've refilled, loosen the new sensor to bleed the socket.

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

The weekend before last, I was horrified to see the temp gauge on my Perkins 4108M shoot up to the top mark. Upon investigating, the engine didn't seem overhot, and the coolant level in the Bowman was good. As I carry a spare thermostat, I decided to change it just in case, and was surprised to find no gasket in the new box. However, I cleaned up the faces (the gasket had stayed on the cover anyway, in one piece thankfully)

. I reassembled and refilled the Bowman header. Upon switching on to start it, the wretched gauge went straight to the top, so the sender was the problem. The new sender was only 3/8" instead of 1/2" so needed a bush. When I changed that, it was obvious to me that the sensor would not have been in water, so if anyone else makes the same repair, after you've refilled, loosen the new sensor to bleed the socket.

Are you sure the new sender is compatible with the gauge.  3/8" sounds like a US standard sender while 1/2" on a 4-108 sounds like a UK standard. If the gauge now reads about half what it should or twice what it should its the wrong sender.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure the new sender is compatible with the gauge.  3/8" sounds like a US standard sender while 1/2" on a 4-108 sounds like a UK standard. If the gauge now reads about half what it should or twice what it should its the wrong sender.

Yes tony, it was from Parts for Engines, and they even point out that if you have the 1/2" unit you need the reducing bush (and sell it to you). 

P.S. It works!!!

11 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Even better get some proper gasket paper. People on eBay sell little selection kits. eBay will also supply a decent set of punches for not much money, probably chinese but they work. Making gaskets can be quite therapeutic, and quicker and nicer than driving to the shops to buy one.

..............Dave