Mooring costs

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think I paid about 30 quid for one night in the floating harbor + the fee to be on that stretch of water. But that was about 8 years ago so it's probably gone up since then. I only stayed one night and headed out to the Bristol channel the next morning

Are you not mistaking the Severn estuary for the Bristol Channel?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I'm not sure. Where does one start and the other finish exactly?

Sand Point, near Weston-Super-Mare is the upper limit of the Bristol Chanel on the Somerset side.  About 13 miles downstream of the mouth of the Avon.

A friend of mine had the task of checking with the company's (one of the big four accountancy firms) insurer that the staff, charity fund raising activities were acceptable.  There was a concern that teaching your colleagues a martial art might backfire on the firm if someone later used the new skill to beat-up strangers and similar thoughts.

But his favourite was the queries raised in relation to the chap who proposed to swim across the Bristol Channel.  “Would there be a safety boat?” was fair enough but “Can he swim?” seemed over-basic.

On 07/05/2021 at 22:28, Tacet said:

It's all so confusing around there! When we set out from Sharpness once we met a cruiser who had come down the Avon from Stratford to Tewkesbury, then down the Severn, and was heading for Portishead so he could rejoin the Avon there and thus travel back up to Stratford.

• Haha 3

On 01/05/2021 at 20:27, Jennifer McM said:

I'm interested to know what boaters think about costs of mooring fees for 32 nights?

Need to get to grips with costs..... thanks :) 

image.png.1a77613f866036136f8f8f1a75dccc49.png

Edited to say; this marina is in the Midlands.

Electric is normally 5% for home use wonder why its different for boats used as homes?

29 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Electric is normally 5% for home use wonder why its different for boats used as homes?

If it’s commercial as at our unit then vat can be charged at 20%. Doesn’t make a difference there as we just claim it back. 

On 09/05/2021 at 14:02, peterboat said:

I would have thought it should be 5%.  The VAT on the electricity infrastructure charge is also 5%, at least ours is.

• 2 months later...
On 07/05/2021 at 22:28, Tacet said:

Just watching an episode of "Saving Lives at Sea" in which several RNLI crew refer to the area outside Portishead as the Bristol Channel. If local RNLI crew are saying it I don't think it was such a big mistake - in fact I seem to recall my pilot calling it the Bristol Channel so the terms seem to be used interchangeably. If we're being pedantic then perhaps that's an error but it hardly seems worthy of mention.