Pounds per day??

WYDOIN

Featured Posts

Hello All,  Planning a trip for the canals next year. That’s depending on this “Covid” BS.  As of right now Britain is closed to US travel.  Anyway what would be a “round about” figure to plan for in British Pounds to  account to spend per day on the cut? I will be there for approx. 8 days. Looking forward to your answers. Thanks ahead of time. 
Roger P. 

Minimum cost per couple

Eating out at a pub once a day is £30 per couple. £240

Groceries ten pounds per day per couple £80

Beer £5.00 per pint. £10 per day £80

Must have souvenirs: probably worth browsing antique shops. Chandleries might sell model narrowboats! 

There are lots of really good country clothing shops, it's worth thinking about buying a decent smart casual shirt, something I think we do well, flat caps, country style are very popular, but you need the shirt , not a T shirt.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Subsistence, food, drink, entertainment, sewage disposal, fuel, gas, etc.  £56 a day per person. Boat hire £240 a day minimum.

To live to American standards, multiply by a factor of 10.

If he's hiring I would have thought the gas ((this is bottled propane, not petroleum)  etc is included. Not sure about diesel.

It will be difficult to get ice every day for the mint juleps. You'll need to supply your own mint and a bottle of julep. :)

We Brits don't power shower twice a day, a bucket of cold water and a sponge on the rear deck is more invigorating !

Edited by LadyG

Thanks for the quick response. For the “Hire Boat” I am using, included expenditures are fuel, trash pump outs etc. I will be by myself. But your answers are a Great place to start. ? Your Awesome! 
Roger. P. 

9 minutes ago, WYDOIN said:

Thanks for the quick response. For the “Hire Boat” I am using, included expenditures are fuel, trash pump outs etc. I will be by myself. But your answers are a Great place to start. ? Your Awesome! 
Roger. P. 

Just check the small print, to make sure you are allowed to use locks singlehanded.

PS to get real fish and  chips with mushy peas, go to a small shop which the locals use, you may have to queue, they are not always open on a Monday. You will also need to seek out Italian coffee and real ice cream sold in cones. 

Edited by LadyG

My usual budgeting approach to holidays is to spend all my money until it's run out.  The more money I start with, the more I spend.

Boating holidays can be expensive or cheap.  It's up to you.  Some boaters go to a supermarket at the start, and stock up.  Then spend nothing the whole holiday.  Others probably spend thousands in a single week.

Despite what's been written above, boat hire does not cost £240 a day minimum.  A large boat from an expensive company at high season might cost that much though.

Your bigger problem will be if you're going solo.  Most companies don't allow this unless you can prove you're an experienced skipper.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

My usual budgeting approach to holidays is to spend all my money until it's run out.  The more money I start with, the more I spend.

Boating holidays can be expensive or cheap.  It's up to you.  Some boaters go to a supermarket at the start, and stock up.  Then spend nothing the whole holiday.  Others probably spend thousands in a single week.

Despite what's been written above, boat hire does not cost £240 a day minimum.  A large boat from an expensive company at high season might cost that much though.

Your bigger problem will be if you're going solo.  Most companies don't allow this unless you can prove you're an experienced skipper.

Yes., he could try Ellis the hotel boat, which is owned by Quaysider, on Thunderboat, I don't know the details, but I think he is gay, so you know everything will be done to hotel standards. Here on the Chesterfield there are two hire boats, very much family oriented,  more camping than camp!  Nothing to spend money on. 

Are there hire boats at Stratford on Avon? I know there's an ice cream boat, a theatre, full on Shakespeare experience, , plus a lovely river. 

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Subsistence, food, drink, entertainment, sewage disposal, fuel, gas, etc.  £56 a day per person. Boat hire £240 a day minimum.

To live to American standards, multiply by a factor of 10.

£56 a day!! That's a lot.

How much beer are you getting through a day?

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

£56 a day!! That's a lot.

How much beer are you getting through a day?

I've been living off Morissons, the supermarket for four months, and a moderate budget is £10 per day for groceries and toiletries, includes a bottle of Landlord IPA. 

I could pump that up by £10 per day if I ate good steak and good wine, alternatively eating out could add £20 per meal. 

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, WYDOIN said:

None! Don’t drink! 

Why not work out your daily costs in the US convert to Pounds and allow to spend around the same while on the boat but take enough extra to allow for contingencies. Anything surplus is a welcome surprise and you could offset against any keepsakes etc you may purchase. I presume you have already sorted out a boat which is why you know what consumables are included. Are you confident about single handing, have some experience of British canals and are the hire company comfortable with your plans?

Have a great holiday.

Howard

That’s a Great idea. Thanks for that!  The boat companies I have looked at do a instruction session to familiarize the boat, and I do have some boating experience here in the US through my Fire Dept. job.  But sounds like from the rest who have answered I’m ahead of the game due to the fact I don’t drink. No offense to the ones who do. I don’t have any expectations of traveling around and doing all the flights I have heard about and seen. I’m pretty good with gadgets and controls. I’ve been a Firefighter for over 34 years and have certs in boating to include swift water.  Anyway thanks so much for the input. Great idea. 
Roger P. 

If you budget for spending a pound on what you are used to spending a dollar on, you won't go far wrong. We have VAT, a sort of sales tax, which is higher than most sales taxes in the States,. Things will seem expensive compared with back home, but at least you aren't going to Norway! Won't work if one, or the other currency disappears down the toilet between now and when you come over of course.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

11 hours ago, WYDOIN said:

That’s a Great idea. Thanks for that!  The boat companies I have looked at do a instruction session to familiarize the boat.

They will all give you instruction, but as already mentioned hardly any will hire to single handers. Make sure you tell them your plans. A few will if you have a bit of verified experience (ideally hired with them a few times before with a crew). Remember no matter how much other boating experience you have, it only takes a seconds inattention to sink a boat in a lock. Hire companies are not keen on this!!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2021 at 09:11, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If you budget for spending a pound on what you are used to spending a dollar on, you won't go far wrong. We have VAT, a sort of sales tax, which is higher than most sales taxes in the States,. Things will seem expensive compared with back home, but at least you aren't going to Norway! Won't work if one, or the other currency disappears down the toilet between now and when you come over of course.

Jen

The rate of VAT in the UK will mean that many things will look very expensive to you at first glance but bear in mind that unlike the US, the price you see is the price you pay. For the majority of goods you buy, any appropriate taxes will be in the price you see. So no need to add on the sales taxes as you would in most US states. And the tipping culture is much more restrained in the UK as well.

On 27/04/2021 at 09:11, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Believe VAT can be reclaimed at a UK airport for US citizens. Keep your 'appropriate' receipts, you might be entitled to a rebate, about 20%. 

https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/security-customs/vat-refunds/

Edited by Jennifer McM

38 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Believe VAT can be reclaimed at a UK airport for US citizens. Keep your 'appropriate' receipts, you might be entitled to a rebate, about 20%. 

https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/security-customs/vat-refunds/

For the avoidance of doubt the VAT refund scheme is only available for goods you buy in the UK and take home, not for all the VAT you will spend whilst here e.g. on boat hire, restaurant meals etc.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1