Jump to content

CRT East Midlands Annual Public Meeting Thursday 29th April


Featured Posts

Ive just learnt that there is a CRT Public Meeting for the East Midlands region on Thursday 29th April from 16.00-18.00. Ive only learnt of it through a tweet from the local council! If anyone else is interested then this is the eventbrite link which also has some more info and the agenda etc

 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/canal-river-trust-east-midlands-annual-public-meeting-registration-148232500399?ref=enivtefor001&invite=MjAzNzYzOTEvcC5raW5nQGhhcmJvcm91Z2guZ292LnVrLzA%3D &utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=inviteformalv2&utm_term=attend

 

Be nice if they had let their boating customers in the region know it was happening!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, matty40s said:

Tut, it's for the public , not boaters silly. 

As if we are allowed to be involved in Events and Attractions or Wellbeing.

Screenshot_20210426-171753_Chrome.jpg

 

 

 

Indeed...its not like we are paying customers or anything is it? Anyone may think that boaters arent important to CRT and they are more interested in towpath users and pretty signs....Its not even been mentioned as far as I can see on the CRT East Midlands twitter feed....I wonder if they'd rather keep it secret so they can push through any agenda they might like?

  • Horror 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What we didnt fix and what we expect will break next..

You think they know what will break?? That infers they have an inspection programme to know what state the assets are in....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In CRT's early days they held a number of local meetings around the country to which boaters were invited. I attended one in Leeds. Richard Parry and his team were there to spread the positive messages about the new organisation. The Leeds meeting generally went off well, apart from some abrupt questions from an older clearly well off gentleman who was asking when CRT were going to shift the boats near his mooring which weren't paying mooring fees but hadn't moved for ages, followed by some rather naive points made by a young hippyish newbie couple, who the older gentleman glared at throughout.

But I later heard (here?) that some of the later meetings elsewhere had been hijacked by NBTA types who were aggressively questioning anything and everything CRT said or did. Not surprising then that CRT concluded that these meetings were not helpful in improving communications with the mainstream majority of boaters, and so they fell by the wayside.

  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

In CRT's early days they held a number of local meetings around the country to which boaters were invited. I attended one in Leeds. Richard Parry and his team were there to spread the positive messages about the new organisation. The Leeds meeting generally went off well, apart from some abrupt questions from an older clearly well off gentleman who was asking when CRT were going to shift the boats near his mooring which weren't paying mooring fees but hadn't moved for ages, followed by some rather naive points made by a young hippyish newbie couple, who the older gentleman glared at throughout.

But I later heard (here?) that some of the later meetings elsewhere had been hijacked by NBTA types who were aggressively questioning anything and everything CRT said or did. Not surprising then that CRT concluded that these meetings were not helpful in improving communications with the mainstream majority of boaters, and so they fell by the wayside.

If they still go to the effort of running meetings unless they are just to keep the CRT board happy then they should publicise them...I agree that they can get a bit ranty but surely thats the point...they are for people to air their views which might not always be positive. Im beginning to miss BW which is something I thought I'd never say!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

In CRT's early days they held a number of local meetings around the country to which boaters were invited. I attended one in Leeds. Richard Parry and his team were there to spread the positive messages about the new organisation. The Leeds meeting generally went off well, apart from some abrupt questions from an older clearly well off gentleman who was asking when CRT were going to shift the boats near his mooring which weren't paying mooring fees but hadn't moved for ages, followed by some rather naive points made by a young hippyish newbie couple, who the older gentleman glared at throughout.

But I later heard (here?) that some of the later meetings elsewhere had been hijacked by NBTA types who were aggressively questioning anything and everything CRT said or did. Not surprising then that CRT concluded that these meetings were not helpful in improving communications with the mainstream majority of boaters, and so they fell by the wayside.


David,  one I went to in Birmingham degenerated into a slanging match between NBTA and IWA members. In the end the meeting was closed as neither side would come to order.

It was a shame as Mr. Joe Average boater had no chance to ask or have questions answered.

CRT started these meetings with good intent, but I not surprised they stopped them

Edited by Ray T
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

Have you asked CRT why it's not on the meetings calendar?

Ive asked CRT why they haven’t informed boaters or Twitter feed. I’ll put up on here if I hear more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Update from meeting

 

Well that was "interesting"...much talk of every user group apart from boaters...including the "street art" through nottingham,& Leicester and how towpaths are being "improved"...as well as the work going on at Stoke Bruene Museum....Im sure I heard the new lady in charge of visitor attractions in the East Midlands say that admission was going to be free...which the website confirms!

