Bridgewater Canal mooring restrictions at Castlefield

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Moorings are restricted next week - Monday 3rd May to Monday 10th May as filming for Peaky Blinders is taking place.

No engine or generator running while filming takes place.

After filming some arms remain closed until Monday 10th May when they will reopen as a visitor only mooring location.

It would be useful if a Bridgewater forum member could post the full notice as there is more information available.

Notice is hereby given that due to the filming of Peaky Blinders in the Arena area, which has been authorised by Manchester City Council, mooring restrictions will be applied in the Staffordshire Arms, Kenworthy Arms and Potato Wharf in Castlefield from 3rd- 6th May 2021 and visitors will not be permitted.

All boats that are moored in Castlefield are requested not to run their engines/generators whilst filming takes place. Crew members may ask boaters to turn off their generators or any other reasonable requests if there are any disruptions to filming, we politely ask that boaters comply with these requests.

We ask that all boaters currently moored in the Staffordshire Arms, Kenworthy Arms and Potato Wharf move their boats from these locations whilst filming takes place.

After filming has ended, this area will remain closed until 10th May 2021 when it will reopen as a 72-hour, visitor only mooring location.

Any Bridgewater Canal or Canal and River Trust licenced boaters that plan to visit Castlefield after the 10th May should moor in the Staffordshire Arms, all other mooring spaces in Castlefield will be reserved for boaters registered at this site.

Thank you for your cooperation,

The Bridgewater Canal Company Ltd

22 minutes ago, Detling said:

Maybe a map may help I don't know the names of the arms and can't find them on my maps

Particularly as the whole of Castlefield is out of bounds to visitors, except for The Staffordshire Arm, (wherever/whatever that is?), once the filming restrictions are lifted.

I am a Bridgewater boater and must admit that I do not know the names of the arms.

It seems to me that as you approach Castlefield on the Bridgewater Canal the arm on the right is reserved for long term moorings so visitors must use the other arms.

There is a plan of the site on the canalplan website but even that is not clear.

This basically means there’s no longer any decent visitor moorings in Castlefield. The ones that are left are by the arena/youth hostel and therefore noisy from the trains/trams plus the yoof that hang around that area. Shame….I’ll be taking my money elsewhere from now rather than spending it in Manchester. 

7 minutes ago, rgreg said:

On the last couple of occasions that I have been in Manchester mooring has been a struggle at Castlefield. It looks like it is set to get worse with the new restrictions. Here is a photo of the Staffordshire Arm:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3984651

There's two of them actually. We used to call them the tuning fork arms.

You can also moor on the towpath above Dukes Lock, which is CRT waters rather than Bridgewater Co.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There's two of them actually. We used to call them the tuning fork arms.

You can also moor on the towpath above Dukes Lock, which is CRT waters rather than Bridgewater Co.

Yes, they can both be seen on the photo that I linked. I have moored against the high wall on the junction to the basins; it's not ideal but possible. Perhaps that will be out of bounds under the revised rules.

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Yes, they can both be seen on the photo that I linked. I have moored against the high wall on the junction to the basins; it's not ideal but possible. Perhaps that will be out of bounds under the revised rules.

I’m guessing the building is the YMCA? We’ve moored alongside that a couple of times in the past, but haven’t been for a while since it became Castlefield Marina, despite it only being 4 miles from our mooring.

There is no way I want to get there, ready for a bite to eat in the Big City, only to find nowhere to park.

44 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I’m guessing the building is the YMCA? We’ve moored alongside that a couple of times in the past, but haven’t been for a while since it became Castlefield Marina, despite it only being 4 miles from our mooring.

There is no way I want to get there, ready for a bite to eat in the Big City, only to find nowhere to park.

We had a job finding a space last time we visited, ended up on the main basin next to the car park. Had one hell of a job turning the boat round (the long one) due to silt -- and those bloody spotlights shone through the curtains all night... ?

IMG_20190905_194541.jpg

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

From Google Maps:

Screenshot_20210430-183402_Maps.jpg