Bent prop

Detling

Featured Posts

When I moored the other day I had noticed the boat behaving oddly. Today I decided to brave the weed hatch and the cold water, whilst removing the polythene sheet and the thin cutting wire I was able to see that the prop blades are not exactly the same. One is 2cm from the rear edge of the hatch and the other 2 blades are 3cm away. This was visible due to sun over my shoulder and clean water, and time,  conditions I have never had on my previous trips down the weed hatch. The boats tiller has had a small vibration in the 6 years since I bought it.

So how do I get this fixed, is it possible to get the prop straightened? As the leading edges are not smooth any more, several nicks, will it be cheaper to get a new prop.?  How can I find out what size propeller I have without taking the boat out of the water.? 

1 minute ago, Detling said:

When I moored the other day I had noticed the boat behaving oddly. Today I decided to brave the weed hatch and the cold water, whilst removing the polythene sheet and the thin cutting wire I was able to see that the prop blades are not exactly the same. One is 2cm from the rear edge of the hatch and the other 2 blades are 3cm away. This was visible due to sun over my shoulder and clean water, and time,  conditions I have never had on my previous trips down the weed hatch. The boats tiller has had a small vibration in the 6 years since I bought it.

So how do I get this fixed, is it possible to get the prop straightened? As the leading edges are not smooth any more, several nicks, will it be cheaper to get a new prop.?  How can I find out what size propeller I have without taking the boat out of the water.? 

Yes it is but the prop will have to come off. We sent ours to Steel developments but there are several other prop refurbishes. They will sort it all but as good as new.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes it is but the prop will have to come off. We sent ours to Steel developments but there are several other prop refurbishes. They will sort it all but as good as new.

So how long does the return take as even one day in a dry dock is not cheap and with no prop you can't really move it out and back 

The diameter and pitch should be engraved near the central boss.

You will not be able to do anything with it still on the shaft.

Better to get it fettled, good new props are expensive. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap one, they can make noises that will drive you mad. Its a shame that Crowthers have closed down, they were really good.

• Greenie 1

I don't know nowadays. I am sure someone on here says they have taken a prop off and refitted it in the water. I would not use a dry dock, I would use a slipway and only pull the back out, take the prop off, put the boat back in until the pro was back.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

So how long does the return take as even one day in a dry dock is not cheap and with no prop you can't really move it out and back 

Is your blacking due ? If it is, get it done at the same time.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Detling said:

Thanks sounds like a good winter job. Find a boatyard with over winter moorings and a slipway, 

Red Bull on the bottom end of the Macclesfield Canal, has a slipway.

Kings Lock at Middlewich has a slipway up the arm.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't know nowadays. I am sure someone on here says they have taken a prop off and refitted it in the water. I would not use a dry dock, I would use a slipway and only pull the back out, take the prop off, put the boat back in until the pro was back.

@Biggles did it but he has a good size hatch

I have also done it.  It is easiest if you are able to drop the rudder out so the prop and shaft can come out backwards together (with a temporary shaft filling the stern tube).  Separating a prop from the tail shaft underwater is not easy.  Getting it all back together is even worse.

N

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

@Biggles did it but he has a good size hatch

I did it wasn't too bad and I had a great prop puller. My top tip would be to tie all tools parts removed including the prop something so when (not if) you drop it it's not lost. 

I've also done it out of water. It's 500% easier! 

My prop will come off without fouling the rudder. 

• Greenie 1