Armstrong Siddeley AS 2 fuel injection pump problems

SLIPWAY

Featured Posts

Hello all, 

Old Shipmate in distress !!!

I have been helping JACKY with her Armstrong Siddeley AS2 diesel engine---------- we can get the engine running on No1 cylinder ( Bow end ) but No2 injection pump just seems to deliver a dribble of fuel rather than the liveley spurt you'd normally get when loosening a working injector feed pipe.........I've tried all the usual "Bleeding" methods on the LP supply (which is a  gravity feed from nearby tank ) on both No1 and No2 equally..................No1 fires up but No2 refuses to pump any large amount at all............I've over 50 years with Diesels ( Royal Navy, British Railways, Royal Mail, Army tanks ) so don't be afraid to talk technical--LoL !!.............Apparently the two pumps were sent away recently for a professional servicing...........Is it possible for the fuel rack to be mis-engaged with the teeth on the helical pumping element during a re-build ??....................HELP !!!

Hi and thanks very much for that swift reply.......yes, I take your point and normally would start to investigate further along those lines but ( isn't there always one of those ?? ).......... two things prevent me at the moment}----

1) I've not long taken over looking after this engine and it would appear I've inherited some rather odd decisions......For example when the owner mentioned to the previous maintenance person about low pressure (LP) fuel leaking from the two banjo bolts attached to the pumps it was decided to send them  "Away for servicing"...  instead of just fitting new, annealed  copper washers......The engine was running ok up to that point it appears.........."Leave well alone" is my motto......

2) As a result of this the owner is trying to find out just where they were sent so we can find out exactly what was done.........and maybe get this one pump re-worked.....So for the moment I don't want to go any further with dismantling......However if we can find another AS2 pump in known working order we could  at least swap one-for-one and hopefully get the engine running normally again.......Anybody out there got one for sale ??

Just a thought}---- It was getting late last Saturday but next visit I'll try the old Toffee Hammer Tap-tap idea along the side, might just shock it loose ??

Many thanks to you all.....

On 25/04/2021 at 22:20, stagedamager said:

I have quite alot of AS stock. Where are you based?

Hi--------- thanks for the recent phone conversation---------Will let you know what happens

Alan 

HOO_RAY !!!.......Sat. 1st May and after a few false starts ( plus several applications of the "toffee hammer" to a suspected stuck outlet valve) it fired up ON TWO CYLINDERS and continued to idle over for nearly an hour.......Alternator charging at 14.75 volts....

Result !!

Happy owner............happy me !!

Thanks to all who helped

Alan 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, SLIPWAY said:

HOO_RAY !!!.......Sat. 1st May and after a few false starts ( plus several applications of the "toffee hammer" to a suspected stuck outlet valve) it fired up ON TWO CYLINDERS and continued to idle over for nearly an hour.......Alternator charging at 14.75 volts....

Result !!

Happy owner............happy me !!

Thanks to all who helped

Alan 

If a hammer won't fix it, its an electrical problem.  Well done, you were right, stuck valve, good guess.

Thanks TD--------  def not a guess but Royal Navy trained intuition following a helpful suggestion on here........... plus a small hammer,naturally...LoL......... Sounds just lovely now, idling over with that classic thump---thump----thump..

The boat is the MV Pine, currently moored at Norbury Junction, Staffordshire.......... and will be coming up for sale some time soon................Any takers ??

Edited by SLIPWAY

13 minutes ago, SLIPWAY said:

Thanks TD--------  def not a guess but Royal Navy trained intuition following a helpful suggestion on here........... plus a small hammer,naturally...LoL......... Sounds just lovely now, idling over with that classic thump---thump----thump..

The boat is the MV Pine, currently moored at Norbury Junction, Staffordshire.......... and will be coming up for sale some time soon................Any takers ??

Incidentally...........Do you know what happened to Columbia, shortened elm bottom, with an AS in? I lost touch with it about 14 years ago.

Sorry...... can't help you there I'm afraid.........I'm new to this hobby /addiction ..LoL !!.........maybe Pine's owner Jacky might know....I'll ask her to reply on here...