Mains water pump

Featured Posts

Increasing the flow rate to your shower will also decrease the time you can spend in it, before you run out of hot water. If you don't also increase the shower drain pump capacity, you may get overflow from the shower tray into the boat. Everything in life has to be balanced and comprimise is something you have to live with.

Well with my shower the pump cuts in and out while having a shower, so for me fitting a higher flow pump would not increase the amount of water coming from the shower. This is why I asked the OP if his pump runs continually while the shower is on. The pump as others have said may not be the limiting factor

• Greenie 1

Heya all

Cheers for all the info - we've got a calorifier, I'm happy with a cold shower and me and my partner shower at different times of the day so it'll give the immersion heater time to recover. As for running out of cold water, we've got a hose very close indeed so that's not a major issue

17 hours ago, Detling said:

Increasing the flow rate to your shower will also decrease the time you can spend in it, before you run out of hot water. If you don't also increase the shower drain pump capacity, you may get overflow from the shower tray into the boat. Everything in life has to be balanced and comprimise is something you have to live with.

I've checked the gulper and it'll be able to cope with about 3 times the current flow

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well with my shower the pump cuts in and out while having a shower, so for me fitting a higher flow pump would not increase the amount of water coming from the shower. This is why I asked the OP if his pump runs continually while the shower is on. The pump as others have said may not be the limiting factor

The current pump kicks in shortly after the shower starts and runs continuously until the shower stops.

I've ordered a 2nd Jabsco, couldn't find the pressure switch right away - if there's problems once both pumps are installed I'll get one :)

If it was a house I would fit one of these (or similar) but it seems OTT for a boat. I stole this from a supplier's web page, there are lots of other makers and suppliers. This gives up to 52 litre/min at up to 40m head. To plumb it in I would add a non return valve on the discharge of each pump to preclude back flow.

Draper Surface Mounted And Booster Pumps Draper BP2A 53L/Min 800W Stainless Steel Body Booster Pump - 31561Stainless steel bodied pump for home and garden water supplies. Automatic cut-off switch and 20L expansion tank ensure continuity of water pressure. Fitted with non-return valve and double insulated impeller providing a quiet and efficient performance. 

DRAPER
 31561_BP2A.jpg
S

Specification:

• Flow rate up to 53 litres/min
  • Maximum head 40m
  • 800 watt, 230v motor
  • Output aperture diameter - 25mm
  • Hose adaptor diameter - 25mm

4 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Specification:

• Maximum head 40m
  • 800 watt, 230v motor

80 amps might hammer your batteries a bit tho', add in the need for 1" piping and its not an eay fix.

Maybe folks that buy boats should accept the limitations of being on a boat rather than a floating flat.

A bit like those that move into the village and then want the church bells banned, accept what you have chosen as your life style and all will be fine.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

If it was a house I would fit one of these (or similar) but it seems OTT for a boat. I stole this from a supplier's web page, there are lots of other makers and suppliers. This gives up to 52 litre/min at up to 40m head. To plumb it in I would add a non return valve on the discharge of each pump to preclude back flow.

Draper Surface Mounted And Booster Pumps Draper BP2A 53L/Min 800W Stainless Steel Body Booster Pump - 31561Stainless steel bodied pump for home and garden water supplies. Automatic cut-off switch and 20L expansion tank ensure continuity of water pressure. Fitted with non-return valve and double insulated impeller providing a quiet and efficient performance. 

DRAPER
 31561_BP2A.jpg
S

Specification:

• Maximum head 40m
  • 800 watt, 230v motor

Very nice

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

80 amps might hammer your batteries a bit tho', add in the need for 1" piping and its not an eay fix.

Maybe folks that buy boats should accept the limitations of being on a boat rather than a floating flat.

A bit like those that move into the village and then want the church bells banned, accept what you have chosen as your life style and all will be fine.

he is in a marina running on mains with an immersion heater to heat the water and a tap by the boat to refill the tank

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

he is in a marina running on mains with an immersion heater to heat the water and a tap by the boat to refill the tank

I suppose if he ever decides to use it as a boat they could always 'go dirty' for a couple of weeks.

There just seems to be an ever widening gap between boaters and those living on a boat because they cannot afford anywhere else.

• Greenie 1

Whale Gulper 220 = 14 l/min

Parmax 2.9 = 11 l/min. Two = 22 l/min

Did you measure the actual flow at the shower head ? Or have I got the wrong Whale Gulper?

Not sure how the Whale Gulper will have 3 x current flow.

Edited by PaulD
Correction

3 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Whale Gulper 220 = 14 l/min

Parmax 2.9 = 11 l/min. Two = 22 l/min

Did you measure the actual flow at the shower head ? Or have I got the wrong Whale Gulper?

Not sure how the Whale Gulper will have 3 x the needed capacity.

You've got both right, but the flow from the showerhead is 4lpm.

If the flow does get too much for the gulper, I'll find a stronger replacement, but for now I won't solve a problem we don't have

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose if he ever decides to use it as a boat they could always 'go dirty' for a couple of weeks.

There just seems to be an ever widening gap between boaters and those living on a boat because they cannot afford anywhere else.

I've wanted to live on a boat for the last 5 years, and while I'm used to a less luxurious lifestyle, I'm not the only one onboard :) Could afford to rent a teeny tiny flat in London, but where's the fun in that?

17 minutes ago, jacob said:

You've got both right, but the flow from the showerhead is 4lpm.

If your pump is rated at 11 lpm and you are getting 4 lpm at the showerhead I would suggest your problem is one of pipework which is too narrow/long/too many tight bends, or a shower valve/head which is not capable of carrying the flow you want. Doubling up on the pump without changing anything else will just mean two pumps running for half the time each, the maximum pressure at the pump being determined by the cut out pressure.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If your pump is rated at 11 lpm and you are getting 4 lpm at the showerhead I would suggest your problem is one of pipework which is too narrow/long/too many tight bends, or a shower valve/head which is not capable of carrying the flow you want. Doubling up on the pump without changing anything else will just mean two pumps running for half the time each, the maximum pressure at the pump being determined by the cut out pressure.

I remember doing the calculations when fitting out. Same Parmax and Whalegulper. 

Plenty of water coming out of my shower. Something is wrong with the plumbing.

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Hmm, ok - there's 4 fairly redundant 90deg bends right next to the pump, so I'll have a play with that and see if things improve, cheers

4 litres is very low have you measured with the showerhead off, if lot more get a new one. possible also the mixer is restricting it to that low number. The bends won't help I repaced with flexitap hose but they shouldn't reduce flow from thhe theoretical 11 (actual will be over 9) to 4

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder if touring caravan owners say the same thing about people with static vans?

Some people like to live on boats and never move for some reason and its not for cheep housing.