Mooring & Shopping in Milton Keynes

RichLech

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I admit to being impressed by MK, loads of open spaces/parks footpaths everywhere, the centre shopping area is horrible but I don't like town centres, shopping areas much anywhere.

Weirdly though it seems to lack something which I couldn't put my finger on, to this day I'm not sure what it is but It never felt homely I suppose.

That aside the place is genuinely impressive with the way they have integrated green space and living space

Could be because, apart from the 'shopping centre' which is 95% national brand companys, there is no actual town centre. The various satellite towns and villages that make up Milton Keynes as a whole mostly have their own small town centres and High Streets, but when visiting MK, in general these areas are not on the list to go have a look. Its a bit of a Marmite town, but we've lived here for over 25 years and like it enough that I doubt we will ever move anywhere else.

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

Could be because, apart from the 'shopping centre' which is 95% national brand companys, there is no actual town centre. The various satellite towns and villages that make up Milton Keynes as a whole mostly have their own small town centres and High Streets, but when visiting MK, in general these areas are not on the list to go have a look. Its a bit of a Marmite town, but we've lived here for over 25 years and like it enough that I doubt we will ever move anywhere else.

I don't know but maybe that was it,  I can certainly understand how people could want to be there

43 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Interesting!, I must confess I like the Central shopping centre / area, which has a good market and has grown as needed, it pulls in shoppers from a huge area. The smaller shopping areas are good and I was impressed when we wanted a new lounge suite to find 7 or 8 big outlets grouped in one area, all within easy walking distance of each other. As said, planning is good with lots of open spaces, when asked, many people hate driving in MK and  complain about roundabouts but few consider the 'grid' layout, or the relevance of 'V' or 'H' roads. Loads of history if you look for it and I am here 'cos my folks met at a dance held at the 'Bull' in Stony Stratford in 1937...................opposite is the inn called the 'Cock' - that's another story.

12 minutes ago, LEO said:

Loads of history if you look for it and I am here 'cos my folks met at a dance held at the 'Bull' in Stony Stratford in 1937...................opposite is the inn called the 'Cock' - that's another story.

Pedant alert.

It's not opposite but down the road a bit, unless if course it's moved in the last 40years ?

I have mixed feelings about MK.

Passing through it by canal it is lovely, all open spaces. Also I nearly bought a canalside house there (near Wolverton) in the early 2000's, but couldnt afford the house and a boat at the time ?, so decided to wait until I had retired.

The bad memories come from BT having offices and a management training centre there, which necessitated frequent trips for meetings and occasional ones for training. 

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Pedant alert.

It's not opposite but down the road a bit, unless if course it's moved in the last 40years ?

Awwww!  I knew it another 'Cock & Bull' story...........Pop reckoned it was opposite but he never had a good  MSD twix the two.

29 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

More to the point CMers are Under Attack as CRT want to reserve moorings for The Visitors

(I'm very soon going to be outed as a fan of a certain Swedish pop group)

But the CMers are The Visitors. They just stay too long. A bit like relatives at Christmas.

45 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

More to the point CMers are Under Attack as CRT want to reserve moorings for The Visitors

(I'm very soon going to be outed as a fan of a certain Swedish pop group)

I've always thought The Visitors to be a very fine album, my favourite of theirs, not least the title track itself.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, CompairHolman said:

No many people know that there are free public orchards hidden away just beside Peartree bridge and another south of Fenny Statford.

There was also a load of fruit trees planted as MK was built at the insistence of the planners, along the canalside poplars are various fruit trees lurking, waiting to be found!

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

There was also a load of fruit trees planted as MK was built at the insistence of the planners, along the canalside poplars are various fruit trees lurking, waiting to be found!

Cracking idea in the right location but I bet the estate management is cursing the planting of all those poplars, oh and whoever planted the avenues of horse chestnuts in the central reservation near the centre  :)