Day boat hire - midlands

Kilo

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

All this advice is for day boats and what you want is a 4 berth hire boat for a two day hire

If you mean overnight, then that's a rare thing at the best of time and dependent on availability.  This year, the hire bases will all be fully booked so I can't see any availability for an overnight hire.  This one usually offers it https://www.canalcruising.co.uk/taster-day-hire/  but not this year.

Just now, Laurie Booth I.S.M. said:

It does not say you can't do locks.

It strongly implies it.  Otherwise, why say it at all?  The OP can check, but it seems highly likely it will be a no.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you mean overnight, then that's a rare thing at the best of time and dependent on availability.  This year, the hire bases will all be fully booked so I can't see any availability for an overnight hire.  This one usually offers it https://www.canalcruising.co.uk/taster-day-hire/  but not this year.

It strongly implies it.  Otherwise, why say it at all?  The OP can check, but it seems highly likely it will be a no.

The advert is aimed at complete novices, who would not want to do locks. As you say the OP can always ask 

:)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Last week I saw lots of hire boats not on hire. I wasn't expecting that.  Rose had boats in as did Amarder on the North Oxford canal we actually saw very few hire boats out,

Just now, Laurie Booth I.S.M. said:

The advert is aimed at complete novices, who would not want to do locks. As you say the OP can always ask 

I would think that one of the main draws for novices is doing a few locks. 

If I ran a day boat, I wouldn't let them through locks, and I bet the insurance would be cheaper too.

If I ran a day boat, I wouldn't let them through locks, and I bet the insurance would be cheaper too.

Just the opposite for me. When I first rented a narrow boat I wanted no locks.

That would mean you couldnt hire out day boats in many locations. For instance the 4 hiredout at Lower Heyford have to go through locks or they wouldnt be able to turn to go back to base as the canal isnt wide enough without a winding hole. The nearest one to me is twyford wharfe and their dayboat also goes thrpough locks, i reckon most day hire boats are allowed through. The ones at Bradford on avon also do etc etc.

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Otherwise, why say it at all?  

Because some people (strange I know) find locks hard work and even a little frightening and to say they can have a days lock free cruising is reassuring for those people.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, Kilo said:

I might be able to persuade them if I show them my quals?

Could you persuade the insurance company ?

It tends to be them that determine the rules (ie . no hire boats can move after dark)

Although it does seem that it is not a 'day boat' that you are after as they do not have accomodation - if you are looking for a couple of days then you will need a normal hire boat, maybe for a 'weekend hire' which pretty much every hire company offer (in normal times)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Kilo said:

I like the sound of the occasional pub! I would like them to do a couple of days of training with a boat we can sleep on so we can go for a beer in the evening and a nice meal - just looking at Oxford Crusiers now.

The OP wants to stay overnight  and have a beer and a meal, take his friend and wife so a day boat is no good to him

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Because some people (strange I know) find locks hard work and even a little frightening and to say they can have a days lock free cruising is reassuring for those people.

Then the wording would have given the choice.  Locks if you want or no locks.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

The OP wants to stay overnight  and have a beer and a meal, take his friend and wife so a day boat is no good to him

Some day boats allow overnights.  There's one on the Ashby like that.  But again, no locks.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That would mean you couldnt hire out day boats in many locations. For instance the 4 hiredout at Lower Heyford have to go through locks or they wouldnt be able to turn to go back to base as the canal isnt wide enough without a winding hole. The nearest one to me is twyford wharfe and their dayboat also goes thrpough locks, i reckon most day hire boats are allowed through. The ones at Bradford on avon also do etc etc.

The majority of day boats are located on long pounds.  For obvious reasons.  The only ones which go through locks are where the pounds are short so there's no choice.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

To be honest, it would make a whole load of sense if the just all went on a week's boating holiday together.

Well it would if you had worded it however many people would have worded it the way the site has.  You could equally say that if locks weren't allowed they would clearly have said "you may not go through locks" so that nobody could book expecting to be able to use locks and then be disappointed on picking up the boat. 

