What amp battery charger to run a 12v fridge?

Herdwick

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It does that whenever you discharge a LA battery to whatever level, even just 5% discharged, if you don't recharge it ASAP. it's the sulphation we keep on about. The longer its left discharged and the deeper the discharge the worse the degree of sulphation.

In my experience it is the time left between discharging and recharging thst determines how difficult the sulphate is to convert.

At the dawn of my career we used to subject the large open cell telephone exchange batteries (see photo below) to a "conditioning cycle" every 2 years to determine capacity. This involved discharging a fully charged battery to a load bank at the 10 hour rate and cell voltage readings taken periodically. The load bank was adjusted every 30 minutes to allow for the falling battery voltage. When the first cell reached 1.80 volts a cadmium electrode (which is electro-negative to the negative plate and used to assess capacity distribution) was used at each voltage reading. As soon as the first cell reached 1.75 volts the battery was disconnected from the load bank and fully recharged.

These batteries used to last 25-30 years, at which point capacity would be around 80% of original capacity.

However batteries these days are built down to a price rather than up to a standard.

Chloride_Electrical_Storage_1921CJ.jpg

47 minutes ago, cuthound said:

In my experience it is the time left between discharging and recharging thst determines how difficult the sulphate is to convert.

I fully agree with that which is why I said the deeper the discharge and the longer its left discharged the worse sulphation will be. Fully discharging under controlled conditions and then fully recharging gives a very deep discharge but for the least amount of time so any sulphation is the least it can be. I also suspect  those batteries spent about 98% of their time as full charged as possible.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I fully agree with that which is why I said the deeper the discharge and the longer its left discharged the worse sulphation will be. Fully discharging under controlled conditions and then fully recharging gives a very deep discharge but for the least amount of time so any sulphation is the least it can be. I also suspect  those batteries spent about 98% of their time as full charged as possible.

Indeed, between "conditioning cycles" they were on float all the time unless the mains failed and even then only discharged for 30 seconds unless the standby generators failed to start.