Gas fridge flue

Kalapattar

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Hi all! I’m just wondering why my exhaust flue on a Dometic refrigerator is in parts? Is this just for flexibility? Should I tape them together to make it more secure because the joins are all very loose? Ta!

I didn't realise that Dometic still made gas fridges,

Is it 3-way (230v, 12v and gas) ?

Is it absoption or compressor ?

7 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

there is some stuff on installing one here, note a small (self tapping type screw I think) secures the top part. http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/articles/FridgeInstall.htm

Being a boat I think you have to ignore the bit about cutting a hole in the floor to let any gas escape leave the vehicle.

Ok, thanks for your post! It looks like flue parts are for flexibility! 

Ahhhh ................. thats look like the old Electrolux vent kit.

Whatever you do do not try and run it on 12 unless your engine is running, it will kill the batteries in a matter of a few hours.

The instruction to caravanners was, if you stopped in the motorway services, to switch of the fridge or they wouldn't be able to start the car after half an hour or so.

The idea was that you would plug the caravan into the 230v overnight before you left home, when it was down to temperature the next morning you could set off towing it plugged into the 12v, (whilst the engine was running) on arrival at the campsite you IMMEDIATELY changed over to gas, or plugged it into the 230v mains.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It's an absorption fridge.

Just to point out that Dometic made a balance flue fridge specially for boats with the vent in the roof. I can't see anything that identifies it as the balance flue version or the side exit one those flue kits are for.

2 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Ok, well the flue is positioned to exhaust out of the side behind fridge! I’m just thinking of taping parts together for more of a secure fit

Then that answers which fridge it is. Remember that hot gasses pass along the flue so whatever tape you use needs to allow for that. I expect aluminium tape would do but I think. I would use a short self tapper in each joint.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Then that answers which fridge it is. Remember that hot gasses pass along the flue so whatever tape you use needs to allow for that. I expect aluminium tape would do but I think. I would use a short self tapper in each joint.

Hi! I’m going to use aluminium tape. I’m just wondering why parts are loosely connected 

Just now, Kalapattar said:

Hi! I’m going to use aluminium tape. I’m just wondering why parts are loosely connected 

On the Electrolux version there were on;y three parts. A sort of drunken T piece that pushed down on top of the fridge flue and  a long pipe that slotted into the "hull plate" so not much room for play but they were certainly not tight as such.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

On the Electrolux version there were on;y three parts. A sort of drunken T piece that pushed down on top of the fridge flue and  a long pipe that slotted into the "hull plate" so not much room for play but they were certainly not tight as such.

Ok, loosely fitted to prevent rain or condensation running back down to burner perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Lots of the flues on these gas fridges were never fitted, crazily venting straight into the cabin. They were never approved for boats by the manufacturers either!

Ok, I have a recess in the gunwhale that sits a vent hole and cover presumably for such a flue! 

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Lots of the flues on these gas fridges were never fitted, crazily venting straight into the cabin. They were never approved for boats by the manufacturers either!

And, I beleive that even today the are not allowed to be used on Petrol engined boats due to the explosion risk of a flame low down at floor level.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, I beleive that even today the are not allowed to be used on Petrol engined boats due to the explosion risk of a flame low down at floor level.

Ok, well mine is diesel powered 

2 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Ok, well mine is diesel powered 

I have a petrol generator!

• Happy 1

On 28/04/2021 at 18:43, Kalapattar said:

Ok, I have a recess in the gunwhale that sits a vent hole and cover presumably for such a flue! 

Make sure it's kept clean and doesn't restrict the flue gases otherwise you're better off not using it and just venting into the boat. If it becomes blocked back pressures will build up and you may get much higher levels of CO in the boat because the flame isn't burning correctly. If you look at the open back of the slanted T piece on the flue kit I think you'll realise that gas tightness isn't an issue.

On 28/04/2021 at 18:37, Tracy D'arth said:

It's not really that crazy. It's a very small flame.

No more crazy than an unflued gas hob. You put more CO into your boat every time you light the hob to put the kettle on or cook something. 

My gas fridge flue isn't vented outside and has been inspected several times without failing. It's never set of any of my CO alarms.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Kalapattar said:

Yes, gases rise out, and I think the connections are loose to help prevent forced gusts of air extinguishing the pilot flame

That's what the open back of the slanted T is for.

I would say leave the parts separate for ease of taking off and inspecting/cleaning.

Edited by blackrose

Ok! Well Ive taped with aluminium foil the connections to make them more secure 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Do not forget that you will have to take the flu apart occasionally to clean out the cobwebs. If you don't the fridge stops working

Yes I clean the flue and flame jet every now and then

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It won't matter soon, you will have no gas to run the fridge.

So all those running gas water heaters and fridges will be stuffed.  Back to good old engine running, the status quo.

Sorry I must have missed it, but what's the problem with LPG supplies?

Presumably all those running gas hobs and ovens will be stuffed too?

Edited by blackrose