CRT East Midlands Annual Public Meeting Thursday 29th April

frangar

Featured Posts

Ive just learnt that there is a CRT Public Meeting for the East Midlands region on Thursday 29th April from 16.00-18.00. Ive only learnt of it through a tweet from the local council! If anyone else is interested then this is the eventbrite link which also has some more info and the agenda etc

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/canal-river-trust-east-midlands-annual-public-meeting-registration-148232500399?ref=enivtefor001&invite=MjAzNzYzOTEvcC5raW5nQGhhcmJvcm91Z2guZ292LnVrLzA%3D &utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=inviteformalv2&utm_term=attend

Be nice if they had let their boating customers in the region know it was happening!

Just now, matty40s said:

Tut, it's for the public , not boaters silly. 

As if we are allowed to be involved in Events and Attractions or Wellbeing.

Screenshot_20210426-171753_Chrome.jpg

Indeed...its not like we are paying customers or anything is it? Anyone may think that boaters arent important to CRT and they are more interested in towpath users and pretty signs....Its not even been mentioned as far as I can see on the CRT East Midlands twitter feed....I wonder if they'd rather keep it secret so they can push through any agenda they might like?

• Horror 1

In CRT's early days they held a number of local meetings around the country to which boaters were invited. I attended one in Leeds. Richard Parry and his team were there to spread the positive messages about the new organisation. The Leeds meeting generally went off well, apart from some abrupt questions from an older clearly well off gentleman who was asking when CRT were going to shift the boats near his mooring which weren't paying mooring fees but hadn't moved for ages, followed by some rather naive points made by a young hippyish newbie couple, who the older gentleman glared at throughout.

But I later heard (here?) that some of the later meetings elsewhere had been hijacked by NBTA types who were aggressively questioning anything and everything CRT said or did. Not surprising then that CRT concluded that these meetings were not helpful in improving communications with the mainstream majority of boaters, and so they fell by the wayside.

• Greenie 3

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

In CRT's early days they held a number of local meetings around the country to which boaters were invited. I attended one in Leeds. Richard Parry and his team were there to spread the positive messages about the new organisation. The Leeds meeting generally went off well, apart from some abrupt questions from an older clearly well off gentleman who was asking when CRT were going to shift the boats near his mooring which weren't paying mooring fees but hadn't moved for ages, followed by some rather naive points made by a young hippyish newbie couple, who the older gentleman glared at throughout.

But I later heard (here?) that some of the later meetings elsewhere had been hijacked by NBTA types who were aggressively questioning anything and everything CRT said or did. Not surprising then that CRT concluded that these meetings were not helpful in improving communications with the mainstream majority of boaters, and so they fell by the wayside.

If they still go to the effort of running meetings unless they are just to keep the CRT board happy then they should publicise them...I agree that they can get a bit ranty but surely thats the point...they are for people to air their views which might not always be positive. Im beginning to miss BW which is something I thought I'd never say!

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

David,  one I went to in Birmingham degenerated into a slanging match between NBTA and IWA members. In the end the meeting was closed as neither side would come to order.

It was a shame as Mr. Joe Average boater had no chance to ask or have questions answered.

CRT started these meetings with good intent, but I not surprised they stopped them

Edited by Ray T

Update from meeting

Well that was "interesting"...much talk of every user group apart from boaters...including the "street art" through nottingham,& Leicester and how towpaths are being "improved"...as well as the work going on at Stoke Bruene Museum....Im sure I heard the new lady in charge of visitor attractions in the East Midlands say that admission was going to be free...which the website confirms!

Myself and a couple of NABO members did try to redress the balance in the Q & A session pointing out that boaters used the canal too and towpath improvements arent always beneficial for the boater in many ways and that we help the local economy by spending money in the area...I also raised the the fact that the publicity for the meeting failed to reach many boaters despite us being one of the few directly paying customer groups...That was met by being told we are in effect subsided!!....I may have muttered outwardly then.... We are hopefully having a meeting with CRT area managers to talk about what boaters might want from moorings & facilities....with luck that might be productive and as ever I will report back to the forum

edited to add

There were approx 60 attendees...CRT were probably 10 of those. I was told that invites had gone out to 650 people....Im not sure who these were mind you! They said they will look how these meetings are publicised in future.

Edited by frangar
Added bits and corrected the free entry for museum
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Update from meeting

Well that was "interesting"...much talk of every user group apart from boaters...including the "street art" through nottingham,& Leicester and how towpaths are being "improved"...as well as the work going on at Stoke Bruene Museum....Im sure I heard the new lady in charge of visitor attractions in the East Midlands say that admission was going to be free...which the website confirms!

Myself and a couple of NABO members did try to redress the balance in the Q & A session pointing out that boaters used the canal too and towpath improvements arent always beneficial for the boater in many ways and that we help the local economy by spending money in the area...I also raised the the fact that the publicity for the meeting failed to reach many boaters despite us being one of the few directly paying customer groups...That was met by being told we are in effect subsided!!....I may have muttered outwardly then.... We are hopefully having a meeting with CRT area managers to talk about what boaters might want from moorings & facilities....with luck that might be productive and as ever I will report back to the forum

edited to add

There were approx 60 attendees...CRT were probably 10 of those. I was told that invites had gone out to 650 people....Im not sure who these were mind you! They said they will look how these meetings are publicised in future.

I didn't get an answer as to what had happened to the Bolinder which used to be in the cafe before its revamp. :ninja:

Edited by Ray T
  • Horror 1

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I didn't get an answer as to what had happened to the Bolinder which used to be in the cafe before its revamp. :ninja:

Oh that’s a worry. I’m a bit unsure of the new attractions person…..what did you think of the meeting??

Edited by frangar
Added a bit

I had a look on CRT website and failed to find the meeting.

I find the website far from intuitive, if I want to look at a map, it puts me into some kiddies thing, so now I know that first I have to look for stoppages, and trawl past reams of stuff about Covid.

If its a public meeting it should be open to all. I never got an invite.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I had a look on CRT website and failed to find the meeting.

I find the website far from intuitive, if I want to kook at a map, it puts me into some kidies thing, so now I know that firstbI have to look for stoppages, and trawl past reams of stuff about Covid.

Hence the link I provided for those interested ….…

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Ray T said:

The Bolinder was outdated and couldnt produce a good Latte so was replaced with a 3 cylinder De Longhi.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Update from meeting

edited to add

Thanks @frangar. At least someone is trying to look after our interests.

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Bolinder was outdated and couldnt produce a good Latte so was replaced with a 3 cylinder De Longhi.

Bolinder did make a meat mincer I think….not sure about a coffee machine but some in CRT probably thought that’s what it was…..

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Thanks @frangar. At least someone is trying to look after our interests.

I’m hopefully trying….some say very trying….

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Hearing the report of the  replies at the meeting makes me so glad I am no longer on cart waters, what a bunch......

Trouble is some of us want to explore more of the country than just a barren drainage ditch! So we need to fight to keep what we have.