Mooring & Shopping in Milton Keynes

RichLech

Featured Posts

We are planning on cruising down the southern Grand Union next week and will probably need to stock up in Milton Keynes. Can anyone recommend supermarkets close to the canal. 

In addition, where are the best places to moor overnight in Milton Keynes?

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, RichLech said:

We are planning on cruising down the southern Grand Union next week and will probably need to stock up in Milton Keynes. Can anyone recommend supermarkets close to the canal. 

In addition, where are the best places to moor overnight in Milton Keynes?

Thanks 

From what I can gather the CM brigade are moving into Milton Keynes so you might have fun finding a space at all. 

The most convenient supermarket is at Wolverton; there are plenty of other shops nearby too. You can easily moor, almost anywhere, depends what you are looking for. It's nice by Campbell Park with a pleasant uphill stroll into the City Centre (though MK isn't really a city), but everywhere has good piling to moor to & a good towpath.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

From what I can gather the CM brigade are moving into Milton Keynes so you might have fun finding a space at all. 

No, there is plenty of space nearly everywhere.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

The most convenient supermarket is at Wolverton; there are plenty of other shops nearby too. You can easily moor, almost anywhere, depends what you are looking for. It's nice by Campbell Park with a pleasant uphill stroll into the City Centre (though MK isn't really a city), but everywhere has good piling to moor to & a good towpath.

I travelled the southern GU four years ago and based upon comments here expected to find long lines of moored boats through MK but it just wasn’t like that at all. By personal choice I wouldn’t moor anywhere between Cosgrove and Fenny Stratford, but there’s no reason why you shouldn’t or couldn’t.

I’m planning to head that way again this year and continue to London.

Edited by Captain Pegg

16 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Oh that’s interesting. I thought the local iwa branch were asking for more visitor mooring and for it to be enforced better. Maybe it’s being over stated. 

The Tesco's in Wolverton is not that obvious from the canal. As you enter Wolverton (from the north) one of the first things you come across is a line of brand new flats on the towpath side with mooring bollards or rings, can't remember which, and the old run down factories opposite. Moor there, and cross the fancy new bridge, comes out on a main road, turn right and Tesco's is 100 yards or so along.

There is also a Tesco mini in Simpson right near Bowlers Bridge, very close, but you will need to refer to a map to find it.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Not much of an advert for the city, is it? "MK, so grim that even CMers won't stay there".

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dim (nowt unusual tbh) but what is/are CMers ??

Continuous moorers........

Those who declare not to have a home mooring but choose to ABBA cruise, point A to point B stay at point B and return to point A...... whilst some have a cruising pattern within the spirit of the  licensing of boaters without a home mooring, others seem to play the system to suit their needs......

29 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Those who declare not to have a home mooring but choose to ABBA cruise, point A to point B stay at point B and return to point A...... whilst some have a cruising pattern within the spirit of the  licensing of boaters without a home mooring, others seem to play the system to suit their needs......

Thank you

Many years on this stretch we whittled it down to these best moorings for us, from  north to south..

1/2 mile before Wolverton station by Deans road industrial estate, if you moor by the station bridge further on you get the main line trains thundering past. Short walk to Tesco, Asda and Farmfoods. 

Target turn bridge, Stanton low country park, lovely peaceful rural spot with an ASDA store 10 mins walk away. 

Linford manor or Giffard park, CO-OP 10 mins walk away.

Campbell park for MK centre, walk through park or bus stops there every 15 mins.

Pear tree bridge, CO-OP in Netherfield , launderette and a good Chinese takeaway in marina.

Fenny Stratford lock, big retail park 10 mins walk away.

Stoke Hammond, small village shop sells fresh bread baked locally.

Three locks, farm above top lock sells home reared meats, sausages and bacon. 

6 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

1/2 mile before Wolverton station by Deans road industrial estate, if you moor by the station bridge further on you get the main line trains thundering past. Short walk to Tesco, Asda and Farmfoods.

And a country market alternate Saturdays in the town hall car park. Fresh local meat, veg, bread and honey... Was a bit "small scale" during lockdown but gradually building up again

10 hours ago, stagedamager said:

3 people have left ABBA so the linger longers only do A now

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

We moved here to MK (next to bridge 83) over 30 years ago, and we still love it!

Actually it's really good, I've visited North Bucks since I was a kid and been working in and been an 'observer' of MK since it's inception, brilliant place, just misunderstood by people. New building are excellent and the camouflaging of some large storage buildings, superb. Great to drive in and through...........and good to boat through as well.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, LEO said:

Actually it's really good, I've visited North Bucks since I was a kid and been working in and been an 'observer' of MK since it's inception, brilliant place, just misunderstood by people. New building are excellent and the camouflaging of some large storage buildings, superb. Great to drive in and through...........and good to boat through as well.

I admit to being impressed by MK, loads of open spaces/parks footpaths everywhere, the centre shopping area is horrible but I don't like town centres, shopping areas much anywhere.

Weirdly though it seems to lack something which I couldn't put my finger on, to this day I'm not sure what it is but It never felt homely I suppose.

That aside the place is genuinely impressive with the way they have integrated green space and living space