I went a bit quiet as I had to go on a Zoom call but lots of info - thanks guys. He originally asked for a day's instruction, it's me trying to turn it in to 2 days and I'd happily go for a week with them as I prefer his wife to him anyway ? but not sure they'd want me on their romantic week away!

At least I have a few options now, thanks and can let him decide what he wants - I'll just be happy to get back on the water.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Some day boats allow overnights.  There's one on the Ashby like that.  But again, no locks.

The majority of day boats are located on long pounds.  For obvious reasons.  The only ones which go through locks are where the pounds are short so there's no choice.

To be honest, it would make a whole load of sense if the just all went on a week's boating holiday together.

It's pretty obvious that the 'lock free cruising' wording is there to appeal to people who don't fancy spending their day doing locks rather than cruising.

Ashby Boats at Stoke Golding used (possibly still do) to promote their location on the Ashby as having the ability to to have a lock free cruise but you were certainly allowed to transit locks if you preferred not to just stay on the Ashby.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The website makes it fairly clear that locks are a no.

But the rules on their terms and conditions make no reference to transit through locks not being allowed.

8. Safety and Other Rules The Hirer agrees to comply with the following rules at all times for the health and safety of the persons on the boat and other persons and for safeguarding the boat and other property: - Not to tow other craft or allow the boat to be towed excepting only professional assistance in the event of breakdown or emergency. Not to cruise after sunset or before sunrise, The boat is equipped only for daytime use. To observe all speed limits, not to race and not to cruise at a speed which creates a breaking wash or disturbs or inconveniences other waterway users. Not to take or have on the boat any dinghies, canoes, inflatables, portable heaters, bicycles, vehicles, lighting equipment, TV sets. electrical appliances (other than electric razors), inflammable liquids or substances, gas cylinders, car batteries, fire arms or any other items which might create dangers or hazards without the Company's prior permission. Not to use the boat for business purposes. Not to allow on the boat at any time more than 8 persons. To give way to laden or unladen cargo boats. sailing craft, rowing boats and other human propelled craft. Not to take the boat on to sea or tidal waters. Not to have or carry any live bait on the boat. At all times to observe all Byelaws, navigational limits or instructions and advice of Canal and River Trust and other navigational authorities and the Company and their respective officers and employees. The Company reserves the right at its discretion without liability to restrict cruising areas or routes in the light of prevailing conditions

Aren't licences cheaper for boats not using locks? I'm fairly sure that this is why Norbury  have the restriction. In such an instance all the experience and qualifications in the world will not persuade the operator to make an exception.

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Loads of places do this.  Norbury Wharf spring to mind as a popular one.

Norbury is not the best place for lock training

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Canalcruising link refers to 2020 not 2021

I know it's going to be difficult availability this year as I'm good friends with the owner of Bearboating and I know they're pretty much fully booked up for this season so it might have to be a day boat - I'll speak to my mate and see what he wants to do.

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

Aren't licences cheaper for boats not using locks? I'm fairly sure that this is why Norbury  have the restriction. In such an instance all the experience and qualifications in the world will not persuade the operator to make an exception.

My understanding is that CRT offer two licence types for day hire boats - with and without the use of locks. Boats based on long lock-free pounds tend to have the no-locks licences, those in locked locations have no choice.

Some years ago we hired a day boat from Streethay, and were very disappointed to find we weren't allowed to pass through locks. Something which I don't think was made clear when we booked.

43 minutes ago, David Mack said:

My understanding is that CRT offer two licence types for day hire boats - with and without the use of locks. Boats based on long lock-free pounds tend to have the no-locks licences, those in locked locations have no choice.

Some years ago we hired a day boat from Streethay, and were very disappointed to find we weren't allowed to pass through locks. Something which I don't think was made clear when we booked.

This is the cost for self drive day boat licences https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/43352-sddh-licence-fees-2021-22.pdf. Does not seem to have a with and without locks option.