Mooring costs

Featured Posts

I'm interested to know what boaters think about costs of mooring fees for 32 nights?

Need to get to grips with costs..... thanks :) 

image.png.1a77613f866036136f8f8f1a75dccc49.png

Edited to say; this marina is in the Midlands.

Edited by Jennifer McM

Expensive.

I have 27 days booked as a visitor spread over 7 weeks and they are charging me their monthly long term rate of £151 rather than the £270 for 27x  the daily price.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

This I think is the worry, the Group who owns the marina has bought two marinas lately, one on the Sth Oxford, and Trinity on the Ashby - Castle Marine. 

The marina's cost above is Wigrams - a really nice marina, but....

We're paying half this in the new Mancetter Marina this month, and we're booked to go into Dunchurch Pools next month, also for half the costs.

I'm just trying to get my head around it.....

Edited by Jennifer McM

Not that we have ever moored in one of their marinas but I quite like Castle. Yes, they are growing quite rapidly. But I do think they are trying it on with the above costs. £6000 a year. I don’t think so.

They bought Crick and Cropredy marinas not so long ago Cropredy they have just opened the third basin. They also have just bought the nye on deserted Marina not far from Rugby, can’t remember the name at present. They are growing definitely.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not that we have ever moored in one of their marinas but I quite like Castle. Yes, they are growing quite rapidly. But I do think they are trying it on with the above costs. £6000 a year. I don’t think so.

They bought Crick and Cropredy marinas not so long ago Cropredy they have just opened the third basin. They also have just bought the nye on deserted Marina not far from Rugby, can’t remember the name at present. They are growing definitely.

Brinklow.

Brinklow | Castle Marinas

Edited by Ray T

54 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm interested to know what boaters think about costs of mooring fees for 32 nights?

I think that what is now and will become even more so over the next few years due to covid keeping people in the UK is boat moorings catching up with other leisure costs. Boat mooring is HUGELY cheaper than caravan or motorhome costs per night. For instance a 70 foot boat here tonight is paying 12 pounds or 15 with lectric hook up and the smallest campervan is 20 quid or 25 with lectric and we are absolutely rammed and turned dozens away. So I reckon marinas are realising that they are very cheap against such as caravan charges per night.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think that what is now and will become even more so over the next few years due to covid keeping people in the UK is boat moorings catching up with other leisure costs. Boat mooring is HUGELY cheaper than caravan or motorhome costs per night. For instance a 70 foot boat here tonight is paying 12 pounds or 15 with lectric hook up and the smallest campervan is 20 quid or 25 with lectric and we are absolutely rammed and turned dozens away. So I reckon marinas are realising that they are very cheap against such as caravan charges per night.

It isn't often I agree with you but this time I do!   A caravan CL which is basically a field with a tap and an elsan disposal point is in the region of £15 a night, sometimes with electricity sometimes not.

• Greenie 1

image.png.7341d1db94c52039bd070ce33ad9e28f.png

Works out, £4.50 per ft x 57ft = £256 inc VAT at Kings Orchard

Mancetter: £214 inc VAT

Dunchurch Pools: £236 inc VAT

IMO prices never appear to go down, so are prices set for a big hike, pushed along by a 'big player'?

Perhaps Castle Marina are saying they don't want monthly boat storage, but if you insist then their rates are correspondingly high !

Castle Marinas also offer annual boaters a flexible mooring (subject to availability) mooring at their other sites, which worked for us a few days at a time when moving around the system.

At present I believe that Brinklow Marina is nearly empty, so why not talk to their local manager and see if they could not offer you the short term berth you are looking for.

Reading between the lines and I may be wrong but it appears that you are slowly moving around the system looking for short term mooring on a regular basis albeit at different locations, that unfortunately come at a price as you have found out. 

Do you need electric hook up  maybe you could save this particular expense ?

Please don't be offended by my comments, they are only my observations

• Greenie 3

No offense taken ? Just trying to understand, and of course being suspicious (of pricing). We've used Castle Marine many times, especially Wigrams and don't have a grumble with their operations. We've found they've great friendly staff. The thought has popped into my head too that they don't want 'casual' moorers, so why not say so?

ABC I understand run many marinas, and their prices look to be in line (ish).

We're at that 'anno domini' stage in life, and ill health is making 'wild mooring' a bit 'dangerous' - hence the 'marina hopping'. I've got itchy feet ?

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Happy 1

11 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

To me,that bill is far far too high.

My mooring cost is £60 per month (20' cruiser at a wharf mooring leased by the marina)

Facilities include showers,Elsan point,chandlery,diesel,coal and gas plus engineering.

I really couldn't "thoyle"parting with the amount of brass on your bill just for mooring up for a few nights.

It would certainly spoil the pleasure of boating.

The marina here has 72 hour free mooring and then charges at a daily rate.Seems a more civilised way to me.

• Greenie 1

I am suspicious about the electricity charge. I thought it was illegal to charge more moorers more per unit than the price charged by the electricity company but charging an extra for providing the infrastructure is allowed. Also is electricity not charged sat 5% VAT. So I think that unless you are paying for units on top of the quoted price I think the bill should reflect two VAT rates and so on.

I think you may do better to enquire at Calcutt, they may even have a free online mooring just one lock down from Wigrams.

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am suspicious about the electricity charge. I thought it was illegal to charge more moorers more per unit than the price charged by the electricity company but charging an extra for providing the infrastructure is allowed.

I was just typing basically the same as Tony...

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Don't Farndon do narrowboats?

Yes - but there are only a few narrowboats  at Farndon . There are  not many spaces that can take a full size narrowboat.

I believe  the prices  include VAT.

Farndon is mostly occupied by long term moorers.

Visiting  charges are usually higher than long term  at most if not all marinas .

• Greenie 1

Stuff that. Its rip off Britain and the reason we don't bother. Hired a narrowboat last week and prices are much the same as over the channel and no complaints at all but keeping a boat here is usually just too dear.  Offhand I think we are paying about 600 Euros for 12 months  and the 'licence' is peanuts. (We are only 10m x 3.2 though)

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

You're being ripped to the gills! ?

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You're being ripped to the gills! ?

Not on your nelly ? I've cancelled.  

But ... Castle Marine could become a gamechanger for future mooring prices; somehow acquiring a portfolio of marinas has to be paid for.

When prices go up, they very rarely come down.

9 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Not on your nelly ? I've cancelled.  

But ... Castle Marine could become a gamechanger for future mooring prices; somehow acquiring a portfolio of marinas has to be paid for.

When prices go up, they very rarely come down.

Ive sent you a PM.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MikeHing said:

Just had a quote for 14 days visitor mooring for a 57' nb on River Avon (Bristol way) of £657. That's about £47/day. Unbelievable. Needless to say we will stop somewhere else.

Don't carry on to Bristol harbour then as it may be more than that for a visitor mooring.

I think I paid about 30 quid for one night in the floating harbor + the fee to be on that stretch of water. But that was about 8 years ago so it's probably gone up since then. I only stayed one night and headed out to the Bristol channel the next morning