Couple allegedly pushed into canal by fisherman

springy

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Of course, they were really pushed in by an asshole who also goes fishing. Assholes are also to be found engaging in other pastimes, sadly including boating. :(

Mostly they ride jetskis. When they're not fishing, obviously.

Apologies to the considerate jetski jockeys out there. There must be one or two but I haven't met one yet.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Of course, they were really pushed in by an asshole who also goes fishing. Assholes are also to be found engaging in other pastimes, sadly including boating. :(

By volume I find there are more arseholes fishing than boating….it’s like it’s a badge of honour

1 hour ago, frangar said:

By volume I find there are more arseholes fishing than boating….it’s like it’s a badge of honour

Surely, be we boaters or fishermen, we all have the same number each.

2 hours ago, lepus said:

I don't often contribute to the forum but as a person with a foot in each camp feel I must contribute to this thread. In my twenty years of boating and over thirty years as fisherman this is about context. As a boater going down the canal I speak to fishermen I know who don't recognise me because I'm on my boat and where they would normally be affable and friendly they become rude and surly. Vice versa with boaters I know who see me fishing. It's more about fishermen's prejudice against boaters and boaters prejudice against fishermen. I appear to have alleviated this problem by naming my boat with a fishy theme! But have yet to discover how to pacify boaters when fishing?

I'd say just a smile or a nod? I have passed the odd fisherman who is friendly. Two on the Staffs and Worcs even said they liked boats as they stir up the silt. Also passed the reading district anglers association at Froxfield, no less than 3 of whom got up to urinate on the towpath as we cruised past.?‍♂️

• Haha 1

I always without fail slow, to passing boats speed, and say hello, hiya or whatever. I sometimes engage in conversation like, are they biting today? If I get a grumpy angler, I then say oh! Yes they are!!

Having said that, if they are pole fishing I’d go towards the towpath, if rod fishing I would stay on the offside. This action doesn’t always favour the individual. So, as the song suggests, ‘straight down the middle’ it is.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

Thought Dinbach (Denby) was in Wales.

And both the Welsh and Derbyshire ones are nowhere near Denby Dale, near Huddersfield. My UK geography is so naff I once nearly bought a boat on ebay hundreds of miles away in Penryn, getting it confused with Penrith, just up the M6.

25 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

Thought Dinbach (Denby) was in Wales.

There may be one, though I haven't heard of it - being Derbyshire-born, I tend to think of my local one. But some names, as Mr. Pump indicates, crop up all over the place. There's a Sudbury in Derbyshire, but also one in Suffolk and doubtless a few more too.

22 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

And both the Welsh and Derbyshire ones are nowhere near Denby Dale, near Huddersfield. My UK geography is so naff I once nearly bought a boat on ebay hundreds of miles away in Penryn, getting it confused with Penrith, just up the M6.

They do like a pie in Denby Dale ;) 

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

Er, that's Tenby. Denby is in Derbyshire.

Pronounced "Denby" Both a town and a county :

Denbigh is both a market town and a community in Denbighshire, Wales. Formerly, the county town, the Welsh name translates to "Little Fortress"; a reference to its historic castle. Denbigh lies near the Clwydian Hills.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, lepus said:

sorry.thank you for alerted me to the fact I've not changed the new details on the forum 

Aha! Now all becomes clear. It did provoke an interesting series of posts, though.

I remember (from many years ago) that they were a bit slow in Swad.

Edited by Athy