Canals are Waterways Not Playways

David Mack

Featured Posts

The background to my search is in this thread.

As to post boxes, an early lockdown activity last year was to photograph all the ones within dog-walking distance of home. Haven't got round to putting them online yet though.☹️

Here's one, now in the front wall of a private house.20200417_103831.jpg.71a50d833e126021d7a3527fa08e4d08.jpg

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

As to post boxes, an early lockdown activity last year was to photograph all the ones within dog-walking distance of home. Haven't got round to putting them online yet though.☹️

Here's one, now in the front wall of a private house.20200417_103831.jpg.71a50d833e126021d7a3527fa08e4d08.jpg

Edward VII - identical to our local post box, set into a dry stone dyke at the bottom of the road - except for the collection times, which would be very optimistic round here!

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Edward VII - identical to our local post box, set into a dry stone dyke at the bottom of the road 

I've noticed that the former post office in March, now I think a Royal Mail distribution depot, has an Edward VIII sign over its door. This can't be very common; I expect it was first opened during 1936 or 1937. I'm not sure if it has a matching posting box.

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've noticed that the former post office in March, now I think a Royal Mail distribution depot, has an Edward VIII sign over its door. This can't be very common; I expect it was first opened during 1936 or 1937. I'm not sure if it has a matching posting box.

There are a very few Edward VIII post boxes, I've seen one in Welshpool - there were a limited number cast and a token effort was made to rebadge them - when you add that to fact that post boxes don't last forever (although some last an astonishingly long time) it's perhaps not surprising they are few and far between

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

There are a very few Edward VIII post boxes, I've seen one in Welshpool - there were a limited number cast and a token effort was made to rebadge them - when you add that to fact that post boxes don't last forever (although some last an astonishingly long time) it's perhaps not surprising they are few and far between

http://inamidst.com/topic/edwardboxes

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Did you know that if the box is on your own property, you can paint it any colour you want? There is, or used to be, a dark blue box in the garden of a house in Emsworth.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Thank you - you are my new best friend :) 

(and possibly responsible for a mad adventure to see some of them!)

I have checked and the March sorting office has a relatively modern posting box outside (one of those oval two-cylinder ones) which I assume has replaced the original. But here's the coat of arms/ escutcheon/ whatever it's called above the front door.

March_Post_Office_King_Ted_VIII.jpg

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I have checked and the March sorting office has a relatively modern posting box outside (one of those oval two-cylinder ones) which I assume has replaced the original. But here's the coat of arms/ escutcheon/ whatever it's called above the front door.

March_Post_Office_King_Ted_VIII.jpg

That's rather splendid - good reason to visit March! (Well, to me it is!)

Yes, the oval double slot ones are a more recent innovation at high traffic loactions, originally intended that each slot would have a different purpose, either First/Second Class or Local/National, but now they're just big post boxes. 

The need for bigger post boxes is why most older ones disappear - the basic pillar box is alomost literally bomb-proof. Occasionally they become redundant if an area is redeveloped. The old ones are often reused which can give the historian a bit of a puzzle if one finds a George V box within a new shopping development for example

• 2 weeks later...