Bilge Paint

Featured Posts

International paints have inexplicably discontinued Danboline bilge paint in RED.  Grey & White remain available (Why white???!!!)  For those of us who want red paint for bilges and holds etc, what are other peoples' experiences of other manufacturers' products.  The Danboline in my boat has been there for well over 20 years and has only recently started to lift in the more testing areas.

I’ve been happy with Craftmaster Bilge Paint, but mine is also light grey, and I don’t know if they do red.

I chose a light colour, as advice suggests that oil leaks and other issues will show up better than on the darker reds and greens that are often used.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Mudskipper said:

International paints have inexplicably discontinued Danboline bilge paint in RED.  Grey & White remain available (Why white???!!!) 

Because white makes some leaks very easy to spot, so there'll doubtless be quite a market outside of the inland waterways. For example, the Royal Navy used a white paint  as standard in torpedo magazines when it would quickly show up any leaking "Otto Fuel" - nasty toxic stuff which it had its own oxygen and so was a wee bit awkward to put out if it caught fire. Frankly, I'd be loath to have Otto fuel aboard my narrowboat, so I'm sticking with grey...

5 hours ago, Mudskipper said:

International paints have inexplicably discontinued Danboline bilge paint in RED.  Grey & White remain available (Why white???!!!)  For those of us who want red paint for bilges and holds etc, what are other peoples' experiences of other manufacturers' products.  The Danboline in my boat has been there for well over 20 years and has only recently started to lift in the more testing areas.

Probably because you are the only customer for red and only buy a pot every 20 years

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mudskipper said:

I found this too! Really annoying. I’ve used both craftmaster which is fine and more recently Teamac as sold by midland chandlers which has only been on a year but seems ok and is cheaper. 

No idea why the dropped the red danboline as I’d been using it since the 1990’s.