Olive Cliff…Legendary landlady of The Anchor Inn has passed away

frangar

Featured Posts

Just read this on Facebook…I will miss seeing her and chatting when we popped in for a pint or five….

It is with great sadness that we have learned of the passing of Olive Cliff from the Anchor at High Offley.

A message from her daughter:
REF: Anchor Inn, High Offley 
To the customers and friends of Olive Cliff,
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Olive Cliff at 7o’clock on the evening of 28th April.
Olive had been diagnosed with Cancer and it was her expressed wish that her condition was kept from the public and disclosed only within the family.
The Anchor inn will most certainly be opening up for business in the near future, but for now we ask for time to come to terms with olive’s passing and adjust to life.
Thank you for your understanding in this matter and further updates will be made known as and when we decide future arrangements 

Elaine Cliff

• Sad 2

RIP Olive. I first encountered the Anchor in the mid 60s, when Graham Palmer and John Dodwell used to travel north to help with the restoration of the Stourbridge 16, they used to stay with my family on Saturday evenings. On one of these, we piled into John’s Morris traveller, along with OS map and drove to deepest Shropshire to find the pub. Lily Pascall served us, descending to the cellar to fill 3 pint glasses from a tall, white, enamel,jug. Little changed many years later....

Yes, sad and the passing of an era indeed.

I always thought you lot calling her Olive was a little disrespectful as , being quite local, I'd been visiting

the Anchor since my teens and I always knew her as Mrs Cliff and never called her anything else.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Yes, sad and the passing of an era indeed.

I always thought you lot calling her Olive was a little disrespectful as , being quite local, I'd been visiting

the Anchor since my teens and I always knew her as Mrs Cliff and never called her anything else.

I’m very sad we couldn’t partake of a pint or 3 last year…we always had the first pint as she opened onboard with dinner then a few more in the pub chatting about anything & everything with the pair of them…

I'm glad to hear it will be reopening. We dropped in last summer between lockdowns. There was one other couple in there who left just after we arrived, and the pub only stayed open because we were there - Olive bolted the door behind us when we left. I noticed the campsite was completely empty, and I feared that with a combination of her increasing years, the pandemic and the general trend of pub closures, The Anchor would be a private house next time I pass.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I'm glad to hear it will be reopening. We dropped in last summer between lockdowns. There was one other couple in there who left just after we arrived, and the pub only stayed open because we were there - Olive bolted the door behind us when we left. I noticed the campsite was completely empty, and I feared that with a combination of her increasing years, the pandemic and the general trend of pub closures, The Anchor would be a private house next time I pass.

I truly hope it doesn’t close. I love everything about it. Apparently some people don’t share my views and I just can’t understand why. It’s the most perfect pub…it may hark back to simpler times but that’s no bad thing I reckon. 

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, John Wareing said:

The beer has never been very special but I am always prepared to overlook that on a visit to The Anchor because everything else is just right.

I never had a poor pint of 6X there….and I’ve had plenty in other pubs! 

• Greenie 2

On 30/04/2021 at 01:09, frangar said:

I never had a poor pint of 6X there….and I’ve had plenty in other pubs! 

My drinking group used to say that 6X was a beer that didn't travel well, sadly this was also the case once when we were drinking in the Brewery Tap!

RIP Olive/Mrs Cliff.  Had many good sessions in the bar over time and heading back that way in June, will personal condolences.

In past times it was 6X and Pedigree, both kept well and served from below in a jug.  Many a bad head!!

• 1 year later...

Lucky you 👍

My favourite too. 
And I hope to frequent a bit more regular,

now I ain’t up North. 

Yea, sadly Mal has moved on elsewhere. 
But there are now a new set of moorers opposite and down a bit, giving the place a fresh breath. 

Hit it just right and the music is ace. 

Enjoy. 

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Lucky you 👍

My favourite too. 
And I hope to frequent a bit more regular,

now I ain’t up North. 

Yea, sadly Mal has moved on elsewhere. 
But there are now a new set of moorers opposite and down a bit, giving the place a fresh breath. 

Hit it just right and the music is ace. 

Enjoy. 

It’s nicely busy tonight. Lovely to see and long may it continue…be rude to move on tomorrow I think….

• Happy 2