 

Myself and a couple of NABO members did try to redress the balance in the Q & A session pointing out that boaters used the canal too and towpath improvements arent always beneficial for the boater in many ways and that we help the local economy by spending money in the area...I also raised the the fact that the publicity for the meeting failed to reach many boaters despite us being one of the few directly paying customer groups...That was met by being told we are in effect subsided!!....I may have muttered outwardly then.... We are hopefully having a meeting with CRT area managers to talk about what boaters might want from moorings & facilities....with luck that might be productive and as ever I will report back to the forum

 

edited to add

 

There were approx 60 attendees...CRT were probably 10 of those. I was told that invites had gone out to 650 people....Im not sure who these were mind you! They said they will look how these meetings are publicised in future.

Edited by frangar
Added bits and corrected the free entry for museum
  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Update from meeting

 

Well that was "interesting"...much talk of every user group apart from boaters...including the "street art" through nottingham,& Leicester and how towpaths are being "improved"...as well as the work going on at Stoke Bruene Museum....Im sure I heard the new lady in charge of visitor attractions in the East Midlands say that admission was going to be free...which the website confirms!

 

Myself and a couple of NABO members did try to redress the balance in the Q & A session pointing out that boaters used the canal too and towpath improvements arent always beneficial for the boater in many ways and that we help the local economy by spending money in the area...I also raised the the fact that the publicity for the meeting failed to reach many boaters despite us being one of the few directly paying customer groups...That was met by being told we are in effect subsided!!....I may have muttered outwardly then.... We are hopefully having a meeting with CRT area managers to talk about what boaters might want from moorings & facilities....with luck that might be productive and as ever I will report back to the forum

 

edited to add

 

There were approx 60 attendees...CRT were probably 10 of those. I was told that invites had gone out to 650 people....Im not sure who these were mind you! They said they will look how these meetings are publicised in future.

 

I didn't get an answer as to what had happened to the Bolinder which used to be in the cafe before its revamp. :ninja:

Edited by Ray T
  • Horror 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

 

I didn't get an answer as to what had happened to the Bolinder which used to be in the cafe before its revamp. :ninja:

Oh that’s a worry. I’m a bit unsure of the new attractions person…..what did you think of the meeting??

Edited by frangar
Added a bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a look on CRT website and failed to find the meeting.

 I find the website far from intuitive, if I want to look at a map, it puts me into some kiddies thing, so now I know that first I have to look for stoppages, and trawl past reams of stuff about Covid.

If its a public meeting it should be open to all. I never got an invite.

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I had a look on CRT website and failed to find the meeting.

 I find the website far from intuitive, if I want to kook at a map, it puts me into some kidies thing, so now I know that firstbI have to look for stoppages, and trawl past reams of stuff about Covid.

Hence the link I provided for those interested ….…

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ray T said:

 

I didn't get an answer as to what had happened to the Bolinder which used to be in the cafe before its revamp. :ninja:

The Bolinder was outdated and couldnt produce a good Latte so was replaced with a 3 cylinder De Longhi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Update from meeting

 

Well that was "interesting"...much talk of every user group apart from boaters...including the "street art" through nottingham,& Leicester and how towpaths are being "improved"...as well as the work going on at Stoke Bruene Museum....Im sure I heard the new lady in charge of visitor attractions in the East Midlands say that admission was going to be free...which the website confirms!

 

Myself and a couple of NABO members did try to redress the balance in the Q & A session pointing out that boaters used the canal too and towpath improvements arent always beneficial for the boater in many ways and that we help the local economy by spending money in the area...I also raised the the fact that the publicity for the meeting failed to reach many boaters despite us being one of the few directly paying customer groups...That was met by being told we are in effect subsided!!....I may have muttered outwardly then.... We are hopefully having a meeting with CRT area managers to talk about what boaters might want from moorings & facilities....with luck that might be productive and as ever I will report back to the forum

 

edited to add

 

There were approx 60 attendees...CRT were probably 10 of those. I was told that invites had gone out to 650 people....Im not sure who these were mind you! They said they will look how these meetings are publicised in future.

 

Thanks @frangar. At least someone is trying to look after our interests.

  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Bolinder was outdated and couldnt produce a good Latte so was replaced with a 3 cylinder De Longhi.

Bolinder did make a meat mincer I think….not sure about a coffee machine but some in CRT probably thought that’s what it was…..

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Thanks @frangar. At least someone is trying to look after our interests.

I’m hopefully trying….some say very trying….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing the report of the  replies at the meeting makes me so glad I am no longer on cart waters, what a bunch......

Edited by Loddon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Hearing the report of the  replies at the meeting makes me so glad I am no longer on cart waters, what a bunch......

Trouble is some of us want to explore more of the country than just a barren drainage ditch! So we need to fight to keep what we have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.