Aylesbury murder investigation launched after man found dead by Grand Union Canal

bigcol

Featured Posts

Sad news reported area bridge 14

man was found with serious injuries by the Grand Union Canal in Aylesbury at around lunchtime yesterday.

Members of the public contacted the force to report an assault on the Grand Union Canal near Broughton in Aylesbury at about 12.20pm yesterday. 

On attendance at the scene, police officers found a man with serious injuries. Despite the best efforts of paramedics and police officers, sadly the man died at the scene.

His next of kin has been informed and are being supported by Family Liaison Officers.Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Andy Shearwood, of the Thames Valley Police Major Crime Unit, said: “We need the public’s help to establish what happened on the canal path of the Grand Union Canal near Broughton in Aylesbury at about 12.20pm today.

We were called to an assault near to Bridge 14, where a man was found with serious injuries.

“The canal path is a very popular leisure route for walkers, runners and cyclists, especially on a sunny day like today. Therefore, I would appeal to anyone who was in the area, who saw or heard anything unusual to contact the force.

“The easiest way to contact us is by calling 101, or visiting our website, quoting investigation reference number 845 (26/4).

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.e16e4a38601f87b0119cf33d87f7d396.png

So it was actually a member of CRT staff or a volunteer.

Not good.

Interesting photo from the BBC website.

I think most on here will be familiar with the boat pictured.

Screenshot_20210427-104400_BBC News.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not good.

One could speculate but probably best not to.

Do you recognise the bows of that boat? I think I do. 

We came past about ten minutes after it happened yesterday, but didn’t see anything ourselves.  The boat in front had called the police.  The rumour was that it was a licence checker on a bike.  The canal is still closed at the moment.

33 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not good.

It does seem somewhat extraordinary that a CRT employee is killed in an 'incident' and this extremely well known boat is right next to it.

10 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Sad reading.

For us newbies, what is the significance of the boat pictured? I assume there's some 'history'?

It's been the subject of numerous threads.  Here's an example: 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Sad reading.

For us newbies, what is the significance of the boat pictured? I assume there's some 'history'?

It's featured in a number of posts over the years, notably originally when it was on eBay for a ridiculous asking price.

It's also a very poor design aesthetically and practically (Harmful to locks because of the bow design, very narrow gunwales etc etc).

Others may remember additional reasons for it featuring on here.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

It's featured in a number of posts over the years, notably originally when it was on eBay for a ridiculous asking price.

It's also a very poor design aesthetically and practically (Harmful to locks because of the bow design, very narrow gunwales etc etc).

Others may remember additional reasons for it featuring on here.

Also the seller was kinda aggressive, but in an unintentionally funny way.  She was certainly memorable.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

The boat in front had called the police.

Was "The Eastern European Boat" the 'one in front', and was the incident actually at the scrap-yard boat with the garden shed and the corrugated roof ?

The cones could be by the bow of the rear boat, or the stern of the front boat.

It really is a sad day for society when folk apparently doing their job are attacked.

• Greenie 2

From the BBC.

A woman was arrested in connection with the incident and remains in police custody.

Police say they are also trying to find a man who was at the scene.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was "The Eastern European Boat" the 'one in front', and was the incident actually at the scrap-yard boat with the garden shed and the corrugated roof ?

It really is a sad day for society when folk apparently doing their job are attacked.

No, I meant the boat travelling in front of us called the police. The Eastern European boat had a man on board, the one behind appeared to be empty.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that is probably the case. Quite a bit of foreshortening in that picture.

However you can just see a No 1 cone in the grass that looks much closer to the front boat. Maybe that is where the incident started.

What is the world coming to. 

Edited by booke23

Just now, adam1uk said:

No, I meant the boat travelling in front of us called the police. The Eastern European boat had a man on board, the one behind appeared to be empty.

Thankyou. it wasn't clear when there is a picture of two boats and the statement 'the one in front callled the Police'.

Now understand, it was a passing boat that called them.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Apologies if I implied a connection.  I was just amazed by the coincidence.

Not specifically aimed at anyone: I was responding to a report which we've received. But thank you anyway.

1 hour ago, adam1uk said:

Latest info is that a man was arrested the early hours on suspicion of murder.  The woman was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

The report says it a 41 year old woman from Birmingham....given the boat in the picture I wonder if it might be the person that posted on here? 

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

The report says it a 41 year old woman from Birmingham....given the boat in the picture I wonder if it might be the person that posted on here? 

We passed the boat pictured, the one we know from previous threads, about 3 weeks ago at Stockton.  There was a man and woman on board, and based in the conversation I had with them to explain that Calcutt top lock was broken, they were of Eastern European origin.

• Greenie 1