Aylesbury murder investigation launched after man found dead by Grand Union Canal

bigcol

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Think the checker I spoke to today was a bit shook up by it and understandably so. They are just guys doing a job...the rules are as few as they are are easy to comply with....certainly not worth killing someone over. It’s no wonder part of the new licence t & c are about threats etc towards staff. The perpetrator best feel the full weight of the law. It’s a sad day when CRT staff need bodycams and stab vests. 

Disrespecting authority or anybody tasked with ensuring rules are complied with has sadly become a national sport fuelled by likes on Facebook and YouTube.

Its inevitable that things escalate to this sort of incident.

My granddaughter is seven years old this year, I despair for the type of society she will be living in in her 30's and 40's.

From the MJG post earlier on 

Screenshot_2021-04-27-23-26-45-640_com.android.chrome.png.49b031b1403fd630b4f7cf93011daab8.png

What's going on here with the outboard motor powerhead? 

Did it get used as a mooring land anchor?

Very bizarre set of pictures. It looks like it's the whole top half of the outboard not just the lid which goes over it. 

At some stage someone put it back on the boat for some reason. It must be quite heavy .

Other boat looks a bit like a Fairline 19 with an imaginative addition to the topsides. 

Edited by magnetman

I notice that the diesel outboard is on the welldeck in the pictures.  It wasn't when the boat came past @matty40s last week.  I do hope this isn't an argument about a £200 discount for an electric powered boat.

I'd pay much more than that for a life ...

20 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It looks like it's the whole top half of the outboard not just the lid which goes over it. 

No, it's the whole diesel outboard lying in the welldeck.  I couldn't lift it there on my own ...

It also seems to be unrelated to overstaying on a mooring. 

Maybe just a random nutter objecting to someone recording boat details ? 

Must say I always thought of the data collector job as rather high risk and "you would want to know how to swim". 

Or it might be unrelated to boats but me thinks it is related to boats. 

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, it's the whole diesel outboard lying in the welldeck.  I couldn't lift it there on my own ...

Edit so they have to seperate the two halves of the unit to lift it? 

Oh yes good point about the electric boat but does anyone actually police that sort of thing ?

What I was getting at was that the powerhead had been removed from the towpath and placed in the well deck area during the police operation on site. 

Edited by magnetman

ETA I see they moved it up to the next bollard. Boat and associated equipment is presumably not part of the crime scene then. 

I was getting carried away and wondering if the assailant had hurled the outboard motor powerhead forcefully at the victim. 

I think this is where it is appropriate to stop commenting. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

How sad. That should not happen to anybody just doing their job. 

Our dealings with CART staff, were all positive, some exceptionally so, especially organising trucking our boat in and out of Aylesbury past the broken lock in 2013.

So close to this tragedy.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I notice that the diesel outboard is on the welldeck in the pictures.  It wasn't when the boat came past @matty40s last week.  I do hope this isn't an argument about a £200 discount for an electric powered boat.

I'd pay much more than that for a life ...

When we passed them, the massive outboard was what was powering the boat.  Despite it’s size they were moving extremely slowly.

Does anyone else here get a tiny shudder of recognition about this, when they remember series seven of the detective series Endeavour?

In the story, the murders were carried out at Stockers Lock (number 82) and between Church Lock (29) and Bridge 116 on the GU

max.png.dedc4db2cf6b4f479f133e9954dc2424.png

It does make me reflect on the Gifford park thread I started, due to a confrontation

with the homeowner with his stretch of digging along the canal. 

And the CRT checker who we fell out big over looking into our boat window

telling us that our licence print outs were forged. Lots of heated argument followed.

informing  me that all us boaters were, I think he said low life

and going off on one a boat further up, with a beer can left on the roof lol

it was all reported to CRT, indeed crt came down and were very quick in responding to these problems.

but yes, by the grace of god, go I

Edited by bigcol

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

Does anyone else here get a tiny shudder of recognition about this, when they remember series seven of the detective series Endeavour?

In the story, the murders were carried out at Stockers Lock (number 82) and between Church Lock (29) and Bridge 116 on the GU

max.png.dedc4db2cf6b4f479f133e9954dc2424.png

I was moored at Church when I saw that episode on the telly. Was a bit eerie!

That barmaid had a long walk home from her job in Oxford I must say.

Victim's name has been released:

A message from Richard Parry, chief executive.
Clive Porter 1958 – 2021
Following the very distressing news that I shared earlier this week, I am now able to identify our colleague, whose life was taken on the towpath on Monday.
Clive Porter was a Licensing Ranger with the Trust. He had worked on the waterways since 2010 when he joined us on his retirement from the police force after more than 30 years, his final role being as the local police officer at Tring, joining the South East waterways team to continue to serve his local community.
A devoted family man, Clive went quietly about his work diligently and conscientiously. You would rarely see Clive in one of our offices because he loved being outdoors, and the towpath was his natural workplace where he would be, come rain or shine.
Even if you didn’t know Clive, I imagine all of us will recognise the type of person he was. Reliable, steadfast, unassuming but entirely trustworthy. Doing his job with little fuss and with a calm, friendly manner. He was respected by colleagues and by all those who met him, someone who believed firmly in his mission to support others.
Clive was a role model for us all, and he will be very sadly missed. The loss we face will be a small fraction of the loss that his family will bear and our hearts go out to them. Even though he has been taken from us in this brutal, pointless attack, he will always remain a part of the South East waterways that he gave so much to.
  • Sad 3

When you consider how many idiots and thugs he must have encountered in 30 years as a copper its somehow ironic he met his maker working for CRT.

RIP.

43 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes it just reminds us that it's just not worth arguing with people you don't know. We've no idea what happened in this case of course and the attack may have been completely unprovoked. But as a general rule avoid confrontation. It's better to just walk away even if you're right and even if that means losing face. Stay safe.

This reminds of what could have happen to 'Maureen' the lady of  Marmont Priory Lock last August, When she was attacked by a Loony with a knife  when she asked him to share the lock with one of Foxes Hireboats. Five police cars turned up, but no action was take as he claimed to be a 'traveller' and the Norfolk police have a hands off policy when it comes to travellers. After this attack, Maureen and her family no longer work the lock, who can blame them after inaction by the Norfolk police.  

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

37 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

“Even though he has been taken from us in this brutal, pointless attack”

Maybe this sentence above should have been left out until the police have charged someone and the facts are made public.

Which of those words has not already been covered by police statements?

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Which of those words has not already been covered by police statements?

The new trends we see recently tend to lean towards sensationalist headlines, and yes, I have noted the police comments on their tvp Twitter account. The fact is, nobody has yet been charged. Any comments on the case at this time should reflect that.

• Unimpressed 1

Lighten a little guys, people are dyeing all the time. Its bad when its at the hand of another but life is too short to be morose.

Black humour is how many cope with tragedy, particularly the folk exposed to it all the time like police, medics, soldiers. 

• Unimpressed 4