Boat Insurance

The Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

I appreciate this is probably a recurring topic, but I'm interested in what is going on right now.  

It's that time of year for me and as my insurance renewal cost has gone up for no reason I'm looking for a new insurer, or at least to discover whether everyone is in the same boat (so to speak).

Please let me know your preferred insurer, whether the cost has gone up or down this year and what experience you have had in the event of a claim.

Thanks in advance.

I've used GJW for several years and find that the premium hovers between about £100 and £140, and could go up or down with no rhyme nor reason. If it has gone above £140, (which is my personal limit before shopping around), I have called them, and they have made things right for me. One year I asked if increasing my excess would reduce the premium, and they reduced the premium but didn't increase the excess.

If I had been bothered to call them every year, I could probably have saved more in premiums but, as they suit me, and while they suit me, I just pay up and get on with life :)

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

I appreciate this is probably a recurring topic, but I'm interested in what is going on right now.  

It's that time of year for me and as my insurance renewal cost has gone up for no reason I'm looking for a new insurer, or at least to discover whether everyone is in the same boat (so to speak).

Please let me know your preferred insurer, whether the cost has gone up or down this year and what experience you have had in the event of a claim.

Thanks in advance.

I've used Nautical insurance based in Leigh on Sea for many years. No claims, cost always the same give or take a couple of quid. Then I had a claim. I hit something underwater and bent a blade on my prop. Two dockings (prop on/ prop off) and the straightening cost £800 odd quid. Insurance paid up straight away with no quibbling. When the renewal notice came (which I was very apprehensive about, I must say) my premium had gone up a fiver.  Excellent company, highly recommended.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Used Craftinsure for years, never claimed.

Me also. Been with them for 11 years.

Have just submitted my first ever claim (engine bay flooded).

They haven't said yes or no yet, but when they do I will let you know my experience.

• Greenie 1

For 20 years or so I was insured with Saga but some years ago the cost started to increase for no obvious reason. Looking around I came across Insure4boats.  Their website is straightforward and takes seconds to complete with an on screen price. Obviously the real test would be in the event of a claim but fortunately I've not needed to.

We are with Towergate. It's our first year with a narrowboat but they were happy to insure us at a reasonable price because my hubby has done lots of lumpy sailing and yachting. Will see what the renewal is and shop around for the best price. 

11 hours ago, Slim said:

For 20 years or so I was insured with Saga...

We’ve been with Saga for 7 years, but no claim.

Just been advised by them that due to some sort of kerfuffle with Lloyds they are no longer going to do boat insurance.

So I’m interested in this thread as come my renewal in November I’ll need another option.

19 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Thanks in advance.

Have you spoken to the company?

We get this every year, from home as well as boat insurance providers. As soon as the letter arrives I telephone the company and ask for an explanation for their price rise, as I have not made any claims.

They generally say something like "I'll speak to the underwriters", then phone back and offer us the same rate as last year, or occasionally slightly lower.

I may be cynical, but I suspect that some of their customers pay by direct debit, so the company relies on their not noticing any increase. So, pick up telephone, speak to real human being, and see if it helps.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

We get this every year, from home as well as boat insurance providers. As soon as the letter arrives I telephone the company and ask for an explanation for their price rise, as I have not made any claims.

They generally say something like "I'll speak to the underwriters", then phone back and offer us the same rate as last year, or occasionally slightly lower.

I may be cynical, but I suspect that some of their customers pay by direct debit, so the company relies on their not noticing any increase. So, pick up telephone, speak to real human being, and see if it helps.

I have never had to do this with Craftinsure, the quote is always the same, no silly increases.

Unlike our car insurance with Hastings which gets re-negotiated every year as you say from the daft renewal quote to a sensible figure lower than the on line new customer quote!

!

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have never had to do this with Craftinsure, the quote is always the same, no silly increases.

Unlike our car insurance with Hastings which gets re-negotiated every year as you say from the daft renewal quote to a sensible figure lower than the on line new customer quote!

!

We too are now with Craftinsure, but haven't been with them for long enough to comment about their renewal policy.

You did remind my, however, to phone them and let them know that I've changed my e-mail address, so thanks!

4 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Well craft insure are £100 cheaper so I will probably go with them.  Thanks for all the replies folks.

GJW  were cheaper then Craftinsure for me when i just had a quote done

3rd party for me, Basic Boat Co. Plus bronze RCR. Neither has gone up much in ten years. RCR paid towards two gearbox rebuilds and replaced the starter. Never had an insurance claim in thirty years, always seen insurance as much a waste of money as surveyors.

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some people will go to any length to save a tenner on insurance

Everyone has their own view but I object to being conned or treated like a fool. Only last week I received my renewals for both the car and the boat. (different companies). The car was £750. When I phoned and asked why it had gone up by £90 it took the individual about two seconds to reply that he could offer it for £704!  Two seconds and a couple of keystrokes!. The boat insurance came in at £150. A couple of minutes on line, no more, and the same company, same cover, £130.

While I'm having my morning rant. Why is it that insurance companies always attempt to auto renew when you have specifically stated that you don't want this 'service'. It happened on both the above insurances and I know for a fact that I instructed both companies to delete it. 

I feel better after that. ☺️

• Greenie 3

On 28/04/2021 at 11:11, Athy said:

I've just had renewal from CraftInsure, they reduced the DD (as they did previous year). I had increased my insured valuation due to boom prices, during the year, and due to timing, I paid two months subs on one day. Even though I was liable in T&Cs, they refunded one. All in all, an easy company to deal with, emails, no phone calls to a call centre. CRT take note.

Edited by LadyG

If I get an insurance renewal and it has gone up for no obvious reason, I use one of the compare sites and pick the insurer which gives me the cover I need at a reasonable price. When I then contact the old company and tell them I am not renewing, the answer is invariably "we could give you insurance at a cheaper price". My answer, is "if you can do that now, why did you not offer that in the first place? Goodbye". I NEVER renew if they drop their price in that situation. 

I don't have this problem with Collidge (both boats insured with them) and they usually offer a slightly cheaper price anyway. My car is with Esure and amazingly this is the 3rd year with them as they have never increased their price and they give me the cover I need. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

On 28/04/2021 at 19:39, Arthur Marshall said:

3rd party for me, Basic Boat Co. Plus bronze RCR. Neither has gone up much in ten years. RCR paid towards two gearbox rebuilds and replaced the starter. Never had an insurance claim in thirty years, always seen insurance as much a waste of money as surveyors.

I'm veering towards your attitude, Arthur.  I've been with Saga for several years, with nary a premium increase, but as has been said, I will have to find another insurer next year.  One of the advantages of Saga is that they didn't require an up to date survey on old boats (although I've had two hull surveys done when out of the water) and there doesn't seem to be another company with the same policy.

• 9 months later...
On 27/04/2021 at 22:48, MrsM said:

We are with Towergate. It's our first year with a narrowboat but they were happy to insure us at a reasonable price because my hubby has done lots of lumpy sailing and yachting.

We also use Towergate and this year our cost had gone down £50 at renewal to around £400. Which includes cover for having the steam plant. 

20 minutes ago, DHutch said:

We also use Towergate and this year our cost had gone down £50 at renewal to around £400. Which includes cover for having the steam plant. 

You've been luckier than owners of older boats. Towergate used to run the historic boat insurance scheme first set up by Michael Stimpson in the 80s/90s. But a year or two back they stopped covering boats over 50 years old, and the owners have had to seek cover elsewhere.